Milia

laisla

Reaction score
After scouring the web for months I have finally discovered what the little flesh/white coloured bumps under my skin are. Id mistaken it for various types of acne, viral infections and rashes but I now know it is in fact Milia.

Now that I know what it is, I really want to treat it.

The milia cysts are around my chin area…they are not noticeable to anyone but me when I scrutinise my face in the mirror [a bad habit I must stop doing]. The skin also feels bumpy and it really stands out in certain light. Like everyone, I want perfect, smooth luminous skin and this is the one thing holding me back because I have pretty good skin otherwise. Although I rarely suffer with spots, the milia cysts occasionally turn into a regular whitehead.

The treatment seems to be basic extraction but because its not seen as a big problem by doctors and scarring is possible they are sometimes reluctant to do anything. Asking to see a dermatologist on the NHS will probably take months and of course, like everything in life, I want a quick and easy solution.

Every website I’ve read suggest that the best way to tackle Milia is to exfoliate, cleanse and make sure there is oil in your diet. The problem is; I cleanse, exfoliate and moisturise religiously. I don’t wear heavy makeup either*. I also eat plenty of fish and take oil supplements [flaxseed and evening primrose].

My current skin care regime:

(Morning)
Garnier Clean Detox Anti-Dullness Foaming Gel
Evian Remineralising Moisturiser for dry skin
Every other day I use Neutrogena Visibly Clear Gentle Exfoliating Wash

(Night)
Boots Skin Expert make up remover
Olay Regenerist Thermal Skin Polisher
Olay Night Cream for Sensitive Skin

I usually use a clay mask once every fortnight.

Last night in a fit of frustration I decided to extrat the cyst myself by squeezing them like a regular spot and put tea tree oil on them. This morning I woke up with really red skin and some infected spots/zits [although I made sure to cleanse both my face and hands before and after doing it]. I still have some milia cysts. Im at home today and dont need to go out at all so I have no makeup on and am wearing night cream instead of a lighter moisturiser. Obviously what I did last night is not the best thing I could have done [and Im terrified Ive done more harm than good] so Im asking if anyone can suggest other ways to get rid of this. Am I using the wrong, too many or not enough products? Should I take any other supliments?

There is a limit to how much I can spend on products…premium skin care is pretty much out of the question, unfortunately.

*I also tried using mineral make up [which was another suggestion] but it just made my skin dry and (I think) the milia worse.

p.s I didnt put this in the acne thread because its not actually acne.

thanks in advance for anyone that may be able to help me.

^forgot to say I wear 50spf suncream everyday [on top of my moisturiser]

I highly recommend you stop using all those products immediately and seek the advice of a reputable dermatologist. Read this. I hope the condition resolves quickly! :flower:

^ I had a feeling you would suggest a dermatologist :P but I know you are right. I guess I want some quick fix miracle cure [you havent got a magic wand by any chance?]. I'll book an appointment with my GP and hopefully she will refer me. Maybe if I go there with my unsightly red blotchy skin [self inflicted from where I tried to extract them myself] she will make it a priority referal.

I have read the dermadocter article but Im always a bit dubious about that site...it seems like [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Audrey Kunin, M.D. [if she really exists!] is just trying to plug her products.

[/FONT]Ill try to stop with all those products and just wash my face with water from now until I see someone about this. Maybe I should get myself a paper bag to wear over my head :(

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]thanks for the suggestion anyway :flower:
[/FONT]

I think I have these too. But I don't know if you would get a dermatologist on the NHS for this because its not really a health issue is it? I squeezed something on my face the other week and a little hard ball came out! What was that!?!?!?

I had the same problem. I used all these products for oily skin, spotty skin, all those drying, clarifying, scrubbing, pore-reducing BS. AND I used 50SPF sunscreen.
Than I went to makeupalley.com and they recommended I dropped all these and start using oil-based makeup remover & moisturizer. No scrubs or exfoliation. Can't say my skin is in top condition but it definetly imrpoved a ton.

I literally searched all over the web putting in every description of the condition I could think of in search engines. I was shown results for all sorts but once I found out about milia and had a look at pictures of the condition I knew for certain that is what it is. Such a relief. Although it was seemingly hard to find out exactly what it is, it is surprisingly common. Put simply; it is clogged pores as the skin isnt exfoliating itself like it should be.

I think I have these too. But I don't know if you would get a dermatologist on the NHS for this because its not really a health issue is it? I squeezed something on my face the other week and a little hard ball came out! What was that!?!?!?

