Makeup for mixed race girls

1karina1

Distract Me...
Reaction score
Calling on all mixed race girls and anyone who can help!!!!!!

I am mixed race with dark hair and brown eyes and adore makeup, but never want to look made up! What Iam looking for is makeup products and technique tips to achieve a natural,radiant, stunning look for the day.

I'm keen to find out as well colours that will subtly bring out my eyes.

Here are some pics (from www.style.com) to show what I'm looking for. I welcome any advice, no matter how small. And if anyone would like to post pics of themselves with their looks and how they acheive it that would be even better!

Attachments

• 00070m.jpg
    00070m.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 00090m.jpg
    00090m.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 00470m.jpg
    00470m.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 00400m.jpg
    00400m.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 00650m.jpg
    00650m.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 100076532.jpg
    100076532.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread! I know that there are a lot of mixed people on this board. I think MAC has a great range of colours, so you're bond to find your skintone. I'm a NC25. I also noticed that even in my monoethnic state, the MAC counter tends to have girls of many different races who are trained to do makeup on all sorts of people.

I think Liya is full-on Ethiopian, although she can appear mixed.

getting the glow

I prefer wearing tinted moisturiser but would like to know if there is a skin primer I can apply to my face first to keep makeup in place and also keep the t-zone matte? I don't mind having a bit of a dewy shine as I think a complete matte face makes you look flat and mask like. Any suggestions? Any primers do all that and impart a radiant glow? I'd love to know....

Mixed races make the most beautiful people :smile:

As for advice, i think it all depends on the skintone like allways. You can be blond and have a darker skin, you can have dark brown hair and light skin, etc
As for colours and advice for your specific colourings, i would advice some tinted moisturizer and a nice highlighter.
Some pinkish blush will look nice aswell. Earth toned blushes and colours will look a bit muddy.
If you don´t like to look made up, like you said, you can opt for a nice cream shadow in golden or pinkish tones and a bit of dark eye pencil smudged. For a more edgy look, navy blue eyeshadow looks fabulous for brown eyes.
Lots of mascara in the end :wink:
As for lip colour just use what you love, lipgloss or lipstick in tone that suits your lipcolour.

Here are some scans i did that i tought it could help you choosing and get inspired, they are from this month Seventeen Magazine

BRONZE SKIN

sev_2.jpg

sev_1.jpg

GOLDEN SKIN

sev_5.jpg

sev_6.jpg

all from the same source posted above: scans i did from Seventeen Magazine

Lips

I have very pink lips and want a lip product that would mute the colour. Using a paler lipcolour than my natural tone does not work I just end up looking anaemic. Need a product that takes out the pink.
I'm trying to achieve the look exemplified by Raquel Welch, in which muted lips allow you to play up the eyes.

Any suggestions?

Pics are from www.art.allayers.com and www.stevenshiles.com

Attachments

• raquel_welch19.jpg
    raquel_welch19.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 7
  • _Raquel_Welch.jpg
    _Raquel_Welch.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 10
My skintone is quite close to Thandie's -perhaps a bit lighter and yellower (I'm half Chinese, half Pakistani). I've got pretty much the same approach to make up as you -I like looking glowy and natural and 'better' -but not too made up.

I try to make my skin look as flawless as possible -luckily it's pretty good already B) . I used to only use moisturiser as most foundations (eg. MAC) ruin my skin, make me turn orange and feel like a mask. Following some raves on another board I've got some samples of mineral foundation and finishing powder from Lily Lolo www.lilylolo.co.uk and it's amazing. There are lots of of foundation shades so I found a great match (I'm Sahara, fittingly as lots of people have described my skin as the colour of sand ^_^ ) and, even though you can apparently build it up to full coverage, I apply it with a very, very light hand and it works a charm. The finishing powders are lovely as well (have tried flawless and translucent silk, can't tell which one I like better yet). It evens out my skintone, makes me glow and makes me slightly less oily (although I don't think I'll ever beat my T zone on the oil front).

If you're not in the UK, I've heard good things about other mineral foundation brands -I think there are lots of threads about them at tfs, if you search for them.

Other than that, I use mascara, bourjois blush (to match my natural lip colour and give a little shimmer) blended very well, and vaseline for every day. When I go out I just add eyeliner to emphasise my natural cats-eye or more shimmery lipgloss (again, bourjois is good). Oh, and when I need it, a light shimmery beige on the inner corners of my eyes.

Also, if you have a bit of colour, wearing bright red/dark red/deep pink lipstick with a polished but subtle face (mascara, good skin, perhaps a little blush) looks amazing.

