Makeup for mixed race girls

1karina1 said:
The shade I use is Honeycomb (I'm slightly lighter than Thandie), though for summer I mix it with Nut as I tan.

I meant to say I use Bamboo, not Honeycomb! Bamboo is only available for tinted moisturiser not foundation. :flower:

Ooh. The shades look positively delectable. ANd they carry such a wide range! You know, I've always walked passed the BEcca counter when I'm in Australia but I've never stopped to looked at thier products. I'll definitely give it a go when I'm there the next time.

Thank you so much!

^i think the makeup would've looked better without all the eyeshadow

gia, i'm half spanish. My grandfather and grandmother are originally from Palma, Spain. They moved to Sante Fe,NM where my mom and siblings were born and raised.

BellaCouture said:
I am also mixed and always aiming for a natural, healthy glowing look!
Sometimes with more attention for the eyes, sometimes for a symmetrical look.
It usually looks like this :
cbe44af1a9f6b230fecaa31gj3.jpg
shinyuw5.jpg
lomk6.jpg

I try to look as natural as possible!

I usually use a mauve/light lilac/gray color on the eyes with a purple eyeliner or sometimes a thin black line.

I use some gold powder or bronzing powder to make my skin look like satin. Or a peach blush!
(Sometimes a matte powder over it, when It glows too much)

For the lips I prefer 8 hours cream from Elizabeth Arden.
It gives a little glow, protects your lips and doesn't add heavy color! Though I sometimes still buys lipsticks and glosses in other colours..
But that's because I tend to change my make up a lot.

Bella, you remind me a bit of Zoe Kravitz!

This is from an article in today's Daily Mail. It is written by make-up artist Kay Montano who did Thandie's makeup for the BAFTA's. Thought it might interest some people.:flower:

source: wireimage

For the Baftas, Thandie asked Giles Deacon to design a gown for the evnt and boy, did he deliver. This raised the beauty bar and I had no choice but to go to town with the makeup. Apart from Revolution Tinted Body Moisturiser by DuWop to bronze her decolletage and arms, Thandie's entire makeup-look was created using Chanel cosmetics, as the pigments pick up beautifully on film.
I began by warming her skin with Vitalumiere in Natural and applied Natural Finish Loose Powder in Peche more generously than usual to hold the look for the Miramax party. I used Reflex brush along her cheekbones.
I applied the taupe colour from the Desert Rose eyeshadow duo over the lid and beneath the eye, blending outward. Then, using a black eye pencil, I drew a line close to the lashes and applied River light eyeshadow onto the entire lid, blending outwards towards the top of the ear. Evergreen eyeliner was applied on the inner rim and Mac's black liquid liner was applied in a tick to define the shape. The finishing touch was lashings of Inimitable mascara.
For perfect pouts, go over the edge of the lips using a foundation sponge and set with powder. I combined Thandie's perfectly matte, caramel skin with Glossimer lipgloss in Unity.
For her hair, Kerry Warn applied two John Frieda products: frizz-ease 5-minute manager and Moisture Barrier spray. Finally Sheer Blonde Wax Shine was used to tame Thandie's baby hairs.

me too!!

woh?! i've been away a while but i swore i responded to a thread like this!

Anyhoots, i'm definitely mixed race: Nepali + N.Indian/S.Indian + Spanish + Native Caribbean + Spanish + a splash of African. Wrap me up and call me Trini! :P

i've got an odd skin tone. There's one pic of Thandie early on.. where she looks much darker than any other picture.. my skin colour is sorta like that. Looking at me you may think i'm golden or warm-undertones, but i'm really cool-undertones, and silver jewellry and cool or cold colours look best on me. Finally i've figured it out!

i've tried MAC and the closest foundation colours were: NC42 and NC45. CoverFX in I40 is THE BEST match EVER.. but that colour got discontinued and now i use B15 and a close match.

Browns or beige or anything golden or red makes me look terrible!

My daily makeup consists of:
- Shea Butter as a moisturizer.
- CoverFX B15 Cream Foundation (largely due to my skin being damaged by Dermatologist).
- CoverFX setting powder in Light.
- Urban Decay Purple Haze eyeshadow (mixed with Murine Supplemental Tears eyedrops for easy application and to set it).
- Almay Intense-i Trio Shadow for Brown eyes (in Play up the Brown) - while the grape colour suits me, i use the dark brown in my eyelid crease and the shimmer underneath my eyebrow and in the inner corner of my eyes.
- MAC LiquidLast eyeliner in PointBlack.
- CoverGirl VolumeExact mascara (in the darkest black they've got).
- MAC Sheertone Blush in Breath of Plum.
- CoverGirl TruShine lipstick in Mauve Shine (490).
- BonneBell Espresso Eyeliner as an Eyebrow pencil.

i blend blend blend and put all this stuff on carefully - so it actually looks quite natural, yet groomed.

i'll post a pic when i can.

:flower:

btw: great thread!
:heart:

slick!! a fellow trini!! i had the opposite issue. i am a medium brown but have no cool/red undertones. i am infact olivey and golden. it took me forever to realize that and adjust my styling- like golden brown hair vs. black, way more bronzer, and absolutely no green. it just blends in with my skin and is awful. i have similar undertones as zoe saldana

:clap: yaaaaaaaaay TRINI!!
wonder how many secret trinis we have on TFS.

you must be relieved to finally figure out what makeup looks good on you.

took me bleedin' yonks as well to figure out clothing colours!

on a completely diff note: i miss a nice curry cascadura, goat and roti, or a sweet starch mango plucked straight from the tree. :heart:

back to makeup and all that: anyone remember the Olay brand of cosmetics? 'twas really quite good for gals like me.
*sigh*

lancome is great---they have really nice foundations.

Beauty Article on Alesha Dixon from UK InStyle April 2007

source: scanned by me

as a side note--- does anyone here use the kerastase shampoos? i am thinking of using their bain satin 3 shampoo-- i have a thick curly fro that is a mix of coarse/fine hair--like jada, amel larrieux, and lenny's daughter.

I used Kerastase and it is great, my curls were silky and shiny :smile:

I have a friend with shoulder length hair who happens to be of east Indian decent. She swears by 100% Pure Natural Traditional Soap-nut (Sapindus) Hair Shampoo. Its a deep cleansing high foaming soap (its really a paste) that nourishes the hair follicles and cleanses the scalp for long lasting strong hair. Its from shrubs and small trees that grow the soap-nut fruit. Its has It's imported from India and its perishable. So if you're from a small town or don't live near a east indian community, don't expect to find it.

I personally use it. I've notice the good effects it has on my scalp. It's worth looking into. Just my 2 cents.

Guys, try to keep on topic here. This is a forum about makeup, not skincare or hair.:flower:

okay, karina, you have me sold on becca cosmetics! :wink:

seriously, the next time i go shopping for skin makeup, i'll be sure to hit up the becca shelf first. i've had a terrible time trying to find the right shade for my skin (oh, the years and years of agony--and still no salvation!), so becca may be the answer to my prayers. i also really appreciate the description of your routine in post #14. some of those tips & products will definitely be coming in handy! :flower:

kochie, thanks for the scans of thandie in the december instyle! they were lovely. :flower:

oolie coco said:
To whomever complained that there aren't enough mixed-race girls on the forum:

Actually there's a lot. I am one, too, but I don't wear makeup. So there you go. There could be many, many more but we don't ever check the beauty threads.

I'm mixed as well. :wink:

Normally I don't post rather I tend to lurk on the forum. Finding the right make-up for my skin tone is a nightmare. Instead of the hassle I really don't wear much except mascara and tinted gloss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->