Early Oscar Buzz/Nominations*Update*Complete List of Winners

Here's a complete list of winners thanks to AP and abc.com :smile:!

Mar 5, 2006 (AP)— Complete list of winners at the 78th annual Academy Awards, presented Sunday night at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles:
Best Picture: "Crash."
Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote."
Actress: Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line."
Supporting Actor: George Clooney, "Syriana."
Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener."
Director: Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain."
Foreign Film: "Tsotsi," South Africa.
Adapted Screenplay: Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, "Brokeback Mountain."
Original Screenplay: Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco, "Crash."
Animated Feature Film: "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit."
Art Direction: "Memoirs of a Geisha."
Cinematography: "Memoirs of a Geisha."
Sound Mixing: "King Kong."
Sound Editing: "King Kong."
Original Score: "Brokeback Mountain," Gustavo Santaolalla.
Original Song: "It's Hard out Here for a Pimp" from "Hustle & Flow," Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard.
Costume: "Memoirs of a Geisha."
Documentary Feature: "March of the Penguins."
Documentary (short subject:( "A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin."
Film Editing: "Crash."
Makeup: "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."
Animated Short Film: "The Moon and the Son: An Imagined Conversation."
Live Action Short Film: "Six Shooter."
Visual Effects: "King Kong."

Oscar winners previously announced this year:
Honorary Academy Award (Oscar statuette:( Robert Altman.
The Gordon E. Sawyer award for technical achievement (Oscar statuette:( Gary Demos.

I'm aware that the Oscars are a joke, but Ralph Fiennes was much better than Rachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener.

^Absolutely and yes the Oscars are more of a joke each year

I dunno .. I guess that the Academy trying to please so many people by giving them away to different movies made people get more and more pissed ... I didnt like it ... twas WEIRD. I dunno ...

Am I the only one who's kinda indifferent about reese witherspoon taking home the oscar? I never saw WTL so I can't judge her performance, but I guess I'm kinda meh on people who are made such a big hype about and all they've done is make such a big deal abou this woman. I'm not really a fan of people who get hyped up. I knew the acadamy was gonna choose her---she seems like the safest choice.

dlg

PoppyAzura said:
no I'm not a fan. she was a bright spot in a so-so very slow movie.

It just seemed like there was a push for her this past few weeks.

Yeah, all that push came from Roger Ebert (a film critic).
I swear, the influence he has on the Academy scares me half to death. :angry:

I can't get over the fact that "Crash" won Best Picture. "Brokeback..." was so much more deserving. IMO

daddyslittlegrl8 said:
Am I the only one who's kinda indifferent about reese witherspoon taking home the oscar? I never saw WTL so I can't judge her performance, but I guess I'm kinda meh on people who are made such a big hype about and all they've done is make such a big deal abou this woman. I'm not really a fan of people who get hyped up. I knew the acadamy was gonna choose her---she seems like the safest choice.

dlg

I'm delighted that Reese won- I wanted and predicted she would win- but I don't think this is the performance she should have won an Oscar for. She gave a great performance in "Walk the Line," no uncertainty there, but for numerous reasons I didn't think she truly deserve it. First of all, it was a supporting role. Second, Joaquin was better. But most of all, I just don't feel this is the performance the Academy should reward her for. I'm not referring to her past performances, though she did demonstrate so much talent and charisma in in "Election" and "Legally Blonde" were great. The fact is that Reese is going to have a great career ahead of her, there is bound to be a better role and performance than her "Walk the Line."

Regarding the hype you were referring to- it works. Reese and PSH got every precursor award while Clooney and Weisz did too, though not as much. "Crash" is a prime example of how momentum and buzz and support can get you a win. Everybody saying it's such an "upset" that "Brokeback Mountain" lost but majority of people in the Los Angeles area were rooting for "Crash," (unfortunately :innocent: ).

