Luxury Shopping - Salespeople?

For me:

They're not snooty. They only offer to help if you genuinely look like you need help or you ask for help.

It might be a coincidence, but at Hermès in Milan and Munich I've met some of the nicest SAs ever. Very friendly and polite, never intrusive in any way, and if you need help they are there.

I finally had a chance to read that article Tott. Thanks! :flower:
I think I love her!

softgrey said:
What are you looking for from the salespeople in a luxury dept store or specialty store... like barney's, saks fifth ave, neiman marcus, harvey nichols, isetan...etc...

What are the top five things you expect from your sales associate that would make your shopping experience a positive one and would keep you coming back and maybe even recommend that store to others?...

Please share your thoughts.

1. Friendly and approachable
2. Genuinely interested & knowledgeable in fashion
3. Respectful
4. Attentitive but unintrusive
5. Honest/Realistic

I suppose some are redundant. :blush:

it's ok to be redundant jolie...
maybe most of us are generally looking for the same thing... :D

droogist said:
OMG. I used to work there! :rofl: Many, many moons ago. I no longer live in New York and haven't talked to anyone IF-related for a year or two now, but I'm still pretty surprised by your review. I know there were some staff changes, but...things must have really changed. A lot. (I guess I worked there during "IF: The Chatty Years.")

Well faust, for what it's worth,, if you were ever in IF while I was in IF, I hope I was nice to you...although, truth be told, I was utter rubbish at sales. :neutral:

:o It really was different when you worked there. I don't know what happened. Hmm, I don't seem to recall you, I mostly dealt with a girl named Peta. But it used to be "chatty".

Yeah, Peta was cool. Last I heard she'd moved back Down Under.

Actually your last posts sent me on a little trip down memory lane, and now I feel the need to chime in with a few words in IF's defense. I won't attempt to defend the sales staff, since I don't know who works there anymore and they could very well blow every bit a ferociously as you describe. :P But I would feel a bit sad if people stopped going there altogether; I still have a lot of affection for the shop, and for the owners/buyers. They have a very independent spirit and run the shop in a very personal way, they don't follow trends, and they're not afraid to take chances on new talents. And I think the way they buy shows a great deal of respect for the designers, by which I mean, they buy A LOT from each designer. They don't do things in half measures - when they commit to a collection they really buy it.

I know the place can seem unprofessional at times, and that the IF ladies themselves can be tough to take - lord know that as their former employee I fantasized throttling them many times over :D - but they can also be really sweet and in a lot of ways I admire the way they do business.

Hope that didn't get too sentimental. I surprise myself sometimes...

Last edited by a moderator:
droogist said:
Yeah, Peta was cool. Last I heard she'd moved back Down Under.

Actually your last posts sent me on a little trip down memory lane, and now I feel the need to chime in with a few words in IF's defense. I won't attempt to defend the sales staff, since I don't know who works there anymore and they could very well blow every bit a ferociously as you describe. :P But I would feel a bit sad if people stopped going there altogether; I still have a lot of affection for the shop, and for the owners/buyers. They have a very independent spirit and run the shop in a very personal way, they don't follow trends, and they're not afraid to take chances on new talents. And I think the way they buy shows a great deal of respect for the designers, by which I mean, they buy A LOT from each designer. They don't do things in half measures - when they commit to a collection they really buy it.

I know the place can seem unprofessional at times, and that the IF ladies themselves can be tough to take - lord know that as their former employee I fantasized throttling them many times over :D - but they can also be really sweet and in a lot of ways I admire the way they do business.

Hope that didn't get too sentimental. I surprise myself sometimes...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the store. And that's exactly why it feels so messed up. If a SA in Saks snubbed me, I wouldn't give a damn.

I still can't recall you. Were you tall and blonde (I realize I'm talking to a Dutch girl, but still :lol: )?

Oh no, I do live in the Netherlands but I was the Asian girl...um, I mean, one of the Asian girls!

