Most Overpriced Designer? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
masquerade said:
after seeing the most recent issue of bazaar, i have to say dolce and gabbana is.

the dress is 46,000 dollars! and the feather cape is $120,000!!!!

That makes no sense to me.. whatsoever :o

well personally,

i think marc jacobs is OVER PRICED, but

the marc by marc jacobs line is awesome. i have a cell phone strap from there that cost me around 20 bucks and a keep all bag in orange.

that set me back 256 dollars, but i think it's well worth it.

i'd have to say the most overpriced piece of crap that i've ever seen has to be:

1. kate's spade bags with the simple kate spade logo on it. her other bags are cute but these bags, eh nope. they're so simple and it's ridiculous to spend 300 bucks on a bag that has no leather but just a simple logo. it just just makes me even more angry that she's selling the brand not the material

2. dooney and burke. ugly crap. eh :yuk: enough said. not expensive but ugly.

I would have to say Prada. Their shoes are uncomfortable, and their accessories are easily scuffed and most are made of cheap nylon and sold at over-inflated prices. Their clothing doesn't really appeal to me anyway, and what I do have must be some of my worst-quality clothing. I do have a hairband which I love, and I plan to purchase another one, but I do think they are a tad overpriced also. I think the most justifiable prices are that of Hermes'. They destroy faulty bags and take real care making them, hence the high prices, but the finished products are divine. Their price tags are for quality, unlike those of Chloe and Balenciaga etc. whose products I do love but think that I am paying for the trend not quality. From others of tFs, there are many quality issues with the Paddingtons...mine are in perfect condition however. I agree with everyone of Yohji Yammamoto as well! I never really understood Commes des Garcons either...?

Lucien Pellat Finet.... 1500 for a sweater

OH, and definitly chanel.. not so much the tweed stuff, but $500 for a pink plastic ring??

Definetly without a Question in mind it would have to be-
1. Prada- How could you justify paying $95 for a steel enamel keychain!?!

2. Louis Vuitton- Its just wrong for a Co. to sell a cowhide strap for $180

3. Hermes- I can bare with the prices for bags but cmon- $1040 for a baby blanket & stuffed horse?

4. Ralph Lauren- Why would anyone pay $795 for a Patch Pocket Leather Belt It's just not understandable for me to believe when you realize that you can buy airfare and a 3 night hotel stay in Vegas for that amount.

5. DV Versace- It's just so cheesy and for people who want to look tacky. Don't even have to explain.

The best value for your money would have to be-
1. Emilio Pucci- $49 BUCKS for a printed bandana! (full retail price too!)

Last edited by a moderator:
mkd1187 said:
Lucien Pellat Finet.... 1500 for a sweater

Today I saw one for $2665 in Barneys catalogue, and the cashmere did not look anything special

Oh,I don't see a mention of Libertine....I know I keep mentioning it elsewhere,and if there is,I reiterate. Lovely stuff but not worth the quadrupal digits for a mere bit of seam re-working, ripped hems and silkscreening.

Looking back in the thread,FTB,I don't know if I can believe Dries(nor any other Belgian) is made anywhere outside Belgium or the EU for that matter. Unless it's some knock-off con-artist pushing crap in the form of Dries' name & style. And in Asia,I hear,this is a common act amongst indies and avant-garde designers. Like in the West with Prada/Gucci/Versace/LV set. And I certainly don't buy that his work isn't the utmost in quality. Everything I've seen has been brilliant quality.

If he is getting anything from China,I would most likely expect it's only imported textile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prada. I saw a $600 plain black long sleeve cotton tee. For what? Not even a logo or anything. It could be from Target for all we know.

^Where did you see that? Prada tees are under $100 last I saw. Maybe it was during saletime, but still...

that cant be right, prada cashmere cardigans and jumpers are around that price.
fashion_boi_01 said:
Prada. I saw a $600 plain black long sleeve cotton tee. For what? Not even a logo or anything. It could be from Target for all we know.

i agree with scott on libertine. other than that, yohji yamamoto mainline and chrome hearts.

Scott said:
Oh,I don't see a mention of Libertine....I know I keep mentioning it elsewhere,and if there is,I reiterate. Lovely stuff but not worth the quadrupal digits for a mere bit of seam re-working, ripped hems and silkscreening.