Sadly, the true reason why I wanted Reese to win is because I didn't think the other nominees were as deserving.... :innocent:

^. It's not that I don't think reese isn't talented. I really really liked legally blond (1st one not the second) and I thought she did a good job in it. But when the media starts overhyping people, that's when I don't really care for them anymore. It's more of a personal preference really. I heard eons more hype about reese than I did about PSH. And you're right, I didn't really see how Keira Knightly should've been nomiated in the first place so I agree with the nominees not being so good. But reese is so.....sugar and spice 'look at me i'm cutesy' so yeah I didn't really wanna see her as a winner.

dlg

Lee Disappointed With 'Brokeback' Loss

But he added that feeling disappointed ``is human nature. And it wasn't for myself. I led a whole team of people.''

``Brokeback Mountain'' won Lee the best director Oscar, making him the first Asian winner of the prize. The film also won best musical score and best adapted screenplay, but lost the best picture award to ``Crash'' - a result considered a big upset.

Among the accolades ``Brokeback'' has racked up are the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, four Golden Globes, including best drama motion picture, and four British Academy Film Awards, also including best picture.

The Oscar best picture win by ``Crash,'' which addresses racism, has stirred speculation that the U.S. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the voting body for the Oscars, has an American bias or that it wasn't prepared to give its top honor to a movie about gays.

-channels.netscape.ca

I remember watching clips from the after party. The brokeback cast were sooo dissappointed by the loss that they covered their faces and ignored paparazzi and walked right into the part without stopping causing everyone to 'boo'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Crash deserved the win. I was very bored by Brokeback. It was a struggle to keep me in my seat. It went by just so so slowly. And I think it was because the only story it had was about a gay couple who couldnt be together.

As well, does anyone else find it quite plain and stupid that they accuse the Academy of being bias for not giving the award to gays so they gave it to the movie about racism... If anything, they wouldnt be prepared for THAT. Just... suck it up and move on. You won everything else PROBABLY only because it was something people hadn't seen or had the guts to create before. It had no substance otherwise. I've always been sort of unsure about telling some of my gay friends that I hated the movie. I don't want to come off as a homophobe...but it just really really... sucked IMO.

Even though I loved Brokeback I think Crash hadnt a strong message and stayed with you longer

daddyslittlegrl8 said:
^. It's not that I don't think reese isn't talented. I really really liked legally blond (1st one not the second) and I thought she did a good job in it. But when the media starts overhyping people, that's when I don't really care for them anymore. It's more of a personal preference really. I heard eons more hype about reese than I did about PSH. And you're right, I didn't really see how Keira Knightly should've been nomiated in the first place so I agree with the nominees not being so good. But reese is so.....sugar and spice 'look at me i'm cutesy' so yeah I didn't really wanna see her as a winner.

And I never meant that either. I was just essentially saying that she wasn't totally deserving of the Oscar. That's why I feel this isn't going to be her only Oscar- she's only 29. :blink:

He has a right to be. "Crash" was contrived and overly exaggerated. I just have to keep reminding myself that "Brokeback Mountain" won for Director, Adapted Screenplay, and Score... :angry:

I disagree! Brokeback Mountain was overly exaggerated! I went in to see the movie and nearly fell asleep. For the first half of the film you have incomplete clips of them on a ranch laughing at jokes that nobody in the theatre understood or having meaningless discussion. The only thing which suggested a relationship between them would arise was the eye contact. Eye contact is not enough for an Oscar. With that being said... it just had NO plot whatsoever! It was a pretty basic story! The only reason I wanted to watch it was because it was filmed in Calgary which is gorgeous, the trailor didn't even do it for me.

I mean what was going on that was so complex and interesting? It was a male to male version of the Notebook toned down a LOAD in terms of being interesting. A guy loves a guy but they can't be together. Pretty basic if you ask me.I can think of hundreds of movies with that same basic story.

I think the Academy is giving all these awards to films that seem so complicated when you watch them and look semi-independant to prove they are somewhat intellectual... why do you think it was such a shocker for Crash or even Hustle and Flow to win an award when they were ultimately the best films nominated!

It was the publicity that I truly think gave brokeback the buzz... they didn't deserve a single award.

It was boring boring boring.

