Margiela's new strategy/ *NYC store premiere

i'll try to pop in -or around- the new headquarters next time i'm in Paris , the new 'office' sounds interesting but the old place was too cozy and adorable...

i will also agree with all that stated that since the Diesel take over the MMM lines have lost some of their 'edge' last item i really loved were those multi sized mirror badges from fw 04-05.. but that was all really

Lena said:
i'll try to pop in -or around- the new headquarters next time i'm in Paris , the new 'office' sounds interesting but the old place was too cozy and adorable...

i will also agree with all that stated that since the Diesel take over the MMM lines have lost some of their 'edge' last item i really loved were those multi sized mirror badges from fw 04-05.. but that was all really

Those were cuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!

they are arent they faust? love those badges

Lena said:
they are arent they faust? love those badges

Yea! Do you want me to see if they are still here on sale for you? IF had them. On the other hand, I'd imagine you could find a non-mmm ones cheaper, no?

Lena said:

BTW, are you allowed to take pictures? That'd be cool.

for sure i can do some 'outside' pictures and i'm sure it will be possible to get some badges either locally or from Paris , thanks faust :flower:

Margiela moves up a grade....?

margiela(anti-publicity)+ rosso(diesel) together....is it a good idea?
:cry: :cry:
what do you think?

by the way any photo of margiela???

No it's not, as I think everyone here would agree. People have already lamented the demise of Margiela. It's a shame since he is extremely talented. The only way for him to go is his own way - hopefully at some point in the future...........

merged...:flower:

i'd also like to add that everything i have seen from the margiela 6 line for spring has been really great...i really love the direction that particular line is going in...can't wait for the nyc tribeca store to open...anyone have a date on that?...

Thanks softgrey. I also really like the spring/summer collection (women's mainline and 6, but not menswear). Maybe its too early to talk of his demise.

MMM's losing its edge. it's become too commercialized; falling into all the traps of success, expansion, making money, etc. that it 'claimed' to react against at its inception... they're just rehashing old ideas over and over again... very boring and bland... sigh... does this always happen? when one 'succeeds' and becomes 'accepted' in/by mass consciousness... one dies... look at rem koolhaas and oma... but then that's another topic.

surver said:
MMM's losing its edge. it's become too commercialized; falling into all the traps of success, expansion, making money, etc. that it 'claimed' to react against at its inception... they're just rehashing old ideas over and over again... very boring and bland... sigh... does this always happen? when one 'succeeds' and becomes 'accepted' in/by mass consciousness... one dies... look at rem koolhaas and oma... but then that's another topic.

Hmmm... I'm not a big fan of Margiela's clothes myself, but I wouldn't make such sweeping generalisations. Margiela is very tricky, and aside from his bland menswear, I think there is something quirky about the women's wear. I don't know if I would call what he does rehashing (except in menswear) - I think "working in the same vein" would be a better term, and there is nothing wrong with that. Naturally, I'm not thrilled with his partnership with Diesel either, but I think he deserves benefit of a doubt. So, until I see the quality and design of his womenswear actually going downhill, I'll reserver further judgement for later.

This still makes me a bit sad. But this is a great discussion and Softgrey made a strong point for a house like MMM going commercial. That made it a bit easier to bear. But it still made me cringe.

I not sure but I heard that dsquared2 and vivienne westwood are also his brands now

NY get prepared... MMM's first temp boutique opens ..:shock: today :wink:

Martin Margiela, who has wanted to open a store here for a long time, searched both uptown and downtown for that one space with an "I'll-know-it-when-I-see-it" quality. The edgy Belgian designer finally lost patience with the process and decided to open a temporary store in the West Village while the search for a permanent space continues.

"We decided to go ahead," said spokesman Patrick Scallon in a telephone conversation from Paris, where Maison Martin Margiela is based. The 2,075-square-foot boutique at 803 Greenwich Street here will be unveiled to the public today.

How temporary is temporary? "We don't know yet," Scallon said. "It could be for one or two or three seasons. If we want to, we could keep it. We haven't made any of those decisions yet."

The new store is temporary in style as well, befitting Margiela's design philosophy. Boxes, only partially unpacked, are used to support displays. The space is meant to feel like a fly-by-night photo shoot, a conceit achieved though the use of strategically placed photo-studio light umbrellas. A freezer is used as a cash register.

Images of architectural details such as doors, stucco and cornices are projected onto the walls trompe l'oeil-style. The furniture is salvaged from shops and houses across Europe.

The temporary store caps a year of frenetic activity for the fashion house, which is backed by Diesel and had revenues of about $37.2 million last year. The most recent store opened in Taipei in a former fast-food restaurant. In keeping with its dictum to respect existing surroundings, the company retained the burger joint's original fixtures and painted them white. A third store in Paris opened in September on the Left Bank's Rue de Grenelle.

"New York is the third store we've opened in quick succession," Scallon said. "We've launched quite a lot of things in the past year," he said, referring to new men's and women's shoe and accessories lines, which launched in the fall.

from wwd

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishyloverr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->