Martin Margiela A/ W 2004 Paris

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
Presenting for a second time in Parisian cafe-tabac
MMM gave us a hard to track collection and just one look to share :(

Cafe Style

Martin Margiela: When Martin Margiela forgoes the runway and invites editors and buyers to 19 different corner cafes to drink wine, eat chips and watch a video that’s supposed to communicate the essence of his collection, one has to wonder what message he’s trying to pass off. After all, this Belgian has often used clothes as a vehicle for avant-garde ideas. So, by putting fashion in a bar, was he trying to say it needs a dose of reality? Or, more simply, was he just trying to be weird?
Little matter. Margiela’s gimmick of showing a video simultaneously around Paris proved fun — and not only because the regular pastis-chugging clientele was dumbstruck when the lights dimmed and the video started. The wistful film showed Margiela’s romantic side with a series of still shots of women in apartments, traveling in trains or playing guitar.
The clothes, at least what one could see of them, looked smart, understated and even pretty, with fur coats, leather trousers and trenchcoats.
But Margiela hasn’t abandoned the experimental shtick. A visit to the showroom showed that chesterfield sofas, wicker chairs and wrinkled tinfoil provided the inspiration for prints and the designer has yet to let go of his oversize silhouettes and rumpled, recycled look.

this sounds yummy
i love how he finally decided to let go from hidding
the faces of the 'models' -he never uses 'real' models,
the 'casting' takes place here and there all over town,
where the directors of the MMM team scout for everyday
women with 'personal' style and just ask them to part take
to the presentation project. (like the short film in this case) :heart:

photo&review from wwd :flower:

That sounds like a really fun idea for a presentation. I wanna see more pictures, though! :cry:

Thanks for the story, Lena!

i'm on the lookout for more pictures but it might be hard to find any..

you are very welcome chick :flower:

I dunno why I feel sceptical. Why not just let the clothes speak for itself?

Because sometimes the clothes just don't say enough :smile:

Originally posted by Sugo@Mar 3rd, 2004 - 11:41 am
Because sometimes the clothes just don't say enough :smile:
:lol: But when the subject IS the clothes? :unsure:

Maybe they just need someone else to speak for them :shrug:
Or maybe in this case, the environment enhaces the collection.

I agree with you though, i'm all for a neat, plain presentation. I practice what I preach. My own portfolio is a plain black case. But then again i've seen people bring their portfolios in for reviews in refrigerators, ovens. I've seen people dress up as chickens to present their portfolio.
Anything to get noticed.

Read ' Fashion at the edge ' by Caroline Evans :flower:

It says EVERYTHING about MM and the other designers with an ' intellectual ' aesthetic . B)

KIT :innocent:

Originally posted by kit@Mar 3rd, 2004 - 11:53 am
Read ' Fashion at the edge ' by Caroline Evans :flower:

It says EVERYTHING about MM and the other designers with an ' intellectual ' aesthetic . B)

KIT :innocent:
Believe me, I've become an expert on belgian fashion over the years. However, that hasn't changed my opinion about MMM, which I discussed in other threads.

I don't think it has anything really to do with getting noticed. Its more along the lines of contributing a story or scenario--like showing people how these clothes may be worn when in the hands of the wearer. The film itself is just a another way of showing to the public. Everybody seems to be doing it nowadays and MMM just took it a step further by feeding it through TV's in cafés and bars. I also have to say,maybe its a point of reaching out to the 'real' people rather than just fashionistas.

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 3rd, 2004 - 8:00 pm
I don't think it has anything really to do with getting noticed. Its more along the lines of contributing a story or scenario--like showing people how these clothes may be worn when in the hands of the wearer. The film itself is just a another way of showing to the public. Everybody seems to be doing it nowadays and MMM just took it a step further by feeding it through TV's in cafés and bars. I also have to say,maybe its a point of reaching out to the 'real' people rather than just fashionistas.
i so agree, MMM was experimenting fashion presentation media
when everybody else was still in a deep sleep :P

those looks are a bit :sick:
still thanks a million ngth :flower:

You are very very welcome :-) Lena.

The MMM presetation is like "party for friends", just like "we" :-) do after our journeys. But MM did it more in a "internet broadcasting" way. Fun:-)

And the clothes look a bit "naive" :-) imo.

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 3rd, 2004 - 1:00 pm
I also have to say,maybe its a point of reaching out to the 'real' people rather than just fashionistas.
That's what I immediately thought when I heard about this presentation. He wanted to take this collection out of an isolated showroom or gallery and into real life, everyday life. Great idea, I think.

ok-i MUST have that leather vest/top!!!!! immediately!!! :heart:

i'd wear it with CULOTTES and high leather boots...that is also how i would shoot it for a magazine..

as an editor/stylist...i can say that shows become annoying and tedious...that said, gimmicks are twice as annoying...so what to do...find some alternative to traditionally boring show which is relaxed and fun...i think the cafe idea is great and i would have loved to see the faces of the 'regulars' when the video came on :lol:
sounds like a nice break from the hectic show schedule... :flower:

I saw a little of the film, its cool. :heart:

i lvoe the first look here so much :heart:

that leather zip front top is made from recycled boots!!! i love it!! :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annhedonia Beretta
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"