Most Overpriced Designer? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overpriced:
Roberto Cavalli (cheap look)
D & G & Marc by Marc Jacobs (terrible quality)
Jil Sander & Helmut Lang (what for? 2 square metres of white or black cotton?)
Marni (real vintage is cheaper and more fun)
Stella McCartney (this girl is totally over-estimated)
Some of the Jimmy Choo - and most of Giuseppe Zanotti designs
Most of the Prada bags
Calvin Klein

Good quality for a high price:
Valentino & Oscar de la Renta (very fine craftmenship)
Chanel (altough I only like some pieces)
Moschino & Moschino Cheap & Chic (the shoes are also amazingly comfortable)
Balenciaga & Lanvin (very nice but even simple parts are far too expensive)
Shoes: Sergio Rossi, YSL (long lasting quality and so comfy)
Roland Mouret (but worth it)

I've never really considered Helmut Lang overpriced, as the construction/feel is outstanding in my experience... but whatever :flower:

I can't believe you are all forgetting everyone's trendy favorite: A Bathing Ape (Bape, for short).

For example (yeah they're ebay links, but for humor:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=5000822339&rd=1
- a friggin plastic CASIO WATCH... $370??!?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38380&item=6773640107&rd=1
-an incredibly grotesque hoodie... how much? By the way, I've seen this particular hoodie bid up to $600 before... ugh.

Unfortunately, the red camo cotton shorts are no longer listed, I assume
someone snatched them up for the bargain price of only $500. :innocent:

I also think Lucien Pellat-Finet is overpriced, I really don't think I need to pay $3000 for a cashmere sweater with a topless woman on it, thanks.

And Michael Kors is just plain boring.

Foxie-Pooh said:
00170f.jpg
how much for the lampshade? :lol:

hermes pret
- i understand the work involved in the leather but the clothing is outsourced.

yamamoto
- tailoring costs close to low-end saville row- v. wrong.
-and he charges an obcene amount to look like a japanese farm labourer in a kurosawa film- v.v. bad(!)

marc jacobs
- gap at ten times the price ( at least in london)

travis_nw8 said:
hermes pret
- i understand the work involved in the leather but the clothing is outsourced.

yamamoto
- tailoring costs close to low-end saville row- v. wrong.
-and he charges an obcene amount to look like a japanese farm labourer in a kurosawa film- v.v. bad(!)

marc jacobs
- gap at ten times the price ( at least in london)

While I agree that yohji is very expensive (and overpriced/priced right/underpriced being completely subjective, of course), I wonder how many people have actually tried on his stuff. He cuts some utterly fantastic, impeccable pieces--speaking strictly for men, of course. I don't feel like a farm labourer when I wear his clothes (although I agree that his runway shows can certainly give off that look, and I generally don't like his pieces until I see them in person). This isn't directed at you specifically travis_nw8, but just in general to the people who have commented on yy. If it is a matter of taste, then that's that, but if it is a matter of conjecture--please, try on some stuff! :smile:

stella mccartney, proenza schouler and tuleh are ridiciously overpriced overall.

balenciaga is overpriced too, but the quality of the clothes is exquisite...the bags, eh...

As much as i love Louis Vuitton....the prices of the seasonal bags are ridiculous.....

Marc Jacobs everything!

Goodwill looking stuff with couture prices...
this guy is just getting outta hand!

Last edited by a moderator:
yet people still buy it....don't get me wrong....i think that Marc has designed some gorgeous pieces, but i think that alot of his popularity and success is cause of the celebrity factor.....everyone goes to his shows, everyone knows who he is.....Jenifer Lopez, Beyonce, The Olsen Twins.....looking at his front row is like flipping through the pages of US weekly......so i think that when people who don't know fashion very well see that, they think " Well, if Kate Bosworth like MJ, then i like him too" which is just sad, the other day, a friend of mine was talking about how she loves Versace, and i got all excited and started talking about the dresses and coats i loved from the upcoming collection...her response? " i love the dress that Beyonce wore in Crazy in Love":rolleyes: anywayz, i'm babbling, but this is why i think that designers overprice alot of things, when your throw in an a list name or two, people are willing to fork over the dollars...that's my opinion anyway:heart: :flower:

as much as i love her stuff and i do buy it i allways feel pretty guilty when i buy anything by Ann Demeulemeester yes its nice but i think its a tad overpriced

Vivienne Westwood Gold Label (is it haute couture quality or not?) is sooooo overpriced

Marc Jacobs is stupidly priced and its not even nice imo

Cavalli (argh!) :o

Galliano is also stupidly priced has anyone else seen those trousers in harvey nichols that have been signed by him or something for like 8,000?

I think Dior Homme is becoming priced more resonably (though quality is going down)
Vivienne Westwood man has good price tags well at least i can afford it :smile:

I think any designer brand whose ads you see on p. 1 - 10 of fashion magazines are likely to be overpriced. All those advertising dollars are tacked directly on to the price of the clothes and that is money not going into the quality of the garments.

Also, I think logo-plastered clothing is always going to be overpriced because it doesn't cost money to iron on a a stupid name brand onto the front of a tshirt, yet those mega companies know that sucker people will pay lots of money to show everyone they're wearing Dior or LV. Those kinds of clothes are like dummy magnets.

I would have to disagree with those who have said that haute couture is overpriced. Of course it's insanely expensive, but when they use the rarest and most precious materials and then artisans sew it all by hand...at least you can trace the costs.

^ those are some very intelligent statements yeny, I couldnt agree more...

VICTIM said:
Galliano is also stupidly priced has anyone else seen those trousers in harvey nichols that have been signed by him or something for like 8,000?

his line has always been very wildly priced. but i think it's definitely worth it. the quality speaks for itself, really...

those trousers are from the mens collection, and cost about $16,000 actually :shock:

yeny said:
I would have to disagree with those who have said that haute couture is overpriced. Of course it's insanely expensive, but when they use the rarest and most precious materials and then artisans sew it all by hand...at least you can trace the costs.

i completely agree :heart: :heart:

For example (yeah they're ebay links, but for humor:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5000822339&rd=1
- a friggin plastic CASIO WATCH... $370??!?!

omg its a g shock or baby g watch that every teenage and pre teen girl had about 5 years ago lol, i had a liliac one they were actually quite expensive i remember myn being £120 which is alot for a watch for a 11 year old think.Considering i wore it twice then desided it was fugly

I love Lucien Pellat-Finet. They're stuff is insanely priced though. I have a couple of pieces from them. I just wait for there stuff to go on a huge discount at a little shop here, there are never very many takers, I don't think very many people know about the brand.

I have to agree with the majority and say that Dior and Chanel's accessories are laughable. All that money for plastic and metal.

*stares at my dior ring set in disgust ... What was I thinking ?? ; )

meme527 said:
how much for the lampshade? :lol:

Hahaha, I thought the exact same thing. My co-workers think I'm crazy for laughing out loud.

On topic, I would have to say:

Baby Phat (who would even PAY to wear that crap?!)

LV- every LV handbag I have had and friend has had has fallen apart in a matter of a short time frame. Quality doesn't back up the price.

Chanel- yes, i love them and buy it (well some of it) but some things, such as the aforementioned cassette tape made me roll my eyes.

Jenner8675309 said:
LV- every LV handbag I have had and friend has had has fallen apart in a matter of a short time frame.

that really shouldnt've happened :shock:
and even so, you can always take it to a louis vuitton boutique for repairs

^

Very true, and repairs were made, but the leather wore very quickly, with truely very little use and abuse. We were very shocked and disappointed. I do know others who swear by it, so I will just chock it up to my bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flogomet
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->