1karina1 said:
I have very pink lips and want a lip product that would mute the colour. Using a paler lipcolour than my natural tone does not work I just end up looking anaemic. Need a product that takes out the pink.
I'm trying to achieve the look exemplified by Raquel Welch, in which muted lips allow you to play up the eyes.

Any suggestions?

Karina, I use L'oreal glam shine (in a muted pink/nude shade with a lot of gold shimmer) to neutralise the bright pink in my lips and make them more nude/brown. The shimmer makes the neutral lips look less 'dead', so you don't end up looking completely anaemic, if you know what I mean.

Uberwench that is some fab advice you've been laying on. Really appreciate! X

I can't believe there aren't more mixed-race girls on this forum...

For anyone interested, here are a few of my favourite basics.

Whenever I go into a department store, makeup artists always comment on how I beautiful skin. I don't. In fact I am still waging war on my rebellious skin, my secret is subtly covering the skin.

I put on Becca's luminous skin colour in Toast (as Iam light skinned). Becca is an incredible makeup line with 30 different colour ranges. From Nicole Kidman pale to Alek Wek dark. There is a colour to suit everyone, it just magically melts into your unique skintone. It also contains SPF25+, so very good protection for the skin as well.

Check the range out at www.beccacosmetics.com

I am a firm believer that coverage should be sheer, no matter if you have acne. Because caking the skin in makeup is neither good for the skin nor does it make you look good. You just look goddamn scary.

The tinted moisturiser evens out skintone, then comes the concealer (also by Becca). I am a firm believer , like Lucia Pieroni the famous makeup artist, that you should never try to conceal every imperfection or you will just end up looking weird and mask-like. Apply concealer using a hand mirror, but don't hold it up close to your face. Hold as close as you would talking to someone. I end up just covering any angry spots, but allow some acne scars or hyper pigmentation to show.

Another trick I use is to mix Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfector with the tinted moisturiser and smooth onto my cheek area, forehead and chin. Not much or else it looks as though you have a oily t-zone. And I only apply when those areas are clear, otherwise the mixture just highlights spots and bumps.

Then I use Prada's Reviving Cream eye concealer for the under eye area. It subtly makes dark circles disappear and makes eyes appear less puffy. But I apply only where I have to.

Next is a smidgen of YSL Touch Eclat in the corners of the eyes to disguise that dark area, which opens up the eye area making you look awake and refreshed.

This is my base. And it works a treat for me. It may sound a lot but the key is in the application and in layering, not plastering!

And no-one should dream of leaving the house without perfect eyebrows, as much of a cliche as it is, it really does frame the face. Even Catherine Deneuve agrees!

So come on girls, what are your tips?

To tone down your lipcolour just use a bit of concealer and then put whatever you want on top :wink:
Nothing works better than concealer for a mutted mouth.

Sofialuv, the concealer has worked a treat! My lips look amazing and the concealer doesn't settle into lines as I thought it would.

I was reading Marie Claire UK June edition and Thandie Newton talked about some products she uses. I use some of them myself already, pretty impressive, eh?

She uses - Aveda's Sap Moss Shampoo and Conditioning detangler
- Shu Umeura eyeshadow in ME Purple 780
- Becca's Compact Concealer in Caramel
- Prada's Shielding Lip Balm in Tint 1

Images below from www.gettyimages.com

Attachments

• 56787022.jpg
    56787022.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 56881855.jpg
    56881855.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 56979145.jpg
    56979145.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 57072928.jpg
    57072928.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 57076681.jpg
    57076681.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 57510974.jpg
    57510974.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 57511820.jpg
    57511820.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 2
absolute essentials

What are your absolute essentials when it comes to makeup?

I just bumped on this thread and it's a great idea! I'm not a makeup addict but I use mascara (especially if I'm wearing my glasses), a little foundation mixed with my moisturizer.

I also put on a little blush which is great to have that glow, I found one in this French brand called "Black Up" that I've been wearing for a couple of years.

From time to time, I'll wear a deep bordeaux lipstick but it's more a winter look, though I put it on today... Otherwise it's my moisturizing stick (my lips are always dry) and when I feel like it, a little transparent gloss. Et voilà!

well, im not mixed race (im chinese), but somehow i look like one ...think of "your whiter than white people" @_@, and my face structure (esp my eyes) dont fit the the description of East Asian in North America... therefore i have trouble finding make up for myself (haha -_-'|||) it would be if somebody with the similiar experience and would like to share their tip or idea to me:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darvesh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->