Luxury Shopping - Salespeople?

1) no dirty looks!!!!. there are alot of very rude and terrible sales people in the chicagoland area (especially NM) they scan you up and down. Sorry, but on my days off I like to wear relaxing clothes. All other days I need to wear suit like clothes for work. it's just seems to me like my money is no good to them if my outfit is less than 5k! and that's my beef!

I actually have a friend who is from a very wealthy familyand also married into a wealthy one. One day she walked into a NM (and believe me she blows money like I blow my nose :smile: she was wearing some plain clothes (she doesn't really show off, not the type) and as soon as she walked in she got the look. When she asked to try on a chanel suit, she was directed to the sale rack and was informed that the big sale won't start for antoher week.Well, from what I understand hell broker loose. and did I mention that she's a pretty damn good attorney?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a really lovely SA the other day.

I was dressed a little strangely, because I change the way I look a lot and was carrying one of my inexpensive fun bags and she was very friendly.

I wanted a wallet and I am very cheap when it comes to wallets, unlike my purse obsession which seems to know no limits...*coughs* but that's another story.

Anyway, she showed me different wallets and helped me find one that would go with everything and was of goog quality, only thing was that it was camel/beige in colour. I have something of a thing with beige, as in a complete distaste for it.

So she suggested I just place it on hold and think it over, since she did not want to sell me anything I did not want and she gave me a 30% off one item in the store coupon for a sale that was starting in a few days and she said the wallet probably would not even be put back on the sales floor until after the sale started.

I went home, did a bit more research and then I went back a few days later and got the wallet. I don't regret it at all, it is highly functional, easy to get into, and the leather is so nice that I don't mind the colour because I know it really will go with everything. I was certain to go by and thank the SA for her help.

It is a Longchamp leather wallet and I think the best part is that it was originally $200 USD and I got it for $75 with tax.

It was a much better experience then the last few I had there before, with a different SA.

amara...what store was that?...i'm curious...
thx...

softgrey said:
clueless...can you share what was so special about the mac store?...
thx...

Hmmmm. It's kind of hard to say....as I said in my last post, I do like a bit of time to take it my surroundings and everything befores the SA's pounce.....and they seem to understand that. They are not pushy if you don't want something, and they are very knowledable about their products....I think when stores interview potential employees, they need to be very, very selective. I think MAC are because all of their staff are relaxed and friendly. I don't know, but you know how some people just have good personalities and are a 'peoples person'? I think all stores need to hire people like that!

oh...i know just what you mean clueless...
i think it really makes such a difference when people actually like their jobs...
they are just so much more pleasant...

Oh sorry. That was Off Saks, I really can't resist high end outlet stores (that sounds like an oxymoron), I find such good deals.

I know a lot of people don't like outlets, but the ones here are great, I actually like them better then the ones near where I lived in SF.

Oh and I forgot to add the things I look for in an SA...

Honesty is important, don't try to sell me something just to sale me something.

No pressure, if I declined help from the last FIVE SA's in the Nordstroms shoe department then chances are I don't need you also asking if I need help.

Friendly, don't make me feel like I don't have the right to shop in 'your' store unless I am just oozing money and buying everything in sight, I have the right to window shop and scout out future purchases without you eyeing me with distaste.

Don't ignore me, if it is obvious no one has tried to help me, you are sitting there looking bored and I am standing around obviously looking for something (some freaking help among those things) then try helping me...you would be amazed how doing stuff keeps boredom at bay.

Smile, even if you have to fake cheer through your day, I deserve fake cheer, I don't like 95% percent of people, especially children and I have social anxiety issues and I can still fake genuine niceness to clients. If I can do it, so can you.

Kora said:
I actually have a friend who is from a very wealthy familyand also married into a wealthy one. One day she walked into a NM (and believe me she blows money like I blow my nose :smile: she was wearing some plain clothes (she doesn't really show off, not the type) and as soon as she walked in she got the look. When she asked to try on a chanel suit, she was directed to the sale rack and was informed that the big sale won't start for antoher week.Well, from what I understand hell broker loose. and did I mention that she's a pretty damn good attorney?
Ooooh, I'd love to hear exactly what she said and what happened.

AlexN said:
Ooooh, I'd love to hear exactly what she said and what happened.

She's well spoken, if you know what I mean :smile:
I'll try to get the scoop from her. I'm sure it was interesting.:angry:

"Smile, even if you have to fake cheer through your day, I deserve fake cheer, I don't like 95% percent of people, especially children and I have social anxiety issues and I can still fake genuine niceness to clients. If I can do it, so can you."

Amara--that's so right!!! I couldn't agree with you more.

Soft--thx again. This is a great discussion. Too many good points brought up to respond to right now, but I'll tell you a story that happened to me last week:

A woman came in and asked if I was Chris. She said that somebody had recommended me to help her find an outfit, told me how much she hated to shop and was unhappy about her body. She made jewelry and was having a show the following week, so she needed something cool and dressy enough to make her stand out. She had never been in before so I basically gave her a "tour" of the store. She was completely overwhelmed because she liked everything. She had to leave to make her hair appointment down the street, but assured me she would return afterward.

