Matthew Ames F/W 10.11 New York

MulletProof

Reaction score
His play with volumes continue but somehow this feels more refreshing and harmonic than last season. :heart:

ames1.jpg
ames2.jpg

ames3.jpg
ames4.jpg

ames5.jpg
ames6.jpg

ames7.jpg
ames8.jpg

[coutorture]

I attended the show and got a look backstage. Such beautiful, understated clothes. Though I loved the last two seasons they were difficult to wear, this season Ames really tried to interpret more classic, basic parts of the wardrobe. AND he showed two menswear looks. What you can't see in the photos is how beautifully executed his clothes are. They really are perfect.

the clothes are impeccably tailored, but somehow I don't like how he plays with volume in most pieces. they look ill-fitting to a certain extent :(

some looks make me think of celine ss10

looks really nice though

I can only confirm that Ames' clothes are perfectly finished and usually very considered both in cut and fabric choice... It's nice having someone with such a pragmatic and strict eye on quality, a notion you don't quite get from a lot of designers doing 'high end' these days, but more for the display of style rather than quality.

As far as this collection is concerned, it's a bit of a hit and miss to me. His talent shines on some of the pieces with more controlled volume but comes up as weight-y where it's all too monastic-covered up, therewith giving his clothes a somewhat 'studied' difficulty that some of Raf Simon's clothes for Jil Sander womenswear also exude at times.

His minimalist choice of fabrics and the cleanness of his line really made those graphic patterns from the start of his career so strong and impactful and I'm missing a bit of that in his more recent effort. I'd hope he would pick up on that and think of less tricky, more controlled volumes than what he's done lately.

I first found out about Matthew Ames in a French magazine called Encens. I find that most of his inspirations for the pieces he makes comes from the late 70's to early 80's.

Some of the looks in this show seem well executed but I think if I took one of those pieces individually and worn them with something less basic, it would probably look nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->