Most Overpriced Designer? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
faust said:
Where did you get those countries names from associated with those designers? And Dries's and Ann's tags DO say that they are made in Hungary, Poland, India, etc...
Those are the countries I have seen on clothing (including some high end and low end labels) and also have read about in articles. India, for example, I've heard much of Dior's (women's collection at least) details such as embroidery, etc, isdone in India (which isn't bad, same quality standards) I was basically exagerating the list. What bothers me is not the quality - if it's quality, it's quality, no matter if it's from colombia or france. What bothers me is that some designers do next to nothing on something in Italy and the majority of the construction in a 3rd world country (and again, if it's made in good standards and it's quality, then it doesn't matter) and then write "made in italy" or France, etc. Production in China is not expensive. So why is a designer tee $300? I know why, but I don't like "why".
I hate paying a high price for something that doesn't justify the price and turns out to be crap. I at least admire some designers who will say "Made in China" instead of made in Italy (in this case, italy meaning macau).

For overpriced designers:
Dior Homme
Neil Barret (the quality doesn't justify the price)
Balenciaga

Last edited by a moderator:
There is something to be realized here.. quality by country is only a broad and inacurate way of looking at quality of products. It depends on the factory where it was sewn together as well as the mill where the fabric was made.
There are actually truly excellent factories in china (for example) that are on par or better than thier european counter-parts. Not to mention that chinese cotton is quite good as well.
A lot of this made in italy stuff varies WIDELY in real quality.

^Yea, look at Neil Barret, he flaunts "made in italy" as I said before. His tags say "NEIL BARRET MADE IN ITALY". Ok, maybe it is, but the pieces are flimsy and don't look special, the quality isn't remarkable - the only thing that makes people think it's high quality is that "Oh, it's made in italy, so it's good quality" Not always true. That's why I specifically target Neil Barret, he is a perfect example of all this.

you know, macau isn't a bad place to have things made. They have a pretty well to do economy (similar to hong kong) and their appeal to clothing labels has more to do with their special status as a region in china (one country two system also like hong kong) than cheap labor. It also contains some of the more refined factories. I have a few designer items made there and they are actually better quality then some things that were made in italy or spain.

btw, commes des garcons leather accessories (made in spain) suck.

ovidiu said:
Viktor&Rolf men's line

I disagree, I tried on several items from their current fall collection and they were superb. The quality and details in a coat and a jacket were outstanding. I've never worn a better made garment. There was a grey sweater with a a braid knitted into it across the chest diagonally for $770 and I thought that was a bit much but after actually studying know knit manufacturing happens I think it's about right. A coat was about 1,700 and a jacket was about 1,300 and they were worth every dollar.

Prada Is poor quality for how expensive it is,also stella mccartney her prce tag is steep for not using any quality fabrics,leather,cashmere etc

As much as I love Carol Christian Poell, his price tags are quite something...though the quality is outstanding as well and sometimes I wonder, if the staff at Balenciaga compete over the most ridiculous prices...900 euros for a simple anorak in cheap black nylon!

Arturo21 said:
^Yea, look at Neil Barret, he flaunts "made in italy" as I said before. His tags say "NEIL BARRET MADE IN ITALY". Ok, maybe it is, but the pieces are flimsy and don't look special, the quality isn't remarkable - the only thing that makes people think it's high quality is that "Oh, it's made in italy, so it's good quality" Not always true. That's why I specifically target Neil Barret, he is a perfect example of all this.

Not quite so, IMO...Ive bought many pieces from Neil Barrett, and Ive always been happy w/ what Ive bought...One of his sweaters that Ive had for 2+ years now, Ive sent that thru the washer a million times (even though the label says Dry Clean Only), and its still held up, which is more than I could say for my Anne D. sweater that I bought this summer & is already ruined after 3 wears (as I posted in Damage Control)..Thats not to say that ALL of his clothes are of the best quality, but I do feel that the quality of the garments Ive purchased myself do support the price-tag...

AlexN said:
Oh man...I was looking at his stuff on Saks, and it is crazy. Each piece seems like it should be at least about $500 less. :lol:
quote]

Psh--even $500 seems to high for the MJ menswear line, as it's probably the most boring line out there...

raijin said:
There is something to be realized here.. quality by country is only a broad and inacurate way of looking at quality of products. It depends on the factory where it was sewn together as well as the mill where the fabric was made.
There are actually truly excellent factories in china (for example) that are on par or better than thier european counter-parts. Not to mention that chinese cotton is quite good as well.
A lot of this made in italy stuff varies WIDELY in real quality.

That's ture.

I get your point Arturo. I guess the final test is the garment itself, and the overall brand reputation should serve as a warning sign, but not a final test.

