Nina Ricci Pre-Fall 07.08 NYC

Thanks, Ida!, I was wondering what Babel had to do with this! :lol:

it looks beautiful!
..the suit and shirt in the last image are highlights of this for me, and obviously the green dress, I'm not even that fan of the colour as I am of the twirling yet sharply straight cut.. must be a dream to wear it. :wub:

style.com said:
A Touch of the Poet
Olivier Theyskens brings modern romance to Nina Ricci

January 16, 2007 – The Rochas ready-to-wear collection was unceremoniously shuttered last summer, but its 30-year-old Belgian designer, Olivier Theyskens, wasted no time landing another high-profile gig and scoring a major red-carpet coup. The morning after dressing a ravishing Reese Witherspoon at the Golden Globes, the new artistic director at Nina Ricci debuted his pre-fall collection in New York. Afterward, he sat down with Style.com's Nicole Phelps to discuss bias cuts, denim, la vie Ricci, and the benefits of not looking back.

Congratulations on Reese Witherspoon's Golden Globes dress. How did it come about?
We met, and Reese fell in love with the fabric and the color. I wanted to create something especially for her. I like her complexion and her hair color; it matches the color of the dress. Reese loves simplicity—she's a really modern girl. She's a Nina Ricci girl.

Who is the Nina Ricci girl?
I'm very inspired by cool girls who mix the ladylike looks we've seen for the last couple of years with some messy touches. There's still a sense of Parisian refinement, but it's more modern, more loose, more cool. It's younger, too.

What's the difference between the Rochas girl and the Nina Ricci girl?
I never think about the difference. I only think about Ricci now. For example, I've become really attached to the L'Air du Temps bottle.

I saw you showing it off earlier. How does the bottle's design play out in the collection?
Many of the clothes have twisting lines. I'm working with fake bias; it's between a bias and a straight cut. It makes the clothes twist around the body in a new way, and it helps me work with asymmetry. I'm less into a very square silhouette and more into a very free, very moving shape.

Why the bright yellows and grays?
There's a contrast in Nina Ricci between this idea of peace and freedom and beauty and a sense of urbanism and the city. I wanted to make these grayish, boyish looks for day, and more colorful, appealing pieces for evening in Ricci yellow. It's the exact yellow that's been used for the packaging of L'Air du Temps since the beginning.

What about fur?
I like gray fox; it's really fresh. And I'm thinking about fur a lot, because it's so hot. I'm really wondering—as it gets warmer, will fur continue? There are flowers right now on the trees in Paris.

Are people in Paris as concerned about global warming as some are in the U.S.?
Everybody's really focused on it. These two years, we've seen it getting warmer. I'm personally extremely concerned about climate and ecology and what as humans we're doing to the environment. I think about it every day.

Speaking of heat, the Oscars are coming up. Is there anyone you'd like to dress?
I won't say.

How is this pre-fall line different from what you'll show in Paris in March?
I'm in the process of designing that still, so I can't say for sure.

Why did you do jeans?
I really wanted to work with denim for Ricci. I've been suffering a little bit from my focus on ladylike looks. Here, I really think denim fits, and I like to work with the details. The stitches on the back pockets and the design on the rivets are inspired by the waves in the perfume bottle. It's an opportunity to figure out what the Ricci elements will be.

What are the Ricci elements?
It's a mix of fragility with sharp cuts.

What are your goals at Nina Ricci?
For me, it's all about pleasing the girls, the cool girls. I really want this to be successful, and also to make something that moves fashion forward. There's not enough focus in life on beauty and aesthetics. It's really positive to be focused on that.
:flower:

"There are flowers right now on the trees in Paris." - Are there? Are there really flowers on the trees in Paris, Olivier? I don't think so - there aren't any at all just winter cherry but that's normal for this time of year. Well, whatever you say as long as you carry on being your dreamy little self I will love you and your designs!

But really, I am excited for his new start at Nina Ricci. Lets hope he brings some of his dark gothic minimalist beauty to the saccharine but sunny girl that is Nina Ricci.

I like it so far but I'm expecting something more for his Fall collection...I like his new direction and I hope he can transform Ricci into his ideal

From what I have seen so far, I am excited! I was so let down after the close of Rochas that it will be refreshing to see Olivier breathe new life into Ricci. I will always regard his work for Rochas as the best...EVER...but as a longtime fan of Nina Ricci, I look forward to seeing his take on the brand. From the few pics available on style.com, I see Ricci as a good fit for his aesthetic. This will be quite a departure from the almost preppy Ricci designs of recent past, but his hallmark minimalist femininity I think will be a nice transition from the former era. :smile:

i love it!
the colors are new, and fresh
the tailoring is perfection (as expected) and the interview just made him my hero!

