Nina Ricci Pre-Fall 08

^Olivier does have an unusual fascination with Masha...

Non-model related: I really don't like the asymmetrical zippered jackets he always does.

wool blending into nylon
i love this idea
any closeup shots?

i think there are a lot of interesting pieces here ^_^

The wool & nylon blend is so freshly clever.

I find many pieces and overall looks overbearingly dainty, tbqh. I find he is best when he sticks to his Belgian sensibilities, rly. Brash elements soothed by romantic sensitivity. He managed to do this quite well @ Rochas. At Nina Ricci, however, he seems a bit unnerved by the house's p.o.v.

^i think prada did this in the fall 2007 collection
but it is kind of a common idea in creating textiles
i wonder if there are other designers who've used this kind of fabric

Thanks for the info, gius. I will have to pay that Prada collection a visit. Everything before Muiccia's s/s 2008 show is blur, tbh. :lol:

Wow, I cant believe how much i like this. Im surprised, but the colection is so sophisticated but with an artistic edge. Very elegant but not too old and grandma. Just right.

^i think prada did this in the fall 2007 collection
but it is kind of a common idea in creating textiles
i wonder if there are other designers who've used this kind of fabric

Yup, definately. Prada FW07 was similar, but I like this much much more. Prada was a mess.

It's quite breathtaking. Soft and sophisticated. The use of brown is surprising coming from Theyskens, who has a penchant for icy colors. The first few number of looks are reminiscent of Prada when Miuccia was at her peak.

Better than the full-fledged spring collection. That's for sure.

i agree WIW. there are some beautiful pieces but overall the mood of it doesn't feel right.

I was absolutely thrilled with AW 07 when I saw runway photos, but in the store many pieces turned out way too conservative and old and cutesy. I fear with this collection he may be moving even more in that direction too... I miss his cool elegance.

(Im in Belgium now, my love for these guys finally dragged me here...B))

^ Srsly. This Nina Ricci position obviously keeps him financially afloat but it rly muffles the creativity and innovation Olivier is quite capable of. In a sublime world, he'd be designing for his own namesake once again. Nina Ricci is too frou frou for his aesthetic.

It's fine in a sense that it is neither unattractive or horribly executed, but it moves one's heartstrings so very little. I'd rather hate it, to be quite honest, than feel nothing at all... :ninja:

^Olivier does have an unusual fascination with Masha...

Non-model related: I really don't like the asymmetrical zippered jackets he always does.

With eyes like that, how can he not?

i love the furs, but other than that this collection is pretty blah.

I'm still kind of on the fence about it. Some I like, mainly the cool grey/blue twisted flyaway pieces that have already become his house signature, and that royal purple satin coat with the frayed edge over the strange grey dress is gorgeous. But some of this strays into really prissy, as WIW said frou frou territory that I'm not sure I like from him. Some of it is so sweet it hurts, and not in a good way.

I really do love his work for Ricci so far, kind of a beaten up kind of softness, all ragged edged ball gowns and chiffon trimmed tailoring, but this is definitely not what I want to see from him.

I don't like it.

I know that he doesn't need to, or should have to, for that matter, make what he does at Nina Ricci a continuation of what he did at Rochas, but I really am not into what he's done so far at Chez Ricci, except for FW 07 (granted, it's only been 4-5 shows, most of which have been pre collections)...but there is not much here that is appealing to me. Quite a bit looks amateur-ish and lacks all sophistication and subtlety that he had at Rochas. Plus, aside from the colors at the FW 07 show, which were stunning, and the Reese Witherspoon gowns, his other color choices at Nina Ricci have been startlingly garish!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, I love it! Such great modern glamour.
Those fur coats are amazing, and I love the wool/nylon concept as well.

I think the collection is OK, very soft and feminine as always. And I love the colors. But this is also the problem. Too Oliver-ish and I can see a lot of familiar things in this collection. Maybe it's his signature, I still hope he can bring something brand new and more exciting.

some sweet things here but it all looks a bit 'old lady' for me
. . something is a bit off . . maybe too many pastels

or maybe it's the stockings which really age it i think

I love Olivier and I think he's a talented designer but I really don't think he's found the Ricci girl yet...while the clothes are pretty, the brand will never take off unless he's able to establish a strong Ricci image, which he was able to do for Rochas...I hope he can recreate the magic soon, otherwise I don't see him staying with the brand for long

I'm relieved to see he's gradually drifting away from his destroyed, tattered look. It was neat to see the first time, but that particular of a style gets old quickly. Anyway, this is a nice change compared to the other pre-fall collections, but I agree when people say it's more of a spring line than anything. But overall, a strong collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiyahG
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->