Most Overpriced Designer? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion:

Chloe (I love Chloe, but $1000 for a henley-esque thing? Ahh! I pee myself every time I go to see Chloe on www.net-a-porter.com)
Marc Jacobs (I don't think his clothing is priced fairly)
Chanel (Fall 2005 shearling coat for nearly $40,000?!!!! Ahhhhhhhh! :shock: :o :shock:

And I actually think Prada is reasonably priced.

Whilst i agree with the general consensus, i would also probably add Plein Sud to the list.

Chanel, although very expensive, i believe is worth the money. At the end of the day, all designer goods are marked-up a significant amount; the trouble is how does one go abouts determining an 'acceptable' price-quality ratio - for the brand, for a specific item? I guess its all rather subjective at the end of the day.

I'm really glad that there are plenty of people here who think marc jacobs is crap! :D

faust said:
I'm really glad that there are plenty of people here who think marc jacobs is crap! :D

Oh, I don't think it's crap at all. I think it's good design (especially the latest collection), just not necessarily fairly-priced. Really, I don't want to say too much. I have never even seen or felt a real Marc Jacobs article in real life. I understand when the brand is highly-priced due to the name (Louis Vuitton, blah, blah, blah), but Marc Jacbs isn't up there with those labels who have been around far longer.

TheGloryOfThe80s said:
I love Lucien Pellat-Finet. They're stuff is insanely priced though. I have a couple of pieces from them. I just wait for there stuff to go on a huge discount at a little shop here, there are never very many takers, I don't think very many people know about the brand.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I adore LPF, but the starting price they ask is ridiculous. Sales are my friend.

Marc Jacobs, JUICY COUTURE, Prada and Chanel!!! :huh:
I L:heart: VEEEE Chanelll... but some stuffs @Chanel are unreasonably overpriced! :blink:
BUt I think Chanel is better than Dior. The shades are lovely but some of the accessories are just... *blah*... :blink:

And Haute Couture, I think they have all the right reasons to keep their price that way :flower:

I remember when I used to think Prada was way overpriced. But it's nothing compared to...

Proenza Schouler
Galliano
Marc Jacobs
Lucien Pellat-Finet
DSquared2

All are completely :wacko:

jssy4eva said:
Dsquared2 isn't that overly priced
It is for the fabric/construction/etc. It's absolutely atrocious...barely above Abercrombie & Fitch level.

AlexN said:
It is for the fabric/construction/etc. It's absolutely atrocious...barely above Abercrombie & Fitch level.
to be fair...dsquared seem to have grown up a bit more, with their fall 05 collection... i actually liked some of it!

brian said:
to be fair...dsquared seem to have grown up a bit more, with their fall 05 collection... i actually liked some of it!
I agree, it is an improvement. I made my statement based on the pieces I saw and tried on from the current collection.

AlexN said:
I agree, it is an improvement. I made my statement based on the pieces I saw and tried on from the current collection.

tried on? :shock:

i'd never go that far... :lol:

:flower:

mini-rant

kLm said:
While I agree that yohji is very expensive... I wonder how many people have actually tried on his stuff. He cuts some utterly fantastic, impeccable pieces--.....If it is a matter of taste, then that's that, but if it is a matter of conjecture--please, try on some stuff! :smile:

that is exactly what i have been thinking regarding this thread.

some of this is about tastes and preferences, and some is about quality and construction.

(rant ahead)

i can see people paying up to several thousand dollars for a well-made item; an item that is artfully tailored and carefully put together by craftsmen and women who are well paid for their labor. there is no substitute for feeling good in your body, and i think fine clothing is a big part of that, whatever that means to you; and, like it or not, what "fine" means will likely be dictated, at least in part, by what you can afford.

but when people pay $15,000 for an item that came off the runway or out of a boutique yesterday - not a vintage kimono or a 17th-century ball gown or a spacesuit worn on mars by the world's first one-legged astronaut - i think they've got their priorities a bit screwed up, personally. there isn't anything you can do to that bag, or that dress, to make it actually translate into $15,000 worth of *anything,* especially when that money could be so much better invested. it seems like a kind of obscene and infantile narcissism, like bathing in an olympic-sized pool of champagne, just because you *can*. i tried to understand it, and i failed.

(end of rant)

but, hey, that's just me.

:innocent:

meme

Last edited by a moderator:
brian said:
tried on? :shock:

i'd never go that far... :lol:

:flower:
I try on everything I can, in this case just to see how bad it actually is. :wink: Ahhh, the lengths I go to just to make a report back to TFS... :rolleyes: :lol:

but when people pay $15,000 for an item that came off the runway or out of a boutique yesterday - not a vintage kimono or a 17th-century ball gown or a spacesuit worn on mars by the world's first one-legged astronaut - i think they've got their priorities a bit screwed up, personally. there isn't anything you can do to that bag, or that dress, to make it actually translate into $15,000 worth of *anything,* especially when that money could be so much better invested. it seems like a kind of obscene and infantile narcissism, like bathing in an olympic-sized pool of champagne, just because you *can*. i tried to understand it, and i failed.
meme[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that makes sense in most cases, I too believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flogomet
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->