Louis Vuitton Speedy - Classic or Chavvy???

50's Girl

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm planning on investing in a classic designer bag with money from my 21st birthday.

My first thought was the Louis Vuitton Speedy 30 in either Monogram Canvas or Damier Canvas - but is this a bit too WAG?

Other options being a similar size and style from Gucci in classic Gucci monogram in brown and black?

I'm open to other suggestions also about the £300 mark? Something Classic and Timeless?

Thanks!

maybe a Chanel?

But the Louis Vuitton Speedy sounds a good choice. My mam had it in Monogram Canvas and she says "it goes with just about anything"

:flower:

my first designer bag was a LV speedy. Mine is in black epi leather and i consider it as a classic. Personally I prefer non monogram bags

My first designer bag was a LV, I think they are classic, so long as you go for Monogram.

I was 14 when I got my first so I got a white one :( !

Anyone seen the ghastly new camouflage collection !!?

the Speedy really goes with anything. and can be used as a small carry-on and citybag. useful little bugger lol.

I like the speedys a lot as long as they aren't monogram. The damier canvas, damier azur, and epi are cute.

And as many people already pointed out, they go well with many outfits so it's easy to fit into a wardrobe. :flower:

If I had to get a speedy i'd go with black or yellow epi, but it's really hard to find a nice designer bag in the £300 range. someone suggested chanel, but yeah right, i don't think you can get one of those for under £1200. maybe you'll want to join us at the ioffer thread.... :ninja:

maybe you'll want to join us at the ioffer thread.... :ninja:

:rofl: So true

50's girl, You will get a lot of use out of the speedy. My mom has one and she has had it for at least 20 years and she still gets a ton of use out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ mini lin is so tacky, and way overpriced. $800 for a fabric bag? and it's not even coated with pvc to give the illusion of leather like the normal lv bags :rofl:

You can't go wrong with a LV Speedy. They are timeless and even if you "outgrow" it for more expensive and trendy designer bags, you can always save it and pass it on to your daughter. In my opinion, the old vintage LV Speedy's are the best... they only get prettier with age.

Whether the Speedy is classic or chavvy, I think it really depends. The shape itself is classic. The LV monogram is also classic in my opinion, but it can look really bad or really good depending on your outfit. If the WAG/chav thing bothers you, don't get it in monogram. Epi and Damier are better choices unless you really love the mono and must have it.

You can't go wrong with a LV Speedy. They are timeless and even if you "outgrow" it for more expensive and trendy designer bags, you can always save it and pass it on to your daughter. In my opinion, the old vintage LV Speedy's are the best... they only get prettier with age.

I agree. They do get better with age. I like LV for this.

I agree. I have never wanted a brand new LV bag, I don't like the look, but when they get old and patina-ed I just loved how they look.

The Speedy is a classic, even in the monogram canvas. It's definitely more subtle in the Epi, but the design is so timeless that you'll definitely get lots of wear out of it.

I love my speedy to bits. I didnt get the mono though - i opt for the epi leather instead which is more subtle and discreet. You may want to take a look on the epi range if you are afraid of carrying something that screams LV.

Personally I have nothing against people carrying monogram - IF they have the right attitudes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they aren't tacky if they are in moderation. The Damier Canvas is beautiful, I'm getting that one too

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on investing in a classic designer bag with money from my 21st birthday.

My first thought was the Louis Vuitton Speedy 30 in either Monogram Canvas or Damier Canvas - but is this a bit too WAG?

Other options being a similar size and style from Gucci in classic Gucci monogram in brown and black?

I'm open to other suggestions also about the £300 mark? Something Classic and Timeless?

Thanks!

If you are going to go the monogram route, I'd stay away from Gucci ... LV is a much better/longer lasting (fashion and otherwise) choice (if you absolutely have to go with mono). JMO, of course.:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamal2isgood
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->