Michael Vick Indicted on Federal Felony Dog-Fighting Charges

this is the most disgusting thing i've read in a long time. and sadly, he'll probably be picked up by the CFL because they're spineless like that.

I dare the League to allow this creep to play pro-ball again. :ninja: He should be forced to return all the money he's been paid in his professional career for donation to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals!

And he should spend one whole year cleaning out the kennels of his local SPCA chapter with his toothbrush.

I feel very happy about this...
makes me think maybe all those petitions I signed helped.
Good day!

Nike suspends contract of NFL's Vick

Nike Inc. said Friday it suspended a contract to sell athletic apparel associated with Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, who has been accused of running a dog-fighting ring.

In a prepared statement posted online, Nike said that it "has suspended Michael Vick's contract without pay, and will not sell any more Michael Vick product at Nike-owned retail at this time."

Separately, Reebok International Ltd., a division of Adidas AG, said Friday that it has suspended sales of Michael Vick jerseys, though the company does not have a specific contract with the athlete, according to media reports.

Vick on Thursday entered a "not guilty" plea to the dog-fighting charges in U.S. District Court in Virginia. He was released on bond and a trial has been scheduled for late November.

On July 19, Nike reacted to the dog-fighting allegations by announcing it was suspending the release of the new Zoom Vick V shoe.

"Nike is concerned by the serious and highly disturbing allegations made against Michael Vick and we consider any cruelty to animals inhumane and abhorrent," the Beaverton, Oregon-based company said Friday.

However, Nike said that "we do believe that Michael Vick should be afforded the same due process as any citizen in the United States, therefore, we have not terminated our relationship."

marketwatch.com

this is the most disgusting thing i've read in a long time. and sadly, he'll probably be picked up by the CFL because they're spineless like that.

Seriously doubt that. There has been so much stuff in the media regarding this that the CFL hasn't expressed ANY interest in bringing him over. I think they draw the line at drug users.

When I first read/heard about this I was shocked, angry, disgusted and so many more emotions I can't put into words. Not only am I a fan of dogs but pitt bulls happen to be my favorite breed of dogs. I've been an owner of pits for the majority of my life...since I was 7 and I am now 26. I realize that this type of dog gets a bad name and its because of people like this who train them to be so damn vicious.

What freaks me out? Yesterday there was an article written about the dogs. At the moment the dogs are being held in a kennel as "evidence". The employees of the kennel are NOT allowed to show the dogs to anyone who is not an employee of the kennel. And apparently these are some of the most aggressive pitt bulls in North America and will be put down as soon as they are finished being evidence.

As a person I understand the need to put down these pitt bulls since they've been treated so badly and probably can't be rehabilitated, but I think its sad. I don't think dogs should be mistreated ever. I think people who mistreat dogs are just plain evil.

On a side note...kinda related...apparently Emmitt Smith, formerly of the Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals is being questioned about his involvement in the case. If he is found gulity of any wrong doing he can be taken out of the hall of fame.

Animal cruelty makes me so mad.......:angry:

His team, Atlanta Falcons, should be picketed and boycotted until they fire him.

People should picket his road games and refuse to buy tickets.

PREACH IT, SISTER!! This is the most infuriating, most barbaric, most disturbing thing I've heard in a while. :angry::angry::yuk::sick:

At least you know PETA will be all over his *** if he doesn't get fired :lol:

Honestly, PETA has had little to do with this issue. Almost every show I watch has someone from the Humane Society probably because they are known as being more credible, particularly in the area of fighting animal cruelty with actual legislation. I think PETA has just capitalized on the issue, but that is neither here nor there.

Vick: I Found Jesus

Speaking in a quiet, contrite voice, former NFL stud Michael Vick faced the media outside of a hotel in Richmond, VA -- and accepted responsibility for his role in a dogfighting ring.

4t90uab.jpg

"I will redeem myself" said Vick, "I have to."

Vick wasn't specific about the acts he was sorry for, but declared, "Dogfighting is a terrible thing. I reject it."

Between apologies to everyone from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank -- to all the kids who used to look up to him, Vick declared that he's found Jesus and has turned his life over to God.

"I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself, to say the least. I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts. What I did was very immature, so that means I need to grow up."

Vick also dropped part of his apology in the third person saying, "I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to be a better Michael Vick the person, not the football player."

During the presser, Vick made it clear several times that he never "pointed the finger" and is prepared to face the consequences of his actions.

After speaking for nearly five minutes, Vick left the podium without taking any questions.
^ This just screams "damage control" to me, but he did plead guilty and maybe he was being sincere. :rolleyes: :unsure:

(image & source: http://www.tmz.com/2007/08/27/vick-i-found-jesus/)

Turned his life over to God? Maybe he can go and live in a monastery. Please.

^ She didn't exactly defend his actions....
she just said that where he is from Dog Fighting is very popular and not really thought of as cruel and she understands why he didn't think it was big trouble at first....
but I don't think she went as far as defending him from what I have seen/ read.
Anyone catch the entire segment?

all I know is if one more convicted criminal in the news "Finds Jesus" again im going to throw-up

well, i think she was defending him, "it's not his fault, it's part of his culture..blah blah blah." she's basically condemning his actions, but defending the individual.

from what i've seen in many news/shows a lot of African Americans are defending Michael Vick.

their stance is that the media is making a big issue about it because Michael Vick is...black. i can't believe there are still people supporting him.

i think it is important to focus on the issue, because if it is normal in the 'south,' 'da deep south' then we need to educate them, that this is not normal. i mean come on he was torturing, electrocuting, drowning, and killing dogs. it takes a special kind of human being to do something like that and feel nothing.

i hope he rots in jail

Last edited by a moderator:
^ She didn't exactly defend his actions....
she just said that where he is from Dog Fighting is very popular and not really thought of as cruel...
You're correct....she backtracked a little first thing today.

I just cannot comprehend how anyone can feel torturing & killing dogs is nor cruel???????:angry:

You're correct....she backtracked a little first thing today.

I just cannot comprehend how anyone can feel torturing & killing dogs is nor cruel???????:angry:

I dont know why people think it is nor cruel either shoesexy^_^

The same way it didn't bug me to eat meat for 20 years. I'm not saying it's right but it doesn't necessarily make him evil..or at least I think thats what she's saying. It's not something he actively thought about. There are people who would defend wearing fur until they're blue in the face and others who couldn't comprehend how anybody could defend that practice. I think what he did was disgusting and his actions after the event were not exemplary at all. However a lot of people who are attacking him as if he is a monster are completely hypocritical.

I'm glad that attention has been brought to the issue of dogfighting and I really, REALLY hope it stops soon. It's not cultured, it's just ignorant.

I don't think Whoopi was defending Vick or his actions, but saying rather that it's prevalent in the culture that Vick comes from. However, to characterize Virginia as the "deep South" was inncorrect. The truth is that in many cultures, these actions would not be considered cruel or unusual. Do most Americans consider it unnecessary to herd together chickens, cows, and pigs in crowded, unsafe environments? Or do they just not care? Or do they not even think of it and focus on the end product?

I think there's a vast difference between pointing out the circumstances that surround a case and defending it. I absolutely 100% think Vick's actions were disgusting and unwarranted but many people think otherwise. Maybe that's the real issue that needs to be addressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->