Old English: Trousers, Buttoned Shirts & Leather Belts

thegeneralx

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan/shop for my fall wardrobe. I haven't been shopping for a while and I'm, in fact, TERRIBLE at finding things. What I'm trying to find are:
  • Trousers (tweed, herringbone, black, gray, linen etc.). Not too wide, not too high on the waist (but not low).
  • Buttoned shirts and blouses that look good worn in and lend well to layering and mix-and-matching.
  • A good leather belt for the waist and one to be worn with the trousers (don't worry, not together!)
  • Good walking flats, maybe some high leather boots.
  • Vests? Accesories that go well with these things?
  • A warm trenchcoat.
My twin sister usually goes shopping with me, but lately I end up buying more for HER than for me and I REALLY need some clothes for fall. Any help in the form of pictures, links to online stores, mentions of clothes in stores etc. would be VERY much appreciated.

I'm not on budget (student) so I don't want to spend TOO much, but to give you an idea of my price range: I still like to buy my Seven's etc. I tend to not like spending as much on shirts ie. less than $75.

This is the sort of thing I've been wanting to wear for a while, but I need help putting it together. Any ideas?

[I'm 5'7" weigh around 115 pounds and wear a size 2 or 4 because I have wider hips (36) but a smaller waist (26-27). My hair is also going to be red, so I'll like green things!]

Well, a couple of years ago I had a GREAT pair of grey herringbone trousers from Banana Republic. Your measurements are the same as mine so they should do well on you too. They don't have the regular winter pants in yet but they do have cotton and lightweight wool trousers.They have trenches as well. I'm assuming you want a basic khaki-colored one...? They have that color in a short, belted trench and have two other, longer, waterproof ones in either black or olive.

Pants: http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/category.do?cid=14487
Trenches: http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/category.do?cid=5021
(I know it seems like I am obsessed with Banana Republic, but I'm really not! I just saw the word 'trouser' and thought of my favorite pants.)

I buy all of my button-down shirts from Gap, which is nice since they aren't expensive. If you want one that is a little bit more fitted (not incredibly so, though), try the Limited. Also, try going to places like TJ Maxx or Marshall's. It takes a while, but last fall I found the most wonderful vest for $7 or so.

I have had trouble finding cute, comfortable flats lately. I have a pair that are black and I wear them all the time; they are by Sam Edelman. I bought them last fall, though (from Parisian). Delman always has beautiful flats, and you can choose from simple, solid colors or some have patterns or beading. I have never owned a pair but everyone I know that has says that they are quite comfortable. I am pretty sure they carry them at Neiman Marcus, if not then try Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, or Saks.

Last edited by a moderator:
head to your nearest charity/vintage/secondhand store. Dont be afraid to look in the mens section. I have found some right bargains in the past by doing this. Dont be afraid to take oversized pieces to a tailor to get them resized if it doesnt quite fit - if you truly like it buy it. Menswear has alot of tweed so you should find something that hits the right spot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->