LoveMyBoots said:
He has a right to be. "Crash" was contrived and overly exaggerated. I just have to keep reminding myself that "Brokeback Mountain" won for Director, Adapted Screenplay, and Score... :angry:

I agree, broakback was a much better film.

that crap interpritive dance fire drama stuff in Crash made it seem way too film-school overbearing. yes it had a good message but it wasn't a well executed film with any of the subtlties or skill that makes a good script a great movie. I'm fine with it winning adapted screenplay but the film itself was not a Best Picture at all.

I can't get over the fact that "Crash" won Best Picture. "Brokeback..." was so much more deserving. IMO

I agree, broakback was a much better film.

I totally agree with you 100%, I just went in to the Oscars thread and got fairly bad opinions on BBM. I was so incredibly disappointed, this is the best movie of the year and that's it, hands down! In a way I couldn't expect a movie such as BBM to be the "big loser of the night". I suppose that Academy are just a bunch of puritans who wanted to play it safe and Crash was the perfect harbour(cause of the racism message). I suppose is too much asking to give Hollywood's most important award to two " gay cowboys"(I hate that line so much, and some clips about the cow boys weren't funny at all! I rather felt offended and I'm not gay so just imagine how people who are gay indeed felt...). Like I said before, incredibly disappointed.

guy loves a guy but they can't be together. Pretty basic if you ask me.I can think of hundreds of movies with that same basic story.

Really? A love story in an old Wyoming place where most on the people are rather anti-homosexuals and treat them as sub-human beings. A place where no one dared to even mention the word.

Two men who are in love and only get to see themselves every 4 four this not only creates a self drama but hurts everyone around them(wives,children). Who constantly pretend to be something they weren't indeed and living in opression. Plus, not just the story but the excellent performances, music,cinematography and excellent script!

Wooa if there are 100 stories like that then tell me cause I want to see them! 100 movies as heartbreakingly beautiful....that'll be awesome!

100 movies as heartbreakingly beautiful....that'll be awesome!
100 movies about the same basic story - Homosexuals who cannot be together. I never said they were heartbreakingly beautiful because Brokeback WASN'T!

Really? A love story in an old Wyoming place where most on the people are rather anti-homosexuals and treat them as sub-human beings. A place where no one dared to even mention the word.
Re-read what you just typed out. Are you sure you havent heard of any films with that story? What may be unique to it is that it is in an "old Wyoming place ". The fact that they CANT be together is just crap. They COULD if that is what they wanted... why didnt they? You're answer would probably be because they couldnt since they would be the outsiders and everyone would hate them and blah blah... HELLO? No matter where you are in the world the minority group would ALWAYS be treated that way by certain people. Homophobes arent kept in Wyoming. It had absolutely NOTHING that I didn't expect from it (story-wise). As for the death and the heart break... lame attempt to add some drama and I just didnt feel it from Heathe to tell you the truth .. I don't know what it was. With a story like THAT you need to have a HELL of an actor to extract emotion from a movie viewer who has seen this all before.

ShesElectric said:
I mean what was going on that was so complex and interesting? It was a male to male version of the Notebook toned down a LOAD in terms of being interesting. A guy loves a guy but they can't be together. Pretty basic if you ask me.I can think of hundreds of movies with that same basic story.

I think that's the beauty of it. Yes, it's about homosexuals, but at heart it's still a love story about two people.

ShesElectric said:
why do you think it was such a shocker for Crash or even Hustle and Flow to win an award when they were ultimately the best films nominated!

I never said that "Crash" was a bad film but when you have your first line going "I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something" you're just pleading the viewer to feel something- to be moved. I find it unfortunate that the Academy awarded the "Crash" for the message and not the actual film.

ShesElectric said:
It was the publicity that I truly think gave brokeback the buzz... they didn't deserve a single award.

Funny, how the buzz started with the most prestigious award there is at the Venice Film Festival (which is BTW, the oldest and considered the most prestigious festival there is).

ShesElectric said:
It was boring boring boring.

That's your opinion. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Calvin Stark
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->