Lydia Hearst

ducky

Reaction score
She has already been discussed, but April's Italian Vogue Cover Girl, Lydia Hearst, has been named by people magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful.. now, of course, they are biased and only use people that are actresses or socialites, (lydia falling in the former, as her family is worth a reported 3 billion...) and she booked the prada fw04 campaigne, and did either D&G or dolce and gabanna.... i dont remember which one...

She's on her way.. and made it on her own, without using her parents money to get her there,, it was this cover that shot her into recognition..

This picture looks slightly altered, in the rest of the editorial inside she is much more beautiful, less alien like, and more picturesque... i will attempt to scan some.. no promises... hehe

I've bought that Vogue, too. At first I didn't like the cover but with the time it became more and more beautiful to me. She really is special.

wow- she looks so much like her mother . . .

If you don't know the story of the Heast family, I'd encourage you to check it out- I promise you'll be fascinated :blink:

The infamous Patty pic

Here is another of Lydia and mother from 2000-

Sorry if I am going OT, but I am obsessed with the Hearst legacy :blush:

I wonder what that Hearst legacy thing is about. I've searched a little bit, but didn't find anything. Can you link me something to read about it? It sounds interesting.

Has Lydia lost some weight between that last getty-picture and the Vogue cover? :blink:

the Patty Hearst story:

The astonishing public odyssey of publishing heiress Patty Hearst began two and a half decades ago and continues to the current day. San Franciscans were stunned when the 19 year-old granddaughter of publishing baron William Randolph Hearst was kidnapped from her apartment at 2603 Benvenue Avenue in Berkeley by the leftist Symbionese Liberation Army. Even more unexpected were images of the machine gun-toting child of privilege in surveillance footage as she and her kidnappers robbed the Hibernia Bank at the corner of Noriega and 22nd in San Francisco just two months later on April 15, 1974.
In conjunction with robbing the bank (now the Hollywood Video seen here), the SLA released tapes in which Patty denounced her capitalist roots, changed her name to Tania, and announced she had joined the group whose motto was, "Death to the fascist insect that preys upon the life of people." Hearst was used as leverage to extort six million dollars in food for the poor from her wealthy family. The public anxiously followed the story of a political kidnapping by terrorists in America and debated Patty's role in the dramatic events.

The SLA's radical mission to free the planet from oppression was short lived. About a month after the Hibernia Bank robbery more than 500 armed officers descended upon a South Central Los Angeles bungalow for a shoot out with the SLA whose members had assassinated Oakland school Superintendent Marcus Foster in addition to the Hearst kidnapping and other crimes. The bungalow burned to the ground with six SLA members inside. Patty's adventure continued as she was shuttled between SLA safe houses, including one at 1235 Masonic Street, for a year before being arrested in San Francisco at 625 Morse Street near the border of Daly City.

In spite of her defense that she participated only under duress (she was locked in a closet for weeks), Patty was sentenced to seven years for armed robbery following a sensational trial in which she was defended by noted attorney F. Lee Bailey. After 22 months her sentence was commuted by President Jimmy Carter. Hearst wrote a book about her experience with the SLA then went on to act in films, including several directed by John Waters. In 2000 Hearst appeared as the distraught mother of a young member of a group of cinema terrorists who kidnap Melanie Griffith's movie star character and force her to participate in crimes before recruiting her as a willing follower in Waters's film Cecil B. Demented.

Hearst was pardoned for her crimes by President Bill Clinton during the final days of his administration. Former SLA member Kathleen Soliah was arrested in a 1999 traffic stop after hiding for 24 years as Sara Jane Olsen and living an exemplary life in a Minneapolis suburb. Hearst claimed in her book, "Every Secret Thing" that Soliah participated in the 1975 hold up of the Crocker National Bank in Carmichael, California. Bank customer Myrna Lee Opsahl was killed during the robbery. In October, 2001 Soliah pled guilty to conspiracy for helping to plant bombs - which did not go off - under Los Angeles police patrol cars in 1975. In January, 2002, Soliah and others were charged with the murder of Opsahl. Defendants Bill Harris, Emily Harris Montague, Michael Bortin, and Soliah pleaded guilty to second-degree murder on November 6, 2002 and were sentenced to six to eight years in prison. James Kilgore, the last remaining SLA fugitive, was arrested in Cape Town, South Africa, two days later. Kilgore pleaded guilty to possessing a pipe bomb and, on May 13, 2003, plead guilty to Opsahl's murder as well. Patty Hearst Shaw and her husband Bernard Shaw live in Connecticut with their two daughters.

Copyright MisterSF.com

Why doesn't Lydia use the surname Shaw?

