Most Overpriced Designer? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fashion is fashion, but among some of the most RIDICULOUSLY priced items out there are the limited edition Nike Dunks by Undefeated. The holy grail of all sneakers.

nikeundefeated.jpg

They look hot, sure, but worth no more than $200, if even. Nonetheless, these suckers easily go for $5000+ USD a pop. One would think that at this price, no one would be stupid enough to purchase them. Alas, at $5000+ USD, they still manage to be sold out everywhere.

It's all about the supply and demand. In the end, if people are willing to pay the outrageous prices, then manufacturers and designers will provide.

-Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
^ :ermm:

Sorry, I'm old Gen X and need this explained to me ... they're very white ... and leather ... they've got the swoosh ... and they demonstrate how to do ticky marks for those who may need a handy reference at their fingertips ... err, heels.

Exactly what is so damn special about these shoes???

fashionista-ta: Something known as hype, and the little brown "Undefeated" insignia sewn onto the bottom rear end of the sneaker.

Hahaha, Karl.Popper really said it correctly. Though I must also admit I've bought into the "rubbish" myself when I was younger :-/. Now I regret spending the amount I did on "hot" sneakers back then, because I realize I could have instead bought much more substantial items from quality designers at the same prices. Overpriced rubbish indeed...

- Cheers

Karl.Popper said:
lol

It's bathing ape territory.

100% rubbish, 10000% overpriced.

Since we're on the subject of Bathing Ape, I walked into the Bathing Ape NYC boutique for the first time last week...and it was my first time seeing the collection of Bape clothes outside of the sneakers/t-shirts which were the only things I was exposed to. That said, the quality is REALLY bad, seriously laughable...yet I hear on a lot of other clothing-oriented forums that people like it because its 'quality materials' justify its prices being higher than other streetwear brands like LRG, Akademiks or whatever. But jesus, $477 for a cotton knit striped sweater that one can find at the Polo stall in Marshall Fields or J.Crew, and those hoodies and down jackets that get rave reviews among the hip hop community are just laughably bad. All of it is bad material, all cotton and feels so cheap. I didn't get a chance to see the leather jackets they had, and that was the one item i was anticipating on seeing and feeling to see what the hype was about.

edit: it also didn't help to enhance my perception of them when the staff acted as if they were guarding the ultimate mecca of cool...I don't even get those kind of vibes at Dior Homme.

Last edited by a moderator:
ebowleg said:
5) Anything Couture :flower:
Haute Couture is under-priced actually (they don't even make a profit out of it). If the like of Christian Lacroix, Dior, McQueen, Yves Saint Laurent (R.I.P.) (who are the one who do the best couture IMO) did really charge what their creations worth, that would be accessible to about 10 people in the world. Some folks pay millions for a Monet. I am not afraid to compare some creations to Water Lilies.

To answer the question, I don't get Armani. The suits are great but that the only thing he can do properly. His dresses are boring and his Haute Couture is horrendous.

Yeah designers can REALLY overpriced..and often they're not even decent quality...And lacking in creativity and design. Some things are just so plain and ordinary it's unbelievable, it's a total waste of money, and people only buy it because it's 'designer'...I'm just thinking, 'Are they kidding? H&M is better...'

Honestly while walking the DH boutique right after going to H&M, I didn't notice a drastic increase in quality from the first to the second, at least not enough to warrant the price discrepancies. The merino pulls from DH were really bad...only notable items were the suits (as usual) and the denim (i like the black creased japanese denim jeans a lot...they look/feel like the black painteds except they were an all black version, had that kind of greasy, slick feel).

My vote would have togo to Prada, I think I saw a nylon windbreaker for about $950 and there polos go for about $200, quite a waste of my money. I decided to go for a nice substitute. Rudsak jackets, works wonders in the cold. I also think J.Lindberg has some pretty stupid overpriced clothes. Like a t-shirt of $140 thats made in China, no thanks.

Dior Homme t-shirts are ridiculously overpriced. Cotton tshirt made in who knows where for a $200 because it has a bee on it. :yuk:

Catherine Malandrino gets my vote. Terrible quality and ridiculous prices (though some cute designs, of course).

I also think Gucci charging what it does for the cheap canvas it uses on its bags is ridiculous. Same with Vuitton (hiding).

Ugh, yes...Gucci canvas GG bags look SO cheap. It's incredible
I also saw some Fendi logo canvas bags at Off fifth in pink, I had seen some Lauren Ralph Lauren bags the day before at a common dept. store shopping for my mom - the LRL looked better :ninja: (although they looked crappy too)

Fade to Black said:
Honestly while walking the DH boutique right after going to H&M, I didn't notice a drastic increase in quality from the first to the second, at least not enough to warrant the price discrepancies. The merino pulls from DH were really bad...only notable items were the suits (as usual) and the denim (i like the black creased japanese denim jeans a lot...they look/feel like the black painteds except they were an all black version, had that kind of greasy, slick feel).

really? I only own one or two items from H&M because everytime I was excited to see the new display in the windows and then disappointed by the quality of the products. I do want to save money, but H&M's quality in general is :yuk:

Spike413 said:
I like to think of Heatherette as Crack wh*re Couture. They charge you thousands of dollars, but you wind up looking like you rolled out of a dumpster with a syringe and crack pipe in your purse. It's 80's prom queens hit by an 18 wheeler, dragged a few miles, thrown into CBGB for an hour, and retiring for the evening in the nearest crack house........just a personal opinion :innocent:

your comment is funny as hell, but actually select pieces out of the fw/05 collection is kinda funky

I agree, and that is exactly what bugs me! Suckers who pay for the adertisements, while they should be paying for the clothes. I would love to see the exact % figure that advertising costs consumers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 25% for Dior, Chanel, Prada, Gucci, etc...

This is true Chanel just paid something like $27 million to do their recent campaign launch with Nicole Kidman.

I've heard that it's more...I can't remember if that's correct, I know there's a thread that I started about cost of production for designers and how much we pay for the final product and how much for the advertisements. I'll post a link later. :flower:

Prada...

for sure is well overpriced, not to mention Gucci, but so it happens with most designer brands which make part of a big "finance group". "Profit" is the magic word, and managers or investors do not care much, neither they know about quality...

Look at Dries, one of the very few which is still independent, good stuff, Ok prices, and no boundaries in terms of creativity...

Look @ Margiela, not so long ago bought by Diesel, the quality of his items is lowering at "supersonic" speeds since he is not longer independent.

It should be the oposite, as being bought by a big group should help them get better prices on raw materials, fabrics, and reduce their overheads, but it actually goes the other way, sadly for the consumers...

The shoe bussines is even worst, I'll tell you some other day, or maybe this will be a good ocassion to open a new thread???

FabulousFashion said:
I hate how just because something's designer it's hundreds of dollars more than something not designer!

But that's the whole point of luxury brands, so to speak. The price makes them more covetable and exclusive. And hence ownership is more ... how to put it, desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->