Most Overpriced Designer? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
shambles said:
ABSOLUTELY. "Oh, those shoes are made in Italy?!! They must be good"... er, NO, not really.

Yeah. As for "Made in Belgium" that's not a guarantee either...my parents know the man in charge of factory that produces Dries Van Noten over here in China, that stuff is definitely NOT made in Belgium :wink:

over priced poll

my choice would be donatella's version of versace-Over priced for the quality. i have a mid length leather coat off the runway from one of her fall lines and the buttons are plastic and feel like they could fall off any minute. i do however have to say that when gianni was in charge he paid attention to all the lil things like button's and closures and fabric and it was well worth the money. today donatella's version is not up to par for the price. lets hope his niece not only injected her money into that house, but also took a step back in time and brought her uncles taste back to the table too.

Anna Marie

Last edited by a moderator:
Fade to Black said:
Unfortunately, I believe MOST of the designers clothes whose label says "Made in Italy" or a likewise "prestigious" country of origin is a misleading tactic which preys on consumer psychology...China and its factories seem to be associated with mass production, huge factories and assembly line style production where the clothes are made without much thought into the "soul" of the clothing, so there seems to be a stigma...when in reality the clothes are made in China then probably shipped to Italy/Japan/etc. for some last finishing touches, perhaps a label sewn on and all of a sudden it comes from a country where the craftsmanship is supposedly done with more care and the illusion of exclusivity arises.
You make it sound like most of the “Made in Italy” tagged clothes aren’t in fact made in Italy, which I find very hard to believe.

Firstly it’s naturally illegal to mark anything as “Made in Italy” if in fact it’s not the case, and due to the importance and size of the Italian fashion industry it’s not something the Italian authorities simply turn their blind eye to. Especially not these days due to the current crisis in the industry. It’s actually even illegal to have the trademark of an Italian company on clothes if in fact it’s not produced in Italy and there is no indication of the true country of origin. For example, the trademark of an Italian business without further indication can be found deceptive if the goods have been manufactured in China.

To give an indication of the importance of the fashion industry in Italy (Textile/clothing, shoes, leather products, jewellery, perfumery, glasses) it consists of more than 90.000 enterprises employing 800.000 people or 15% of the people employed in the Italian manufacturing sector. Moreover the fashion industry is essential for the Italian trade balance generating a surplus of some 22 billion euros and thereby offsetting the country’s deficit in energy, food and agriculture.

All this is not to say that there aren’t companies which are (illegally) exploiting the “Made in Italy” trademark. At the moment proposals are even made to introduce different trademarks depending on which aspects of the manufacturing process are actually made in Italy i.e. “Entirely Made in Italy,” “Designed in Italy” and/or “Styled in Italy.” Furthermore, as the Italian clothing industry are highly geographically divided, there are even talks of making local trademarks of origin inside Italy.

But I better stop rambling now as I’m not really sure whether this is getting to far off topic, or whether you can make sense of my English…:blush:

I must tell that it takes lot of EFFORT to produce FRESH ideas and new design of clothes. then secondly its also important too consider the hype they have to produce to make sound there cloths are like diamon studded things.
they are OVER priced BUT Please ONe can EXPLAIN me why people pay millions of Dollar for Picasso or Michel angelo's things do they GOt diamonds or what. certainly not But its the feel to inherit some thing of top nouch and exclusive which let people give that price.
I know some of our people will find me Biased But trut Me people Look again and againg when u where ARMANI shirt. If you never experienced it fault is where ??????????

suvan said:
...BUT Please ONe can EXPLAIN me why people pay millions of Dollar for Picasso or Michel angelo's things
Because those are one-of-a-kind masterpieces, far-removed from mass-manufactured clothing.

Excuse-all-the-hyphens-. :P

^^
I agree. Lets not confuse fashion with art. And at least art work has the possibility of increasing in value, making it a relatively good investment.

Staying on topic. I say Prada Sport.

Marni for sure

Hundreds for a little muslin tank! Marni may bring out your cutest little girl whimsical site but when a simple cotton T is priced in the same range as much for high end fabrics from other designers, that's a problem.

Hugo Boss Suits

Fade to Black said:
Yeah. As for "Made in Belgium" that's not a guarantee either...my parents know the man in charge of factory that produces Dries Van Noten over here in China, that stuff is definitely NOT made in Belgium :wink:

Exactly! I used to work selling suits at Hugo Boss for the Boss and Baldeserini line. Says "Made somewhere in Europe"...but the suits are sewn in China or Indonesia and only the assembly of final touches takes place in Europe.

macchiom said:
You make it sound like most of the “Made in Italy” tagged clothes aren’t in fact made in Italy, which I find very hard to believe.

Firstly it’s naturally illegal to mark anything as “Made in Italy” if in fact it’s not the case, and due to the importance and size of the Italian fashion industry it’s not something the Italian authorities simply turn their blind eye to. Especially not these days due to the current crisis in the industry. It’s actually even illegal to have the trademark of an Italian company on clothes if in fact it’s not produced in Italy and there is no indication of the true country of origin. For example, the trademark of an Italian business without further indication can be found deceptive if the goods have been manufactured in China.