Grill said:
But really, I am excited for his new start at Nina Ricci. Lets hope he brings some of his dark gothic minimalist beauty to the saccharine but sunny girl that is Nina Ricci.

definately. i get a vague sense of goth in these designs... it's sweet, but there's just something off, which i like.

I really like what I've seen. It's a bit plain, but not to the point that I am bored of it. Its very figure-flattering...lovely!

Oh, Olivier! He never disappoints! This is breathtaking! I initially thought that he'd never be able to recreate the magic there was at Rochas, but I was proven very wrong! Every look is great, from the jeans to the gown. But I love the white minidress and the skirt suit the most! I cannot wait to see F/W!

And so it begins.

When I saw this in WWD this morning I was floored. I want it all. Every bit, every piece. Everything. This is the start of an obsession. Those yellow booties must be mine!

The clothes are commercial, they're very modern cool girl but Oliver takes that theme and let it evolve into something far chicer than many others would do. There is something elegant about these clothes, very downtown but with class and I feel that is something that most designers in this bracket forget about. Women want to look hip and cool but they also want to be elegant and sophisticated. I will always love Rochas and the immaculate vision Oliver crafted for it but this is much more accessible. I look at Rochas and think "this is astounding art", I look at the Nina Ricci pieces and I think "this is gonna sell out in minutes." Ultimately I hope the collection is at a mid point between those two ideals.

This launch is so strategic. Debuting the dress on Reese Witherspoon on her first public foray since the divorce is a smart move. Her image will be everywhere and while she is always well put together she has an approachable vibe as opposed to handing dressed out to cutting edge fashiony actresses like Chloe Sevigny. Who looks good in anything but is rather aloof and not as known to the general public. I feel as though this is an excellent PR move. Perhaps Oliver finally has a team behind him that can match his talent with business savvy.

Last edited by a moderator:
you got it LUXX!!!...:flower:...

Brilliant with a capital B...:heart:...
and olivier doesn't miss a beat...

it is refreshing to see this sort of thing happen...
too often great talent laguishes in the wings...
this time..the stars were aligned...

go baby go...
the fashion world is in your corner olivier...
we are at your feet monsieur...

:heart:

oh wow i love it all..these clothes just speak to me :smile:blush: as in..i know instantly this is my style)
i love the masculinity combined with the chic and casual-ness of all the daywear
just beautiful :wub:my favourite looks posted from style.com are #2, #4, #5 and #7

Last edited by a moderator:
From fashionweekdaily.com

From Rochas to Ricci
Theyskens' first pre-fall collection

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

NEW YORK) As a prelude to the fall collection he will show in March during Paris Fashion Week, Olivier Theyskens’ intimate presentation of his first pre-fall designs for Nina Ricci Tuesday echoed not only the elements that made him a dynamic and revered Rochas designer, but also cast a new light forward for the storied French fashion house which he currently helms.

“I kept thinking about who this classic Ricci girl is,” Theyskens said immediately following the show, which took place at the Nina Ricci headquarters here and boasted attendees like Tory Burch, Gigi Mortimer, Tim and Helen Schifter, and Marjorie Gubelmann Raein. Incorporating such elements as “twisted effect,” “contrasting tones,” and “seams turned around,” Theyskens offered 31 looks that were heavily skewed toward daywear but that still managed to indulge his black-tie girl. “A lot of these were cut on a half—and even fake—bias,” he said. “I had this idea of contrasting day wear that was grayish and cool but at the same time including colors like chartreuse.”

Inspired by the L’Air du Temps bottle, the result were black cocktail dresses and soothing gowns shown alongside cropped furs, soft grey wool suits and luxe daywear pieces like cardigans, blouses, and the basic gray tank. There were no hints of Theyskens’ predecessor, Lars Nilsson; it was the Belgian designer through and through—which his following from Rochas will appreciate—and the smashing results were a complete wardrobe for the versatile Ricci girl. Even denim was thrown into the mix, detailed with strips of fabric dyed to match that wrapped around the leg.

“It was important to be precise,” he reminded. And it showed.

Attachments

• picsrv2.fashionweekdaily.jpg
    picsrv2.fashionweekdaily.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 29
  • picsrv.fashionweekdaily.jpg
    picsrv.fashionweekdaily.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 33
it's nice to see him loosen up a bit and get 'real'...no?...
:P

I'm very content with this collection (infact it took my breath away).

I agree softie on the loosening up and getting real and totally agree with what you posted luxx esp. regarding Reese. Those who think that she is too girly - Ricci IS a girly house. If you look at any of their archives or past collections it's very very feminine and as luxx said, it's great to see theyskens designs on someone who appears to be very approachable. It makes the clothing more accessible which Rochas really wasn't. I know people are in love with his 'romantic goth' and thats fine but it's nice to see that interpreted in a newer way and thus far I am loving this a lot more than rochas simply because i can see myself in it and it looks COMFORTABLE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiyahG
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->