Most Overpriced Designer? #3

The prices of the new Burberry… my god.
The new website is very great and the new logo works!
Burberry products overall needs to have the input of Daniel Lee because the classic line looks suddenly very tacky.

Agreed, new website is great and seeing the looks broken down and pieces separately, there's quite a few that I wouldn't mind in my closet. He's the best at designing trousers for men in my opinion. But the pricing, jeez! 2.3K EUR for checked trousers, 11.5K for a shearling coat, 3K for a cotton parka with synthetic collar... Good luck with that...

Are you not interested in the feathered gown at only 57.000 Euros? :grinningsquinting:

I agree that the prices are insane and in their insanity on par with other brands such as Prada, new Bottega etc. Have to admit that the Burberry merchandising is very well done and eye-catching.
I guess they're really trying to cater to a very fashion minded clientele with this, the selection is far from boring or discrete.
Normally I'd say this is retail gold, but I'm not sure how clients are going to react to the prices and also how they're going attract that specific clientele who maybe don't have the brand on their radar yet.

I saw the price of that gown and was shocked. When Bailey was at the helm, they had very expensive pieces but they made sense…Like an Alligator coat or furs/exotic skins outerwear. I mean, if you are going to Burberry for a statement coat, not a gown…I would rather go to a brand with a real fashion credibility for that.

‘Each seasons I put some high fashion pieces on my wishlist (not that I will buy them all but I do it nevertheless) and I waited for Burberry and Loewe to release the collection. And tbh, when I see that I can buy the Versace skirt and the Dries sweater I want and it will cost me as much as a blouse from Burberry…I’m not even thinking.

‘And why is a Gucci runway trench coat cost less than a Burberry one?

They hired Daniel Lee from Bottega Veneta to sell stuff with a Bottega price tag.

‘We talk about the very rich clientele and stuff but the people who loves fashion (not branding), who are interested in runway pieces and who wants it to be part of their wardrobe and lifestyle…Cares about the prices.

They are literally selling a fake fur coat at the same price as a shearling coat from Bottega Veneta. Ridiculous!

‘We talk about the very rich clientele and stuff but the people who loves fashion (not branding), who are interested in runway pieces and who wants it to be part of their wardrobe and lifestyle…Cares about the prices.!

That's a very good point that I regret none of the major luxury brands take into consideration. I understand you want to capitalize on certain purchasing behaviors from new money customers who equate very high price point with quality, but by doing so you ostracise a portion of your clientele who has embraced your brand identity and is a conscious customer. I started buying luxury fashion in my high school years (very late 00s) and prices were nowhere near what they are today. I recalled in another thread finding the receipt of a leather/linen cabas from Celine FW11 that cost 620 EUR. I let you reflect on what you have nowadays at that same brand for that same price... But back to my point, I always had a good relationship with SAs who were actually excited to have someone who had seen the show, knew the collection etc. I didn't spend anywhere near what some who would step in and drop 20k in one shot, but that didn't diminish the service I got and I always found that really special. If I didn't work in the industry and didn't have access to the benefits that we have, there is no way I would spend that amount of money on something I'm going to wear for a couple of seasons. Because it's not just a matter of can we, it's a matter of do we want to? You can jump through hoops and I'll never believe a pair of wool trousers should cost 2.3K EUR. 1 because of common sense, and 2 because I know damn well how much it cost to produce.

That's a very good point that I regret none of the major luxury brands take into consideration. I understand you want to capitalize on certain purchasing behaviors from new money customers who equate very high price point with quality, but by doing so you ostracise a portion of your clientele who has embraced your brand identity and is a conscious customer. I started buying luxury fashion in my high school years (very late 00s) and prices were nowhere near what they are today. I recalled in another thread finding the receipt of a leather/linen cabas from Celine FW11 that cost 620 EUR. I let you reflect on what you have nowadays at that same brand for that same price... But back to my point, I always had a good relationship with SAs who were actually excited to have someone who had seen the show, knew the collection etc. I didn't spend anywhere near what some who would step in and drop 20k in one shot, but that didn't diminish the service I got and I always found that really special. If I didn't work in the industry and didn't have access to the benefits that we have, there is no way I would spend that amount of money on something I'm going to wear for a couple of seasons. Because it's not just a matter of can we, it's a matter of do we want to? You can jump through hoops and I'll never believe a pair of wool trousers should cost 2.3K EUR. 1 because of common sense, and 2 because I know damn well how much it cost to produce.
I’m exactly in the same position…
I think it’s very frustrating. As a customer, I try to be rational and strategic on the way I’m spending. If I like a collection, I want a piece that is capturing the spirit of a collection. So when I’m looking at some strategies, I’m really puzzled because after all, the goal is to sell those pieces at full retail prices.