To give an indication of the importance of the fashion industry in Italy (Textile/clothing, shoes, leather products, jewellery, perfumery, glasses) it consists of more than 90.000 enterprises employing 800.000 people or 15% of the people employed in the Italian manufacturing sector. Moreover the fashion industry is essential for the Italian trade balance generating a surplus of some 22 billion euros and thereby offsetting the country’s deficit in energy, food and agriculture.

All this is not to say that there aren’t companies which are (illegally) exploiting the “Made in Italy” trademark. At the moment proposals are even made to introduce different trademarks depending on which aspects of the manufacturing process are actually made in Italy i.e. “Entirely Made in Italy,” “Designed in Italy” and/or “Styled in Italy.” Furthermore, as the Italian clothing industry are highly geographically divided, there are even talks of making local trademarks of origin inside Italy.

But I better stop rambling now as I’m not really sure whether this is getting to far off topic, or whether you can make sense of my English…:blush:

sorry dude to give you a reality check on your lofty idealism re: what you wrote. in fact, many of these so-called 'made in italy' labels are in actual fact 'made very much in china' and shipped back for final finishing touches and wah-la. what they do is: the fabric and hardware (which makes much of a difference) are shipped to china for cutting/sewing/putting together and then shipped back to italy to sell. i've seen full-blown, main label dolce & gabbana cashmere coat done this way and i assure you it's the exact same one they were selling in the stores. i suppose it make bernard arnault 'hypocrite' of the year after he 'announced' that NO ONE but france is capable of making luxury goods at the luxury conference held in hong kong last year when a portion of Louis Vuitton's shoes are actually made in china... burberry as well; prada of course, the list goes on.

i agree that 'made in china' does not necessarily mean inferior quality. the quality really comes from the brand and what the managment of the brand asks for in the quality. therefore you can find a sh-- quality martin margiela t-shirt made in italy and a great dries van noten t-shirt made in turkey, let's say...

deviousw said:
my choice would be donatella's version of versace-Over priced for the quality. i have a mid length leather coat off the runway from one of her fall lines and the buttons are plastic and feel like they could fall off any minute. i do however have to say that when gianni was in charge he paid attention to all the lil things like button's and closures and fabric and it was well worth the money. today donatella's version is not up to par for the price. lets hope his niece not only injected her money into that house, but also took a step back in time and brought her uncles taste back to the table too.

Anna Marie

I WILL FIGHT YOU. No im just kidding darling. I just hate these crazy mofo's talking about my baby donatella. She is my baby, no? A little tiny baby i want to burp her and hold her in my lap and feed her yams. Oh i love you donatella now get out before i love you too much.B)

luxmode said:
Marc Jacobs. His clothing tends to fall apart rather quickly...I bought a $700 coat a few years ago, and all of the buttons fell off within a month. I've had to have them sewn back on three times...:shock: His sweaters aren't very good either...I think it's a really overpriced line...the fabrics and construction are really sub-par.

i second that. marc jacobs stuff is not only CRAP quality-wise but as well as design... just flea-market clothing nicked here and there slapped on with a label... and my god he's really cheapening louis vuitton as well... although it was also he that 'built' the rtw part of lv... his cutting really sucks.

I think Prada clothing is rather over priced for its simplicity and lack of quality but I must say that their 500$ shoes are worth every darn penny!

The shoes are by far the most comfortable designer shoes and do last the longest from my experience.

surver said:
sorry dude to give you a reality check on your lofty idealism re: what you wrote. in fact, many of these so-called 'made in italy' labels are in actual fact 'made very much in china' and shipped back for final finishing touches and wah-la. what they do is: the fabric and hardware (which makes much of a difference) are shipped to china for cutting/sewing/putting together and then shipped back to italy to sell. i've seen full-blown, main label dolce & gabbana cashmere coat done this way and i assure you it's the exact same one they were selling in the stores. i suppose it make bernard arnault 'hypocrite' of the year after he 'announced' that NO ONE but france is capable of making luxury goods at the luxury conference held in hong kong last year when a portion of Louis Vuitton's shoes are actually made in china... burberry as well; prada of course, the list goes on.

i agree that 'made in china' does not necessarily mean inferior quality. the quality really comes from the brand and what the managment of the brand asks for in the quality. therefore you can find a sh-- quality martin margiela t-shirt made in italy and a great dries van noten t-shirt made in turkey, let's say...
I’m not in any way arguing that everything labeled ”Made in Italy” is in fact entirely made in Italy. On the contrary I’m in fact acknowledging that this isn’t the case, cf. “All this is not to say that there aren’t companies which are (illegally) exploiting the “Made in Italy” trademark.”

My initial post was just meant to underline the fact that a lot of production is still being made in Italy (cf. the number of companies and employees in the industry) and that the Italian authorities and (at least part of) the clothing industry are acknowledging the problems with the “Made in Italy” branded products made in other countries. In fact they are, as already written, working on different solutions to solve this, in an attempt to avoid a devaluation of the “Made in Italy” trademark.

So please save me from your “lofty idealism” comments.:rolleyes:

surver said:
point taken. apologies if i sounded acusatory ;P
No problem, I just got a little frustrated because my points apparently weren’t clear the first time.

Chloe.
Never understand why they charge that much for a simple cami or a tank:
$700+ for a shirt $900+ or even 1000+ for a halter top? give me a break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->