That is what I was thinking. Milia isnt dangerous and Im pretty much the only one that notices it on my skin so the Doctor will probably be hesitant at sending me off to a Dermatologist. Ive been reading about people being pescribed retin-A by their doctors but that seems to be mainly in the USA.

Tonight Ive just rinsed my face with water. Its so tight...Im fighting the temptation to slather on moisturiser :doh:

Im going to pop in to Holland and Barrett's on Friday to get some more flaxseed and Omega 6 oil. These are suposed to be quite good for this condition. I'll also try my best to drink plenty of water.

Im torn as to what to do with my skin until I see my doctor. I think I need to give my skin a rest from all the products Ive been using. Just looking at the list of products Im using daily makes me shudder to think about all the chemicals Im putting on my face. I think I need to look into a good natural face care line. Wearing makeup may clog the pores again so I'll lay off the war paint for a while. I dont know whether to continue to just wash my face with water each day. As I previously said, my skin feels really tight and dryness seems to be a contributing factor to developing milia. Im also worried about not using sunscreen. I hate to go outside without out it because I have such fair skin.

I know it all seems quite pathetic when put into pespective but it really does bug the hell out of me and I just want to get rid of it once and for all so I can quit worrying and complaining about it.

(Deborah, I think the hard stuff that came out is hardened sebum which, as far as I can tell, is nothing to worry about.)

Yanka thanks for the info :flower: do you think dryness was a factor in your condition?

Dry and tight is not good for your skin. I think you should be able to tolerate a light application of oil, like extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Moisten your face with water first - just a few drops of oil should do the trick. Pat any excess with a cotton pad.

And do not pick or scrutinize your skin!! :boxer:

I have the same problem, but mine is mainly on my forehead (I Have a few on my chin too)...I stopped using moisturiser lately and switched to sweet japanese girl by LUSH...then I use a bit of toner to get off excess oil. Once a week I use benzoyl peroxide around problem areas to kill bacteria.

My skin's looking a lot smoother (although my lifestyle is NOT healthy right now so that doesn't help)

Someone mentioned the 'little hard ball' that came out when you popped it. What it is is a hardened, pearl-like mass of sebum and dead skin cells that is trapped beneath the surface. Since they're not exposed to oxygen you need a lancet to remove them. I wouldnt recommend trying to do it alone. Call around at some medical skin spa clinics and see if they do lanceting, milia extractions. It's not like a regular extractor tool. It's a very sharp actual blade that is used to remove them, so thats why its advised to have a professional do it.

Dry and tight is not good for your skin. I think you should be able to tolerate a light application of oil, like extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Moisten your face with water first - just a few drops of oil should do the trick. Pat any excess with a cotton pad.

And do not pick or scrutinize your skin!! :boxer:
Luckily I have some pure coconut oil so Ive just put a tiny amount on. My skin feels much better already.

I terrible for getting right up close to the mirror and poking and proding my skin looking for any kind of mark. Im obsessive! I will try my hardest to avoid doing this :blush:

I have the same problem, but mine is mainly on my forehead (I Have a few on my chin too)...I stopped using moisturiser lately and switched to sweet japanese girl by LUSH...then I use a bit of toner to get off excess oil. Once a week I use benzoyl peroxide around problem areas to kill bacteria.

My skin's looking a lot smoother (although my lifestyle is NOT healthy right now so that doesn't help)

I was looking at the Lush website last night. Sweet Japanese Girl and Angels on Bare Skin seems like cleansers that may be suitable for my skin. The Imperialis moisturiser looks as though it might be the perfect moisturiser for me as it helps balance sebum levels. I'll pop into Lush on Friday when I go to town.

thanks for all the advice :blush:

Oh I forgot I have seen milia removal in the menu for a bauty salon near me so maybe if you try that.

bumping just to say Sudocrem has reduced the redness and swelling. My face has returned back to "normal" so luckily no major damage or scarring *phew*

I still have the problem of milia. Im enquiring with a few nearby salons to see if they do the procedure.

Ive cut out all of the stuff from my old facial care routine and now Im currently using just a water based makeup remover, lush's AOBS cleanser and Lush's imperialis moisturiser. I really like AOBS but Im not sure if its something I should use each day, im going to have a look in Lush later this week to get a cleanser with out any exfoliation. I'll probably steam my face once a week but other than that ill try and not do anything with it untill I get the milia sorted out.

My skin has flared up again...i'm not sure whether it's because it's period time or not. I'm also stressed and don't get any exercise and I'm not eating properly so :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->