Meisel and Vogue Italia parting ways?

If there's no lockdown on any one particular name, perhaps VI is a place where the whimsy of Tim Walker could occasionally work on the cover, amid the months where it's M&M or Roversi.

I think I mentioned this as well, Lola. There's a chain-like link between the three; Miu Miu/Prada + Meisel + VI. This change will without a doubt affect that understanding to some extent. I also wonder about Templer. He worked with Meisel on Coach and they've done great work for that brand so far. And now Meisel will be working for a rival publication?

Well, Meisel only recently started shooting Miu Miu campaigns, so I think it's safe to say Miuccia is still very in love with him.

Honestly, I'll miss him more at Vogue Italia than I would miss him at Prada (though I want him to stay there as long as he can). I feel like Ashley Brokaw is the main force behind Prada nowadays.

And i'm curious to see if he will stay working for Coach indeed.

Mixed feelings about it....of course sad bc of this "ego" fight...i guess we'll never know the whole truth on the situation...but there have to be more on the China Issue,like someone said earlier....

And Meisel going to W,yeah from time to time would be refreshing and i like Tonchi's approach but want it or not Meisel will have restrictions,bc american magazines "needs" to sell.....hope at least he could do more with Marie Amelie Sauve than Enninful....and as Templer belongs to Interview he won't work with Meisel anymore....

about replacements....i prefer Mikael Jansson or Inez & Vinoodh instead of M*M...

finally,it's Vogue Italia lost(and ours too)...of course a magazine we loved and not only Meisel (with his vision and the way he kept relevant and focused on new talent,but Franca were responsible for the final product...if it's all true it's her way to say..."im the boss" a very common attitude in fashion....

again..mixed feelings...

What Stories about Franca Miss Dalloway? is she a ego-maniac too?(like many other editors)

Yup, no coincidence there. These are people with huge egos, the stories i heard about Franca that i could tell you. :rolleyes: Meisel can be no better though, but it will take a long, long time, if ever, for their relationship to repair. We most likely wont see his name in VI ever again.

It's an end of an era without a doubt!

Suddenly, this popped up in my mind... A great shot by Meisel:smile:-

VI

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's no lockdown on any one particular name, perhaps VI is a place where the whimsy of Tim Walker could occasionally work on the cover, amid the months where it's M&M or Roversi.

Walker is about the only guy I'm confident about for the cover. So many of his published works for the magazine could have been extended to the cover. 'Mechanical Dolls' immediately came to mind.

For me it's clear that VI only can get worse without Meisel, but I would like to see a rotation of newer photograpers who don't do the covers for Vogue Paris, Britain, US, Japan, Germany... I think that is the only possibility for VI to stay unique because I don't believe that there is any other photographer than Meisel who has the talent to do every cover without becoming boring one day.

Can someone be so kind as to give me a tl;dr version of what's going on?

Can someone be so kind as to give me a tl;dr version of what's going on?

Here's the gist of it:

Ok so this is what i heard, and i might get in trouble, but i dont care. TFS always seems to be withheld the good gossip, so here it is (no idea how truthful, but the person who told me works as a PA to one of the major Photographers );

So it doesn't seem to be about KK (i think), however it was a huge blow out between Sozzani & Meisel! She wanted him to exclusively shoot the China story only for VI cover ed, however he agreed to shoot Fei Fei for Wintour's May issue. And Franca really resented the fact he chose them over VI, after years of loyalty she has showed him. And despite of Meisel having a very bad relationship with Anna, especially in last few years, Sozzani always had his back. But when he picked US Vogue over VI, she decided its time to use someone else to shoot the China cover story.

It's most certainly an end of an era, so unless they have KK in super Chinese look on the cover, its the matter of personal resentment, and perceived betrayal which led Sozzani to go with someone else for the cover.

Enninful posted a photo on instagram a few minutes ago with McDean, Eugene Souleiman, Peter Philips and Julia Nobis so perhaps he just happened to be there for a W shoot. Or changes at W are coming too. One thing's for sure, it is the end of an era as many of us got into fashion magazines seeing a Meisel photo. I hope there'll be variety in VI from now on and not just one photographer shooting the cover every month.

Confirmed! Steven will no longer be working for Vogue Italia, he's headed to W full time now from what i heard.

I'm in a state of shock. I feel as if my Parents have split up or died, as I too, was bought up on Sozzani and Meisel.

In a world that is no longer itself, a world that is disappearing and being replaced with something else, something new, at a blinding and dizzying rate, Sozzani and Meisel was always, and in my mind still is, for me, the definition of fashion and the last bastion of a world I loved. RIP 90's Vogue Italia, which for me was and is the spirit of fashion. Sure it had to change, it wasn't what is was but I was hoping it wold someday return to it's golden days.

This is a death blow and one that I don't welcome at all, it really is proof that even that which seems invincible is just an illusion and everything in life is temporary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can accept that, probably he will retire soon and they are preparing people for a new photographer.

I just heard Meisel will continue at VI but not with every issue.

Thanks for the update!! This I can live with, and I even foresaw the arrangement. I mean, there probably was a contract in place? Now I hope VI listens up: book Meisel for the January, March and September issues please.

Where are everyone's sources for these "confirmations?" So far, it was 'confirmed' that he was headed to W full time, and now it is that he will continue at VI in some capacity...

If Meisel continues for VI for some issues then he will put the other photographers to shame. Imagine lackluster covers on the yearly roundup and then you have Meisel issues slaying the rest of them.

If Franca is not worried she should be. VI as a magazine in itself is absolutely terrible, its probably and i say this without exaggeration the worst of all Vogue issues. What makes it unique and special is indeed the quality of its photography and the high standards of Meisel at the helm.
Although i believe in general that people that get too comfortable become despotic and lax, and new blood is always welcomed, Meisel is Vogue Italia, i do not believe Franca will manage with a variety of photographers to keep the quality consistently at a high level.

well people let's buy Meisel last issue from his 27 years of VI...if he continues to collaborate here and there will be sporadic....

i agree with everyone,let's see how Franca manage to revamp this new era of Vogue Italia...

Someone close of his team told me that it's true...and that he's tired and don't want to feel the pressure month after month....the new issue will have collabs of Klein, Summerton and Alridge but not confirmed who shot the cover.....

Someone close of his team told me that it's true...and that he's tired and don't want to feel the pressure month after month...

Thanks a lot for the info, Xone! Wow, this I can believe! Very much. When you look at every editorial and video, the sheer detail that went into it, month after month.....it can obviously amount to a lot of pressure. That's not even counting concepts which may have been crashed. Then he's still doing campaigns as well. It's quite a lot actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snork
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->