Originally posted by Candace@May 25th, 2004 - 5:28 pm
I wonder what that Hearst legacy thing is about. I've searched a little bit, but didn't find anything. Can you link me something to read about it? It sounds interesting.

Has Lydia lost some weight between that last getty-picture and the Vogue cover? :blink:
Well--- In the beginning there was William Randolph Hearst- the media tycoon who built the family empire. Read up on him here His manipulation of 20th century media is fascinating and troubling when one thinks about how the same sort of manipulation through media exists today- and on an even more comprehensive scale. Its just not controlled by one man these days, but large conglomerates of faceless minions :alien:
You may also want to rent a little movie called "Citizen Kane" which was "inspired" by WR Hearst- by inspired I mean that Hearst was so mad about the film he wanted it destroyed before it could be released. I won't even get into the awesome-ness of this movie here- go to pbs' website

"The Cat's Cradle"? is a pretty recent movie about unsolved murder that occured on Hearst's yacht. Kirsten Dunst plays Hearst's long-time mistress Marion Davies. The costumes are great, but it's no Citizen Kane :P

Patricia Hearst, grand-daughter of WR, was kidnapped by the Symbionese Liberation Army and participated in some armed robberies along side her abductors. She spent some time in jail for one of the charges, but was leter granted a pardon and released.This sitehas tons of info on Patty and trial.

Patty's intimate relationship with her abductors was suggested to be psychological response that may develop in kidnapping/hostage situations known asStockholm Syndrome This was in the news a lot during the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping.

Patty has developed into quite the pop icon- showcased by the queen of kitch and the manically absurd John Waters in a bunch of his movies. She had parts in Serial Mom, Pecker, and in Cecil B. Demented- which is about the kidnapping of a movie star who joins in on the groups unlawfull antics. . . I'm Hearst crazy- enjoy :wink:

That is one insane background story. :o Here's a more recent shot of Lydia at the Calvin Klein party.

Wow :o Thanks for the background story... I have to admit that I find it cool somehow. The guerilla-style machinegung picture reminds me of the beginnings of the camo-era. :rolleyes:

I actually really like the cover but dont like any of the follolwing photos. In them she doesntseem to have anything special. :ninja:

Originally posted by Alliecat@May 27th, 2004 - 4:50 am
I actually really like the cover but dont like any of the follolwing photos. In them she doesntseem to have anything special. :ninja:
agree......I like the cover only

I know its Lydia Hearst on that cover, however I only like that particular photo of her. The other ones I've seen doesn't really do it for me.

In fact that Italian Vogue cover looks to me to be more like Lily Donaldson than it is Lydia. So I agree that there must have been some manipulation done, or maybe it was just the angle of the shot. :unsure:

And woah, I've never known the whole of the Hearst legacy. Now I know. And now I want to see Citizen Kane.

Model Behavior
At 19, Lydia Hearst has Prada, Louis Vuitton, Heatherette, and Costume National campaigns under her "vintage gladiator" belt

NEW YORK - Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Apparently, modeling is in the genes for the Hearst family. High on the heels of her well known—and Hearst Magazines heiress—cousin, Amanda Hearst, Lydia Hearst, whose mom Patricia is the sister to Anne Hearst, has risen to become one of the most sought-after fashion models this season. The 19-year-old Ford model stars in four very diverse ad campaigns, all set to debut this fall. There’s the highly-coveted Prada campaign, photographed by Steven Meisel; Costume National, photographed by fine arts photographer David Mushegain; Heatherette, photographed by Boy George; and perhaps the real jewel of the bunch, the inaugural Louis Vuitton fine jewelry campaign, where she is photographed by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin alongside New York model Anne Marie and Supreme model Natasha Poly.

“I’d like to think I was chosen because they liked my talent,” the modest Hearst told The Daily. “My mom [Patricia] told me that it was important to always stay true to oneself, and I’ve applied that principle to my work ethic as well.” Unlike many of her fellow models, who have become victims of diva-like behavior, Hearst is as easy going as they get. “The only thing I always need to have with me is a little Vaseline to take makeup off with, and to deal with my chapped lips.” Having modeled for only nine months, the 5’7” blonde has also just finished shooting fashion spreads for Japanese Vogue, Another, Mixte and Italian Vogue. The rising college junior and Wilton, Connecticut native described her diverse shoots as magical and unforgettable—and specifically summed up shooting the Prada campaign as calm and relaxed; Costume National as sleek and elegant; Heatherette as crazy and erratic; and Louis Vuitton as something she will never forget. “Those diamonds in the Louis Vuitton campaign were amazing,” she said. “It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I fell in love with each and every single piece of jewelry.”

Fashion Week Daily-has photo of her in current Prada ad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->