‘While the economy is rocky, there’s a lot of new money, there’s the influence of social media (where people display lavish lifestyles) and buying expensive pieces is part of the whole thing. Brands knows that and it has become a ridiculous race.

When you see a brand like Burberry, you know about their network of outlets and also about the fact that probably a good portion of those outlets are filled with specially designed products and Riccardo’s era’s stuff on top of the fact that the brand’s perception is not at that rate, something is wrong.

You said it perfectly, it’s not a question of can or not but the question of wanting or not for some customers. Unfortunately can or not is more and more encouraged.
Let’s be honest, only a person who loves the work of Daniel Lee would want to buy a feathers embroidered dress. There’s no status attached to buying Burberry (even if a Trench coat can be a status symbol).

SAs always loves the customers who are into fashion, who knows about the collections, the references the cut and all…And the irony is that we are generally the ones who spend less.

I have been a Chanel customer since 2004. I think it’s the brand that I have the longest ongoing relation with. Between 2004 to 2019 I bought at least one piece from the runway whether is accessories and RTW. Yes the work of Karl was a valuable justification for it but I always felt like it was worth it. Since then tbh, between the price increases (people talk about bags but it’s insane in RTW), the quality issues I’m not interested. Today buying anything Chanel today for me has more to do with maintaining some type of purchase history with the brand and enjoying the retouching services provided when I want to alter a vintage piece I acquired.

It’s getting ridiculous and I wonder (I said it before here) when this bubble is going to explode. A t-shirt shouldn’t cost 5 dollars but it shouldn’t cost 4000 euros either!

I’m exactly in the same position…
I think it’s very frustrating. As a customer, I try to be rational and strategic on the way I’m spending. If I like a collection, I want a piece that is capturing the spirit of a collection. So when I’m looking at some strategies, I’m really puzzled because after all, the goal is to sell those pieces at full retail prices.

‘While the economy is rocky, there’s a lot of new money, there’s the influence of social media (where people display lavish lifestyles) and buying expensive pieces is part of the whole thing. Brands knows that and it has become a ridiculous race.

When you see a brand like Burberry, you know about their network of outlets and also about the fact that probably a good portion of those outlets are filled with specially designed products and Riccardo’s era’s stuff on top of the fact that the brand’s perception is not at that rate, something is wrong.

You said it perfectly, it’s not a question of can or not but the question of wanting or not for some customers. Unfortunately can or not is more and more encouraged.
Let’s be honest, only a person who loves the work of Daniel Lee would want to buy a feathers embroidered dress. There’s no status attached to buying Burberry (even if a Trench coat can be a status symbol).

SAs always loves the customers who are into fashion, who knows about the collections, the references the cut and all…And the irony is that we are generally the ones who spend less.

I have been a Chanel customer since 2004. I think it’s the brand that I have the longest ongoing relation with. Between 2004 to 2019 I bought at least one piece from the runway whether is accessories and RTW. Yes the work of Karl was a valuable justification for it but I always felt like it was worth it. Since then tbh, between the price increases (people talk about bags but it’s insane in RTW), the quality issues I’m not interested. Today buying anything Chanel today for me has more to do with maintaining some type of purchase history with the brand and enjoying the retouching services provided when I want to alter a vintage piece I acquired.

It’s getting ridiculous and I wonder (I said it before here) when this bubble is going to explode. A t-shirt shouldn’t cost 5 dollars but it shouldn’t cost 4000 euros either!

