Marc Jacobs and Marc by Marc Jacobs Watches

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
from today's wwd...

Through a license with Fossil Inc., Jacobs will launch a collection of fine watches for fall. The nine styles will be presented to buyers next month.

The vintage-inspired collection features small oval faces, black grosgrain ribbon straps and diamond detailing.

Jacobs said Venetia Scott, with whom he always collaborates on the main women’s wear collection and accessories, and he “liked the idea of a very small watch, something that didn’t look heavy or big or sporty.”

“I’ve seen girls with vintage Cartier watches that I love,” he added. “We all agreed we didn’t want something modern looking. We wanted it to have a kind of old feel to it. All the girls we know wear those kinds of things.”

The collection will be offered to high-end department and specialty stores in the U.S., Europe and Asia. Initial distribution will be controlled and will be limited to about 150 doors, said Barbara Korn, vice president of luxury brands at Fossil. Marc Jacobs boutiques will receive deliveries of the watches before they reach other accounts. Retail prices range from $650 to $2,500.

Jacobs is committed to the category and has included an area specifically for watch merchandising in his new Los Angeles and Shanghai boutiques.

In fall 2006, Marc by Marc Jacobs watches will be introduced and sold at a price point lower than that of the Marc Jacobs collection. Prices are still being determined. Distribution will cover a broader range as well.

042505_1.jpg

Good for Fossil, they've been going very downhill these past years.

Anyone have any idea if the prices of the watches will sky-rocket? Fossil was always decently priced.

"The vintage-inspired collection features small oval faces, black grosgrain ribbon straps and diamond detailing."

So basically what everyone, including J.Lo, has been doing for the past three seasons?

generally designers should stay well away from timepeces and i'm uncomfortable that fossil is producing the higher end marc jacobs brand and the quality just won't be there ( at least dior homme uses zenith). fossil is more suited to producing the marc line and i'm sure that wil be the most popular and hope they have a men's line.

i'm also a fan of throwaway fossil watches- i recently swapped my dubois for the new gehry designed fossil....(temp. anyway)

Diorling said:
So basically what everyone, including J.Lo, has been doing for the past three seasons?
judging by the picture that was posted, i'd have to say no.
i'm pretty certain they'll be done in a more understated, retro way. the one in the picture that was posted looks very 1930's... i really like it.

well these are the watches ( avaliable now at eluxury)
p10906463_ph_hero.jpg
($2.5k)

p10906535_ph_hero.jpg
($750)

Marc by Marc Jacobs Watches!

I am so glad marc jacobs and robert duffy made this cheaper line of watches! The $800+ Marc Jacobs Collection watches were just too expensive for me! Marc Jacobs and Robert Duffy teamed up with 'Fossil' to create this line of watches ranging from $125 - $300.

I don't have a marc by marc store near me so I am hoping it will be available in department stores!

Does anyone have a subscription to WWD and can post the article or pictures here? thanks! :flower:

here it is, and pics from wwd:

Marc Jacobs is giving its customers more ways to tell time.

After the launch of fine watches under its designer label last fall, the brand is set to unveil its first lower-priced timepiece collection today for the Marc by Marc Jacobs diffusion line.

"[The fine watches] are very subtle and understated and personal, and they are watches that you want to keep forever," said Robert Duffy, president of Marc Jacobs. "Marc by Marc Jacobs watches are more fun and frivolous. You want to wear one now and maybe in a month you want another one."

The Marc by Marc Jacobs watch collection, which will hit stores in August, comprises about 25 styles, 80 percent geared to women and 20 percent for men.

Women's styles are created to merchandise with the fall Marc by Marc Jacobs ready-to-wear collection in colors such as royal blue, burgundy, purple and black.

Distinctive treatments appear throughout the collection. For example, one watch on a soft metallic leather strap features a petite rectangular case that sits at the middle of an oversize bow rendered in plastic. Another watch on a patent leather strap showcases a plastic octagonal case with a beveled crystal. The face of the watch substitutes numerals for the letters M-A-R-C, each set off-kilter at the quarter-hour. A third watch has a chunky chain-link bracelet strap with a brass finish upon which hangs a star-shape charm that houses a timepiece.

"The watches are whimsical, but there is also a practicality to the collection," said Duffy, citing a spare digital watch set simply within a cuff-like patent leather strap. "It's also a much broader collection, which gives us more opportunity to experiment with different styles and proportions."

Barbara Korn, vice president of luxury brands at Fossil, said the firm worked with Marc Jacobs to include premium detailing while maintaining the desired retail price range of $125 to $300.

"There are a lot of little details in the watches," Korn said. "For example, with the indexes on the dials, the number is first etched and then enameled over it to create more three dimensionality. Many of the numerals match the Marc by Marc Jacobs logo font. These are very expensive dials. There are also straps in premium leathers and exotics like python and alligator."

The collection will first roll out to Marc by Marc Jacobs boutiques and then to Barneys New York, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's and Macy's. It also will be distributed in Europe and the Middle East.

022706_48.jpg

022706_49.jpg

022706_50.jpg

Thank you so much kimair! I love the watch with the bow!
I am glad that it will be available in department stores but august is too long of a wait! i thought they were out already =(

Last edited by a moderator:
The bow watch :shock::heart:

Can't wait till these hit stores! Sign me up for one!

I bet lindsay, nicole etc will be wearing this watch when it becomes popular - the only bad thing :(

will these watches be aval in canada? i want that blue one so bad!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->