MacBook

Yes, I would recommend especially if you own another OSX or iOS device. :smile:

Did you download it yourself? I really want to buy it, but it's 4GB :shock:
Can't really imagine how much time needed to download it :( and not to mention if the downloading process suddenly stop in the middle..

Yup, all by myself. It took me less than an hour to download, really. :smile:
And you can pause it whenever you like, when you're ready again the download will resume right from where it stopped. ^_^

I've heard that upgrading to Mountain Lion shortens battery life for up to 3 hours :shock:, is that true?

I'm currently running OS Leopard, if I wanted to upgrade to OS Mountain Lion how would I go about it?

I'm currently running OS Leopard, if I wanted to upgrade to OS Mountain Lion how would I go about it?

I understand you can't upgrade directly from Leopard (v. 10.5.x), it has to be either Snow Leopard (10.6.8) or Lion (10.7.x). Also Apple has a list of machines that can run Mountain Lion, though I read on reviews that it's basically that, can run Mountain Lion, but it probably won't be a satisfying experience. And you have to get either Snow Leopard or Lion to get Mountain Lion upgrade. :doh:

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

It can be downloaded from the Mac app store, although you may have to upgrade to Snow Leopard and Lion first before you are able to get Mountain Lion.

Yup, all by myself. It took me less than an hour to download, really. :smile:
And you can pause it whenever you like, when you're ready again the download will resume right from where it stopped. ^_^

Is your internet downloading speed always that fast or is it because apple's server?
That's a good information to know.. thank you so much :flower:

Yeah, unfortunately you have to upgrade to OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8 or Lion first... And that's another reason why I have to download OS X Mountain Lion, because mine now is OS X 10.6.8 and if I don't upgrade to Mountain Lion then I won't be able to upgrade to any newer OS X :doh:

I have a bit of a problem but not sure if it's got to do with the charger or actual computer and figured I should ask here instead of going to Apple :lol::

- About half a year ago the green/orange light doesn't work for the most part.. I figured it was normal after so much use and since it still charges, I didn't think it was necessary to change it. The orange light turns on occasionally as a matter of fact.

- I use my laptop in weird positions (vertical/sideways when laying like that on bed, etc) so the other day when I hanged it from my knees :smile:ninja:smile:, I heard as if a coin was inside the computer, moving all the way down (since it was facing down!). I thought something could be broken but it all kept performing okay..

- since 3-4 days ago, my computer only charges on flat surfaces. :cry:

Has anyone experienced anything like this? or have had to get a new charger after some time (I've had mine for almost 4 years).

After sounding like I bully my beloved computer, I should add I never leave it charging when I'm away and shut it down every single night.

Thanks for the prompt replies guys. So would I be paying twice (thrice) for the upgrade? And what do you guys think? Should I upgrade? Is it worth it?

EDIT: Reading one of the earlier posts, it seems I need 4GB worth of memory, my memory is only 2GB. So would I still be able to upgrade? :unsure:

Thanks for the prompt replies guys. So would I be paying twice (thrice) for the upgrade? And what do you guys think? Should I upgrade? Is it worth it?

EDIT: Reading one of the earlier posts, it seems I need 4GB worth of memory, my memory is only 2GB. So would I still be able to upgrade? :unsure:

Mountain Lion has pretty much same requirements than Lion and Lion can run with 2 GB, but it runs slower, especially with some memory hogging apps (e.g. Opera, Safari), those start to use hard drive excessively and it slows everything down. 4 GB or more RAM definitely make Lion/Mountain Lion more worthwhile.
Speaking for me, I don't think I would try to use Lion/Mountain Lion with 2 GB. My old Snow Leopard already tested my patience with 2 GB, it was too sluggish and that spinning rainbow ball was driving me nuts. :rofl:
In the end it's up to you to decide, depends on what you use your Mac for most of the time. You could look up Activity Manager to see how much RAM your usual processes take up, might help to find out the answer. If you have zero free memory (System Memory panel) on your average workload as is, then consider upgrading more than just the OS, but yes, it is possible with just 2 GB. :flower:

I'm planning on getting my first apple product ever next year: a macbook pro. Right now I'm debating whether or not I can live without a DVD/CD player on my laptop. I haven't used mine in months (cuz I stream from hulu mainly) but I might need it. The retina display looks too fabulous to pass up though.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting the retina display macbook pro, and just buy one of those plug-in dvd connecters. But I have some time to figure it out (apple why must your products be so costly!?!)

Right now I'm leaning towards getting the retina display macbook pro, and just buy one of those plug-in dvd connecters. But I have some time to figure it out (apple why must your products be so costly!?!)

I have the 15" retina and a plug in DVD drive - it's a HP one which was about £20 and works perfectly. I've only used it twice, to rip DVDs to my Mac to put on my iPad. Can't say I've ever missed having it integrated in my laptop.

Any recommendations as to how you all clean your Macbook pros? How do you clean the screen, keyboard, exterior? Mine's getting a tad grungey.:P

Any recommendations as to how you all clean your Macbook pros? How do you clean the screen, keyboard, exterior? Mine's getting a tad grungey.:P

This might help: How to clean Apple products

I use either one of those pre-moisturized solvent free cloths for cleaning glasses (but I'm told I shouldn't use those on touch screens) or a damp (with plain water) microfiber cloth. And a slightly moist cotton bud to clean the spaces between keys. B)
So like Apple says, water and a soft cloth is really all you need, it does gets the grime off.

Suprisingly enough, an employee at Apple told me they use alcohol pads to clean their display models. I've tried it since getting my Mac in August and it leaves streaks on the screen and the keyboard area! I'm going to stick with water and/or see about buying a cleaner spray for the screen.

^^^I hope you're not actually spraying water onto the screen.

Just a damp papertowel wrung off all drips will do the job. If you have a glossy display, you can just spray some Windex on a papertowel and wipe. It's just a piece of glass over the screen so Windex will be fine. Don't spray directly on the glass since there may be drops that may end up seeping into the computer. Be sure the notebook is turned off before cleaning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->