I'm with you on all this, and one point that you mention that I feel like is also another key element is the price increase while quality is decreasing. And that to me is the biggest betrayal of today's luxury industry.

The essence of the word luxury (that should evoke well-made, high quality items) has completely vanished in recent years. I personally find it shameful that every luxury brand cuts production costs nowadays which is then reflected in the quality of what they are selling. The leathers are getting thinner, so are the wools etc.

I'm always amazed when people pull out archive pieces from the 1960s and they still hold up well. That's because quality was there, and the material were luxurious in the true sense. Let's see what will have become of our FW19 pieces in 2075... I recently bought a beautiful varsity jacket from 1929, almost 100 years old, and it still looks smashing. I doubt my beloved Loewe double faced cashmere coat will make it this far :tearsofjoy:

Burberrys high fashion rebrand has gone from Passable with Riccardo to jokeish.

thats why i said previously; Burberry needs to clean house from top to bottom. Just replacing the CD is not enough. The company as a whole is not fashion savvy. No fashionista works there to tell them “absolutely not.” Seems to be a bunch of Savile Row execs who have no concept of why fashion is fashion and are totally detached from that lifestyle and customer.

again rhis is LVMHs edge with Dauphine Arnault. She has an eye for fashion and that is reflected in the products.

burberry also seems to not understand that rhe highest cache is reserved for haute couture brands. Dior Chanel can command high prices bc of the couture aspect. Burberry is barely above Ralph Lauren in peoples eyes. RL has superior gowns for sure.

Last edited:
€800 ($1'045) leather panties from Bally:
BALLY_WLE01L_NA052_U152_01.jpg
how is this even pardonable? bally leather COATS go for only double this.

Besides inflation, supply chain issues etc, some brands are publicly traded companies and the shareholders require increased profits to increase the share price. It's apparent that it's not always the case but in most cases this is also a reason we see price increases.

IMG_7066.jpeg

Let's contemplate that for a moment. Either it’s a brilliant strategy and limited quantity of runway products pay for Miucia’s bills or it’s so out of touch they’re ending up in warehouse while logo tishirts are making money.

View attachment 1244759

Let's contemplate that for a moment. Either it’s a brilliant strategy and limited quantity of runway products pay for Miucia’s bills or it’s so out of touch they’re ending up in warehouse while logo tishirts are making money.
For my sanity, I'm going to tell myself it's the first.

i like the Prada shirt but that is beyond stupid. Even if you are a billionaire.

i can only imagine it would be purchased by someone that doesn't look at their itemized invoices for their purchases and who is using a wardrobe stylist they've given free reign.

The design and Prada does not give $4k on a shirt.

These three pairs of pants are the same style, from the same brand, in the same cut and fabric, all from the same season and being sold by the same retailer, but one costs CAD$1,305 (or 58%) more than the other. It's one thing to have expensive pieces, but selling the exact same thing at wildly different price points for no reason at all just blatantly undermines the legitimacy of the entire pricing strategy.

1l4vvWI.jpg

These three pairs of pants are the same style, from the same brand, in the same cut and fabric, all from the same season and being sold by the same retailer, but one costs CAD$1,305 (or 58%) more than the other. It's one thing to have expensive pieces, but selling the exact same thing at wildly different price points for no reason at all just blatantly undermines the legitimacy of the entire pricing strategy.

1l4vvWI.jpg
Burberry is a f*cking mess anyway.

Burberry is a f*cking mess anyway.
Burberry at this point, just to briefly compare it with Prada, is completely out in the space with these prices. It is beyond my understanding that Burberry's suits decided to put unrealistic pricing in hope of quick turnaround and long term profitability. You don't have to have MBA but a basic understanding of luxury market to conclude that pumping up prices to ridiculous level with not a single justification will just blow up right in your face. I don't think Burberry can afford another f*ck up like with Tisci but here we are with "100% virgin wool. Lining: 74% viscose, 26% cupro" red checked, ill fitting trousers for almost USD 3000...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->