*Friendly
*Competent and knowledgable
*One that does not treat me as thier commision (Giving me 20 pairs of pants to tryon)
* Honesty

And Invisible - till I need assistant of course.

just to add my two cents...
the first thing faust said he wanted was to be left alone...but then he felt snubbed when he was ignored...hmmmm...

personally...that is the very reason i like IF...they leave me alone...it's very easy to see where they are if i need help or have a question...(not like the place is huge)...

i'm not going in there to chat cause i'm bored...i'm a power shopper...and i don't usually want to talk to anyone about anything other than what i am shopping for or buying...

IF works really well for someone like me...
barney's is the same way...

but lord help the sales associate who can't answer my question if i have one...
what else are they there for ??!?!?!!?!!?....i have no patience...

droogist said:
Oh no, I do live in the Netherlands but I was the Asian girl...um, I mean, one of the Asian girls!

i remember you ...you're cute...
you move around quite a bit i see... ^_^

softgrey said:
just to add my two cents...
the first thing faust said he wanted was to be left alone...but then he felt snubbed when he was ignored...hmmmm...

personally...that is the very reason i like IF...they leave me alone...it's very easy to see where they are if i need help or have a question...(not like the place is huge)...

i'm not going in there to chat cause i'm bored...i'm a power shopper...and i don't usually want to talk to anyone about anything other than what i am shopping for or buying...

IF works really well for someone like me...
barney's is the same way...

but lord help the sales associate who can't answer my question if i have one...
what else are they there for ??!?!?!!?!!?....i have no patience...

do you like it when you pass within a foot of them and they know you are there, but pretend that they don't and don't even say 'hello'?

droogist said:

Oh, I think I remember you. Were you there until about two years ago?

faust said:
do you like it when you pass within a foot of them and they know you are there, but pretend that they don't and don't even say 'hello'?
^_^ ....yes.... :innocent:

when i say leave me alone...i REALLY mean it...
i don't want to be approached...i just want them available if i need them...

faust said:
Oh, I think I remember you. Were you there until about two years ago?

That might not be me, I left NY in 2001. It can be confusing, I know - IF seemed to have a hiring policy that required them to have at least one female Asian employee at all times :D There was one before/during my time there, and I know there was one immediately after.

droogist said:
That might not be me, I left NY in 2001. It can be confusing, I know - IF seemed to have a hiring policy that required them to have at least one female Asian employee at all times :D There was one before/during my time there, and I know there was one immediately after.

(scratches head) :blush:

softgrey said:
i remember you ...you're cute...
you move around quite a bit i see... ^_^

Oh thanks, softgrey (I do hope you got the right girl! :P)

love that story, Kora...

I usually get treated very well in Saks and semi-upscale stores, but I've never really shopped in more upscale boutiques/dept stores..

The top things I like in an SA:
- Not recommending things. I have my own style, credit card, and brain, thanks.
- Starting a dressing room for me... but that seems like it's a given anymore..
- Taking all the discounts they can possibly take for you without getting in trouble
- Don't follow me, whether it's to see if I need something or to see if I'm going to steal something. One of the worst stores for customer service is Pittsburgh Jeans Company.. a bunch of girls with shiny black hair and Citizens on, following you around like you're going to spit on the sale rack jeans, all the while leaving the Botkier bags completely unwatched right by the door. What?!!!

so-called...
don't you think a slaesperson's suggestions might actually be helpful once you've started trying things on and they can see what you like and what is working for you...since they know the stock well...they might be able to guide you towards something you might have overlooked...no?...

i find that a good saleperson will see what i'm interested in ..and especially if they don't have my size in something...can steer me towards something else that has a similar feel...of course if i'm looking at all blk and they start showing me hot pink...then i know they just want to sell me something...or that they're just very bad at this job and should really find a new one....because they aren't going to sell much to anyone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinnybackstage
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->