Margiela's new strategy/ *NYC store premiere

Scott said:
bakla,could be because it's only temporary too. I know his Tokyo,Paris,Brussels and London shops look a bit more formidable in that raw aesthetic than what you're describing. If they eventually decide to move locales,maybe the new one will be better designed.

rqf*,I thought Sebastien was merely a former assistant to MMM. He has his own collection now.
True re: temporary space, but coming from a store design & display background, I also know how to do some of these things, so maybe that's why I'm a bit more critical. :flower:

Scott said:
rqf*,I thought Sebastien was merely a former assistant to MMM. He has his own collection now.

oh yes, he has his own line but somehow he did get a mention in that magazine. i think you're right, he was an assistant to MMM for line 6. personally, the branding of line 6 has gone quite wack. not a good wack. especially with the enlarged circled 6 as the brand label itself. eew.

Martin Margiela's store just opened!!!

from NYTimes:
Martin Margiela, the Paris-based Belgian designer, opened his first New York shop in the West Village last week. At 803 Greenwich Street, between Jane and West 12th Streets, (212) 989-7612.

Let us know how the store looks, NYtFSers :D

121905h.jpg

December 19, 2005—There are a number of ways to spot a man of discerning taste, but few are more reliable than the white stitches Martin Margiela uses to affix labels to his clothes. Expect to see a definite uptick in those telltale hash marks in the coming months, thanks to the just-opened Maison Martin Margiela NYC. With its "casually" arranged piles of suitcases and white paint samples on the walls, the West Village space has a transient feel—deliberately so. This is a temporary store, intended to hold us over until the Belgian-born, Paris-based designer finds his "dream home" in the city. In the meantime, how would the notoriously elusive Margiela describe his first U.S. venture? Good luck getting a direct quote, but we were able to obtain the following communiqué from his camp: "It's a blank canvas, an empty space where we may arrive and put down our bags and begin to share who we are with New Yorkers." In practical terms, that means nine of Margiela's idiosyncratically numbered collections will be on display. The most sought-after among them is 0/10, an artisanal line of recycled and reimagined suit jackets, modified leather belts and Chelsea boots, and various accessories. To limit volume, these items will now be sold exclusively at Margiela shops, leaving him "free to create on a whim and on a much higher level." Hey, as long as everything has those white stitches....
Maison Martin Margiela New York City, 803 Greenwich St. (at Jane St.), (212) 989-7612

— Tracey Lomrantz

men.style.com

....I like the idea of lowering the volume of clothing available. I am looking forward to seeing the store.

thanks for the photo and the article seeing double :heart:

Indeed,seeing double. Not to sound too elitist,but I like the exclusivity of 0. The rest of the lines everybody can get hold of quite easily....there's something extremely special about 0,especially now that it appears he's concentrating his idiosyncratic spirit in that one full-on....it should be a special line in that sense.

Faust,I dunno about that word either. I don't really associate "reimagining" with recycling. MMM makes completely new things in his recycling. Re-imagining makes it sound as if he's merely doing nothing but playing with an existing piece.

rqfsimons said:
oh yes, he has his own line but somehow he did get a mention in that magazine. i think you're right, he was an assistant to MMM for line 6. personally, the branding of line 6 has gone quite wack. not a good wack. especially with the enlarged circled 6 as the brand label itself. eew.

Sebastien was and still is designing ligne 6 plus he's own collection, which is not that great either...I agree on the new direction of 6. It started as an ok collection of basics, but the stuff's gone really bad...the graffiti prints, cheap materials, the new logo etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishyloverr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->