Looking back in the thread,FTB,I don't know if I can believe Dries(nor any other Belgian) is made anywhere outside Belgium or the EU for that matter. Unless it's some knock-off con-artist pushing crap in the form of Dries' name & style. And in Asia,I hear,this is a common act amongst indies and avant-garde designers. Like in the West with Prada/Gucci/Versace/LV set. And I certainly don't buy that his work isn't the utmost in quality. Everything I've seen has been brilliant quality.

If he is getting anything from China,I would most likely expect it's only imported textile.

dries used to have all his stuff produced in belgium. but that was ten+ years ago. most of his stuff are now produced in eastern europe, turkey, india... i don't think he's producing in china though. if you look closely there is a quality and detail difference from when his stuff were less mass-produced and really made with care by craftsmen... back in the good old days when he was still 'hungry' and ambitious in building up a dream... now it seems that he's commercialized a bit too much although he's still less commercial than many...

the other belgians are producing real sh*t lately... ann's quality has dropped so much... in both design and craft/material... especially MMM... sigh...

especially who, Viktor&Rolf?..

Actually, I've noticed that all designer labels were putting a lot more effort into design, quality, and exclusivity after 911. But as of recently, their quality has gone down the sh*t hole to hell in a handbasket...

I look at the stitching now and then, thinking their seamstresses were all drunk or high on the job or something. Hmmm, must be kate starting a trend again.

surver said:
dries used to have all his stuff produced in belgium. but that was ten+ years ago. most of his stuff are now produced in eastern europe, turkey, india... i don't think he's producing in china though. if you look closely there is a quality and detail difference from when his stuff were less mass-produced and really made with care by craftsmen... back in the good old days when he was still 'hungry' and ambitious in building up a dream... now it seems that he's commercialized a bit too much although he's still less commercial than many...

the other belgians are producing real sh*t lately... ann's quality has dropped so much... in both design and craft/material... especially MMM... sigh...

Well,MMM is an exception because Diesel owns part of his label. Therefore,when a commercial proprieter gets involved of course the quality will drop.

I just don't agree with you when you say,"the others". A.F. Vandevorst is still producing quality things. As is Branquinho,Simons,Ackermann,Schneider,Pieters,Van Den Heuvel and even Bernhard-despite how crappy his style has become he still makes his crap good.:P

surver said:

It's true that Dries has moved a lot of production to India, Turkey, Hungary, etc... but look at these countries - they have as much of a clothes making tradition as any other. Where does EVERYONE buy handmade, hand-embroidered scarfs? India, of course. In return, Dries keeps his prices honest. What designer can offer you a heavy wool coat for under $1000 today? I don't see where his quality was sacraficied, everything is top notch, much better than "Italian made" Prada, for example. Same for Ann Dem - her quality is excellent, and the few things that are made in Poland (only shirts), are significantly cheaper and same quality as the other stuff.

Agreed on Margiela, a lot of stuff is not worth the money. However, the 4 line (men's/women's formal) fabrics are amazing.

Oh yea, Dior Homme is my new candidate. The prices have not risen much, but the quality went to sh*t.

faust said:
It's true that Dries has moved a lot of production to India, Turkey, Hungary, etc... but look at these countries - they have as much of a clothes making tradition as any other. Where does EVERYONE buy handmade, hand-embroidered scarfs? India, of course. In return, Dries keeps his prices honest. What designer can offer you a heavy wool coat for under $1000 today? I don't see where his quality was sacraficied, everything is top notch, much better than "Italian made" Prada, for example. Same for Ann Dem - her quality is excellent, and the few things that are made in Poland (only shirts), are significantly cheaper and same quality as the other stuff.

Indeed. And with Dries' style being so textile oriented,those countries are the best places to produce the kind of fabrics he wants.

AlexN said:
^Where did you see that? Prada tees are under $100 last I saw. Maybe it was during saletime, but still...

That's in Canadian dollars..even with customs, exchange rates, and all that, Holt's is our only luxury dept store, so therefore they have no competition, and they can charge whatever the heck they want. Maybe if the Prada boutique actually sold men's clothes, then the prices would be lower, but right now the only things they have for "hommes" are accessories-shoes, belts, bags, and wallets.

And back to the no-competition thing, that's the reason why I'm not spending a dime up here on designer duds, I'm saving up for a big trip next summer to the US, gonna go to all them Saks/Neimans/Barneys sales, and plus lower tax rates! :D

Balenciaga dresses/clothes..the bags are ok..but the clothes are crazy...i cave in alot but its too much..chloe too ..waaay too much..alexander mqueen can be crazy...marc jacobs for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wahayoyo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->