Makeup Brushes

I'm a bit lost, I tried some cheaper brushes, Body Shop, Qvs and something along those lines, but those are hard, shred, and applications is a nightmare. So I figure I have to find some better quality brushes, but I have no idea which ones to get. I only need foundation, concealer and bronzer/blush brushes.

I'm a beauty junkie. Here are my favorites :flower:
Foundation - MAC 187, Sephora Airbrush #55, Beauty Blender sponge. They can also be used for blush, bronzers, powders, etc.
Concealer - any flat synthetic brush will do. I only use the brush to transfer the product and pat lightly with my ring finger.
Blush - Trish McEvoy Sheer Blush brush, MAC 168
Bronzer - Sephora Bronzer Brush #44

Foundation - MAC 187, Sephora Airbrush #55, Beauty Blender sponge. They can also be used for blush, bronzers, powders, etc.
Concealer - any flat synthetic brush will do. I only use the brush to transfer the product and pat lightly with my ring finger.

thanks so much for the recommendations :woot::woot:

^^ My pleasure! :D As previously stated, the foundation brushes recommended are very versatile in that they can also be used for blush, bronzers, etc. The suggested brushes are quite pricey, but they really are good investments. They are of very good quality and last for years with proper care!

^^ My pleasure! :D As previously stated, the foundation brushes recommended are very versatile in that they can also be used for blush, bronzers, etc. The suggested brushes are quite pricey, but they really are good investments. They are of very good quality and last for years with proper care!
I have to say that I think that when it comes to brushes you pay for what you get? I have some really cheap ones from Sephora and the Body shop and they're not super duper good..^_^

While you do get what you pay for to some extent, at a certain point what you get is a brand stamped of the handle. :wink: Coastal scents has some (for the price, very) good brushes. Great when one needs a bunch at once (like when I started doing proper eye makeup) and doesn't want to drop big bucks at MAC.

I'm thinking of getting the sigma complete brush set. :smile: I can't stop thinking about them.

Has anyone tried Japonesque brushes? I have my eyes on this one :wub:
8645145465775328.jpg

hqhair.com

Can anyone recommend a good smudge brush for eyeliner? I'm not really an expert with makeup brushes and it seems MAC is popular but I couldn't see anything on their site that would be suitable for something as heavy as eyeliner

Thanks a lot! I'll give them a try! :flower: They don't seem to cost as much as some brushes I've been looking a lately and if these are really as good, then it's bargin! :woot:

I just ordered a MAC brush set for €30. Am in love with the #187!

I can't wait to get my hands on some new brushes. Has anyone tried the Shu Uemura ones?

I just use shampoo since I can't be bothered to buy a separate brush cleanser.

To be honest I think blush cleansers are a waste of money. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with washing your brushes with gentle shampoo. Sometimes I even use hair conditioner to make the hairs on my brushes nice and soft (brushes with natural hairs that is). As long as you cleanse them properly and don't leave any residue behind, your brushes should be fine! This thread reminds me that my blush brush is overdue for a cleaning :smile:

^That's not exactly true. Our makeup brushes can get infested with bacteria accumulated over time, and shampoos are not anti-bacterial agents, at best they're mild anti-septics. The thing about brush cleansers is that they contain a high concentration of isopropyl alcohol or ethanol to ensure that the brush is properly sanitized and bacteria is actually killed.
That's why you always see makeup counters sanitizing their brushes with professional brush cleansers. If they were to use shampoo... Well I'd never step foot in their store again.

That being said, yes, they are a waste of money because most of them are just high concentrations of isopropyl alcohol and negligible amounts of other cleansing/anti-bacterial agents. What I do is just buy myself a large, cheap bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean my brushes and sanitize my makeup. It doesn't dry out the brushes at all.

I can't wait to get my hands on some new brushes. Has anyone tried the Shu Uemura ones?

Yes, I have! I'm using the Shu Uemura one right now. To be honest, most of it is just Isopropyl Alcohol anyway. I suspect the concentration is really strong - maybe 60%? You're better off buying a bottle of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol from the market and watering it down a bit to clean your brushes with!

I get my make up brushes from Smashbox. Well worth their price and they do an amazing job.

How do you guys clean your brushes?

I use Fancl's Cleansing Liquid. I squeeze a bit in my hand then wipe my brush around my hand in the liquid in circular motions. I then wet it and do it again till it is all clear. The colour of the soap on my hand afterwards.. :blink:

seriousley the cleanser I got with my beauty blender sucks...I have to use so frigging much to get it a little clean.

Shampoo can be fine for casual cleaning but it is important to use an antibacterial product especially for the eye brushes. Remember, too, never let them dry brush side up to prevent water from dripping and tarnishing/rusting/damaging the wand. It's best to let them lay flat on a clean cloth or paper towel in sunlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->