Natasha Richardson passes away after skiing accident

Very sad news, especially because she has two young children.

it's just so incredibly tragic and utterly bewildering at the same time. i mean i've fallen on(i've had to have stitches!)or hit my head on things countless times and nothing has ever caused for alarm...ever. it's just terrible that something so simple as a mere fall can cause such damage. it scares me really.

i just feel my heart extend to liam and those boys and her mother and sister. we can never imagine losing someone in such an accident.

Richardson died of blunt impact to head

Medical examiner rules 45-year-old actress’ death an accident

NEW YORK - Tony-winning actress Natasha Richardson died of a brain injury after falling on a ski slope, an autopsy found Thursday.

The cause of death was epidural hematoma (bleeding between the skull and the brain’s covering), said Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the New York City medical examiner’s office. The death was ruled an accident.

AP

this is so tragic. I just remembered a couple years ago in my home town a girl was at a hockey game sitting in the audience and the puck hit her in the head and she went home fine and then ended up dying 2 days later. This sounds like the same scenario :( so sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is so tragic. I just remembered a couple years ago in my home town a girl was at a hockey game sitting in the audience and the puck hit her in the head and she went home fine and then ended up dying 2 days later. This sounds like the same scenario :( so sad.

Well, I guess the attention of this sad situation will cause more people to get checked out for head injuries, even if they seem minor, to air on the side of caution and prevent tragedies like this from occuring.

I'm still quite shocked about her sudden death. Life is so fragile. For the most part, you can never really know when it's your time.

This is a lovely tribute to Natasha from Sir Richard Attenborough, he said: "Natasha was a beautiful human in every conceivable way; gracious of manner, witty and sharp of mind, sunny in disposition and stunning in appearance. She was completely her own woman, brave, determined and totally committed to her two major loves – her family and her work."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't think that we fully appreciate the lovely kind people in this world until they are taken away from us. So much of our media is focused upon scandals and pointless gossip. My prayers with Natasha's family.

Last edited by a moderator:
i read on nine msn that doctors said she could have survived.. thats horrible for them to say that now. imagine the familys thoughts.

i read on nine msn that doctors said she could have survived.. thats horrible for them to say that now. imagine the familys thoughts.

I think they meant that she could have survived if she had been treated right away. Is that what you're saying?

so sad. I dont know why but this hits me hard. She wasnt some famewhore or paparazzi junkie. she was just a great actress and loving mum. it's just so sad.

Liam Neeson Comforted At Broadway's Light Dimming For Natasha

As Broadway paid tribute to Natasha Richardson Thursday night with a symbolic one-minute dimming of its marquees, the late actress's husband, Liam Neeson, her mother, Vanessa Redgrave, and her sister, Joely Richardson, were comforted by Sarah Jessica Parker and husband Matthew Broderick as well as fellow actor Ron Rifkin.

RIP and best wishes for her loved ones.

I think they meant that she could have survived if she had been treated right away. Is that what you're saying?

i think so. im not to sure but ill try find the article. your prob correct as i only read it for a second

God Bless Natasha and her family

Natasha had "talk and die syndrome" -- victims who can speak after some kind of head trauma and then deteriorate rapidly. With a head injury trauma, immediate treatment is necessary to preserve life and avoid permanent brain damage. The time between her fall and admission to a proper trauma hospital was four hours. That is too long a period of time to survive the trauma and expect a positive outcome. Initially she got up and walked away laughing from the crash. Hours later she complained of feeling sick and had a splitting headache. With head trauma injuries one can bleed. Deterioration can occur in a few hours or a few days.

The first hospital that she was initially taken to, Centre Hospitalier Laurentien in Mont Tremblant, didn’t treat head trauma injuries. She was then taken to a second hospital, Sacre Coeur Hospital in Montreal. Four hours elapsed between her fall and admission to the second hospital. Natasha was transported by ambulance, not by a helicopter. With the type of injury that she sustained, time was critical for her survival. She was then transported by private plane to Lenox Hill Hospital in New York city where she was taken off of life support.

She had an epidural hematoma, which causes bleeding between the skull and the brain's covering. This bleeding quickly produced a blood clot that put pressure on her brain. That pressure can force the brain downward, pressing on the brain stem that controls breathing and other vital functions. Your brain is in a closed space, your skull. Once swelling in the brain begins, more trauma occurs and even more swelling happens. It is a vicious cycle.

Sources for photos: Corbis, Getty, Wire Image, Film Magic

Attachments

• getty 1.jpg
    getty 1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6
  • getty 3.jpg
    getty 3.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 2
  • wire image2.jpg
    wire image2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
  • wire image.jpg
    wire image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1
  • corbis.jpg
    corbis.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
  • corbis 2.jpg
    corbis 2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
i've been on the phone with my mum, who spends a lot of time in america lately and she's been to hotels around central park and she said she had seen them together like.. 3-4 weeks ago in central park. she was so shocked that they seemed so in love despite being so many years together.

sorry. i cried after the phone call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->