Martin Margiela - Designer

For those who are in London, I think i've seen the book at Koenig Books in Charing Cross Road.

is there a place in nyc that stocks this book? i want to leaf through it in person before buying it. thanks!

well rizzoli is the publisher so you may actually be able to check it out at their bookshop. but if you decide to buy it i would suggest purchasing it from b&n or amazon as it's cheaper than the 100$ price retail.

scott thanks for the info :heart: I was wanting to hold off until someone reliable checked the book out.

it's really enchanting and it's big. it just feels very personal and thoughtful....in a way that i think only margiela can bring to the fore. it goes even further than than the street edition that was done on him some years ago.

if none have yet,please get the new MMM book. it's beautiful and covers everything from his earliest till the anniversary celebration last spring. i think all faithful fans should have this in their collection,especially in light he departing. it's authored by margiela and has contributions for gaultier,andree putman and the ever-wonderful vanessa beecroft.

I like it a lot too, much better than the Cream and MoMu books.

^it's more definitive,i think,where cream,i feel,only covered certain aspects(albeit still worth having too)...as did the street edition...and the momu book was more related to the exhibition.

here are a couple i picked up today.

does anybody know what seasons these are from?

pvc fake snakeskin jacket. it has only one button, under the collar. on the inside of the back are two fabric straps you can tie to tighten the back.

***Please do not quote images***

pix by me

the faux snakeskin jacket says made by deni-cler spa. according to an august 17 1993 nyt article, "Mr. Margiela has just started producing with Staff, since his Italian manufacturer, Deni Cler, went out of business." so i guess that jacket is very old margiela, maybe 91 or 92...

Last edited by a moderator:
that's a beautiful piece fashoff.....whatever the year :wink:

from le choc du chic (see CCP thread for more info)

my snaps
(itw in french, again. sorry).

it's pretty short, so if one day i found time to "concentrate" ......
idk if this is Margiela himself who give the answer ... but the "you" (tu - itwer) and "I" (je - martin margiela) make think yes .....

my snaps.
:flower:

Attachments

• IMG_3165.JPG
    IMG_3165.JPG
    436.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3164.JPG
    IMG_3164.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3166.JPG
    395.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3167.JPG
    IMG_3167.JPG
    400.2 KB · Views: 11
berlin,you were saying there was more designers featured,which are they?

^i don't have the book ...

saw it at the library, i'll check ...
but i remember the 3 i posted, McQueen, Rei, Walter van B., Hussein etc.
there a lot ...
i know Rei hasn't been interviewed ... it's a text abt her ...

okay had some time to research and i found it! in english it's called fashion statements:interviews with fashion designers. it's also got a feature on a british radical that never gets any credit at all....fashion/textile/artist helen storey. i think i must have this.

Do you wonder who is designing at MMM now? Its an Antwerp Graduate from 2006 grad. year...

it's really enchanting and it's big. it just feels very personal and thoughtful....in a way that i think only margiela can bring to the fore. it goes even further than than the street edition that was done on him some years ago.

the book is huge! i ordered it from amazon and was really surprised when this massive box arrived. i pre-ordered mine at Amazon and given the size of the book itself, the price is DEFINITELY worth it. I urge all margiela fans to get it.

Michael Stipe for MMM... a cassette tape pendant.

The brief can't be copied, but it is here:
http://www.maisonmartinmargiela.com/en/news/index.html

pic from anothermag.com

10076.jpg

^Haha...that's kinda cool. The uses for it pictured range from awesome to completely stupid.

i don't really get this involvement myself. i mean i like michael stipe and all but this association seems so random. and they do kind of look like stuff MMM has already done before.

(nice to see you again alex!)

^Thanks, Scott! Apparently, I haven't been here since mid-2008, lol
they are doing the exhibition for the artisanal line until may 17th
at the space next to mmm omotesando. you can buy some of the pieces too.

http://www.martinmargiela.co.jp/jp/exhibition.html

elle
The last jacket in this post is out-of-this-world. So ugly and so amazing at the same time. Margiela is strange for me...I either love his stuff or just really don't get the appeal. I often find the items interesting from a technical standpoint, but flat-out ugly from an aesthetic standpoint if I'm being honest. But sometimes, many fine lines are walked, resulting in my periodic amazement at his work.

^ I think that balance (or sometimes lack thereof) between his innovation/reinvention of things and aesthetic beauty is sometimes really askew as well, but like you, it's what attracts me the most. Even when I don't love how something looks, the idea and innovation behind many of his artisan pieces is even more attractive to me than perhaps a simply aesthetically beautiful piece. if that makes sense :blush: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clem3166
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->