Much later she returned with a fresh cut, colour and husband in tow. I complimented her hair (genuinely). She told me that she loved everything I had shown her before and we just dove in.....many outfits later, we reached a point of confusion. (in the meantime, her husband had found a pair of jeans and three shirts) She was overwhelmed and confused because she liked too much and had never had such a good experience with clothing. I had to be the one to talk her OUT of a few pieces just to narrow her decision down. Long story short, after 2 hours, 2 glasses of champagne and many changes both she and her husband left with new outfits and smiles on their faces. The next day I sent them a thank you card saying that it was a pleasure meeting them and wishing her luck on her show. The following day I received a thank you card from her (before she got mine).

The whole situation just served as a reminder of how important service is. Something I obviously know, but sometimes even SAs need a good experience to rejuvinate themselves.

Where's Theory. He's definitely one that appreciates good service and could add to this conversation.

yeah...i was thinking the same thing...
theory...where you at?!?!?.....

so...didn't it feel good chris???...

i actually miss my retail days...i really enjoyed helping customers and i only left because there were other things i wanted to do as well...

it can be really fun and satisfying...anything can be if you enjoy it and feel good about doing it...

so chris...can i ask you to be more specific...

what sorts of things did you talk about?...what kinds of questions did you ask her in order to guage what she might like or not like...did you ask any questions about what sorts of colours she likes ?...or did you just suggest colours you thought would be good for her?...what about shapes and silhouettes?...etc...

Yes, it did feel good. You know, there are days when retail can be hell and all it takes is one customer to lift your mood and set you straight. I absoulutely LOVE my job, but it can be a tough one, just like everything else. It always reminds of that editorial letter that is circulated every year at Holiday that talks about being nice to the people in retail because of everything they have to put up with. I need to find that....

Like I said, she expressed that she was unhappy with her body and I just rolled my eyes and said "pshaw! Honey, we all have to work with what we were given". Too which I think took her by surprise and made her trust me. So we talked about shapes that would work for her and what she liked to wear. She was very open to my suggestions regarding shape. Didn't like skirts (even though I put her in one that she fell in love with) so we mainly started with pants. She liked colour in general so we could play around with it, especially since she was going to make a piece of jewelry based on the outfit. In the meantime, I asked her questions about herself, unrelated to clothing. Not deep, personal stuff, just friendly chit chat so that it doesn't seem like I'm "selling" her something.....

I think that's a very important thing with sales. Dale Carnagie said something about guiding a person to make their own decisions so they never feel like they are being "sold" something and I've always remembered that. When I used to have a large staff to train I always used the analogy of shopping with your best friend that Meg (i think) pointed out.

On the other hand there are shoppers like Faust who I respect and keep my distance (I'm one of those shoppers as well). These are the types of customers that I could have an amazing conversation with about something entirely unrelated to clothing and the next thing you know I'm ringing up a huge sale.

It just goes to show that everybody is an individual and wants to be treated as such.

I do have to say that I am probably worse than shopping with your best friend. I am honest to almost a fault. When I worked for a large company and told a customer no, that doesn't work for you and they left without buying anything, I actually got in trouble:shock: That's when I knew that retail was for me:lol:

Judging people by first impression is much harder these days because we all have a little bit of "schizo chic" about us. Most of my customers shop in Juicy sweats:ninja: but spend gobs of money. So you never know. My first realization of this came very early in my career (you knew there was going to be a Merry Go Round story coming from me). It was my 2nd week of work at a very competitive, commission based store. We were vultures, but some of the staff would steal your customer just as fast as they would turn their back on somebody they didn't think was worth it. It was five minutes to close and an older couple that, to be blunt, were quite scary came in. Nobody would help them and basically made me do it. Still be wet behind the ears from training I followed my "6 steps of selling" to a T, never once paying attention to my co workers saying "there not going to buy anything". At the end of it I had a $900 sale, which you have to remember in those days was a big deal for a mall store. (hell I still get excited about a $1000 sale even though it's not an uncommon thing for me).

and just in case you were wondering what "The 6 Steps of Selling" were:

1--approach
2--pivot to merchandise
3--presentation
4--pivot to dressing room
5--dressing room techinque(this is where we got really pushy)
6--close(we don't give refunds:lol:)

all those years of training staffs, I will never forget them. If you put the video on, I could probably quote right along with it:lol:

thx chris...good stuff...i actually brought up the best friend thing...and meg agreed...
i like what you said about friendly chit chat so itt doesn't seem like you are selling them something...

LOL...those merry-go-round rules are funny..."pivot"...sound slike you're doing a dance...and in a way... i guess you are...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinnybackstage
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->