Well, maybe I've had two bad experiences with NB (both I returned),b ut I haven't had that much exposure. The only other Neil Barret I own is his 96 hours line from puma, a pair of vietnamese made shoes and by this time after about 2 months of ownership my usual, cheaper mall-bought shoes are showing signs of wear (excluding my pumas which have just finally become ugly after 2 + years of continuous wear) - these are holding up extremely well. Now as I returned both items, I haven't had long term experience - but I returned them because they just looked bad, they looked like they could have come from the gap in quality (which isn't bad, but for hte retail price you'd expect much more). In design I like NB, in quality I've been disappointed but who knows, I'll give him a few more chances.

As for Macau, it really depends on quality control, no matter where you go and how the workers work, their conditiions (as has been mentioned before). My APC New Standards are amazing quality, despite them not fitting well (a bit tight) the construction is so sturdy and the fabric so beautiful. Overall they're beautifully made and cut - made in MACAU. :heart:

TrophyBrown said:
...which is more than I could say for my Anne D. sweater that I bought this summer & is already ruined after 3 wears (as I posted in Damage Control)
:blink: Not good.

Damage Control? I'm not finding that thread. Could you post a link, please?

You can ALWAYS spot a designer ' scam ' , when you hear the term ,

' PRET A PORTER DE LUXE ' !!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
i couldn't have said it better myself, kit!

well i personally think the D&G line has some really dodgy pieces which although are not astronomically priced, are too expensive for what they are - a NYLON scarf for 150euros? no thank-you!

Also i think Louis Vuitton's JEWELRY is ridiculous! i would never pay $7000 for a yellow gold charm bracelet with no charms and then an extra $2800 (or there abouts) for individual charms with only semi precious stones (like how expensive is amethyst, really...)
sooooooooo ridiculous!

I spent like two hours this afternoon closely inspecting lots of designer garments. A few conclusions I made...

The leather used for Marc Jacobs bags sucks.

DSquared2 quality is a JOKE. I thought it was bad before. Now I think it's worse. Stitching all over the f*cking place. Cheap, crappy products...period. I'm talking men's here.

Not a fan of Prada fabric choices overall, though I saw numerous beautiful pieces. Actually, most of my favorite pieces were Prada. I'm talking women's here.

Ralph Lauren Purple Label cashmere and leather is very good. I really wanted a $900 cashmere sweater (reminded me of a Cloak sweater, actually), and one of the leather jackets I saw literally felt like butter. I never totally understood that saying until today.

Blumarine should be expensive. Nearly every piece I saw was constructed of cashmere, mink, chinchilla, ostrich feathers, and was hand-embroidered...all at the same time.

Armani Collezioni has to use the grossest synthetic fabrics imaginable. So trashy and...80's or something. I don't even know... Touching anything makes me feel like I should be scuba diving or at a gay 80's party. Whatever.

Ummm...that's about all that's coming to mind right now. Everything kinda ran together after a while.

Armani Black Label - craaaaazy prices.
D&G is nuts as well.

Of course, they're all pretty crazily priced in their own ways.

nogreatshakes said:
Armani Black Label - craaaaazy prices.
D&G is nuts as well.

Of course, they're all pretty crazily priced in their own ways.

profound

Great China wall. Their hoodies are nothing special and yet they cost about $700!!!!! And its 100% cotton .. what a rip-off. :angry:

on a more positive note, Ijust bought myself a versace scarf :ninja:

The wool is the nicest i've ever felt, making all the others i've seen before look like the bad leftovers (note that I didn't see much, but it did indeed look like a $200 + scarf, more than I could say for some designers.... I saw some Jil Sander sweaters for women too, the quality seemed really good from just quickly looking at them.

I saw some MJ bags, they looked cheap is all I can say...

Armani Collezioni - it's a wonder people even buy it...it looks simply bad. Bad fabrics, bad cuts...the only thing that makes it sell is that it says 'armani'.

I just went to shopping and found prada to be very underwhelming. Loose threads, poorly sewn emrbroidery, and it looks like they used really short and cheap fibers cause man that stuff fuzzed like crazy.

I looked at John Galliano and while it was nicely made I realized that is something better suited for my grandmother. Maybe it was just Neiman Marcus' buyers.

I saw some Dsquared and didn't mind the quality so much but the prices were insane.

OH! project alabama. This label is just plain dumb. It's ugly, it looks and feels cheap, and I swear to god I don't care if some sweet old woman in alabama sewed it, my 9 year old niece could do the same job (albeit she is already an avid quilter). Biggest joke ever.

and junya watanabe is SUPER good quality

Just speaking from experience, the most expensive clothes I've bought for myself or for a woman are from Hermes, but at least you're getting something that's beautiful. There are stores that cost a lot less, but you get horrible stuff.
I’d rather pay a $1800 for an Hermes blouse, then $1000 for a LV, or $650 for a Burberry.

Brioni and Kiton are pretty expensive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DFA
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->