Opening & Operating a Retail Store / Boutique (Brick & Mortar or On-Line)

^ Thanks for the info. Are you still going to have the online store when you open up the brick and mortar one?

The brands I'm looking into to start with are BB Dakota, Melie Bianco, Love Quotes, Dogeared, a.v max, Charlotte Tarantola, Velvet, LA Made, Splendid and possibly a shoe and denim line. I've only contacted one rep so far though since I haven't yet filed for my licenses/tax id/etc.

Yup I definitely plan on running both!

To be honest I don't think you'd have much of a problem carrying those lines. The only problem you might run into is oversaturization, since some of those brands have been around for awhile they may have put a cap on online shops, so definitely keep your options open. But for the most part I think you'll be able to do it. When you get one line, especially if it's fairly well known, it will help you get a foot in the door with others. I almost didn't get LQ and Lauren Conrad (both have the same rep here on the WC) but they saw some of my other lines and changed their mind.

And it's good to aim for lines that are around the same price points. One line I was denied on was Black Halo (their sales rep is a major snot and a couple of other names that I'll refrain from using) because my price points were $100 lower and apparently my site wasn't "put together" enough, lol.

So make sure to get a good web designer and make your site look as professional as possible as well. That's another thing designers will look at.

Let me know if I can help you w/ anything else! Best of luck!

Thanks so much! I follow your 'Building The Boutique' blog and have found it very helpful!

I eventually want to carry some higher end labels but I figure it's not even worth it to try and get them at the beginning (and not really in my budget). I'd also love to try and get the Lauren Conrad Collection but I have a feeling she might be done with it since there has been no word about a spring line. That sucks about the Black Halo sales rep, that line is on my list of lines I'd like to eventually apply for if all goes well but maybe I'll cross it off! You must be so excited about opening the store, have you run into any problems with not being able to carry any lines in your brick & mortar store that are already being sold in your area?

@kimberwyn it's interesting you started online and are now doing brick&mortar. I think we'll be seeing that more and more since the barriers to starting a store online are lower.. let us know how it goes?

@Nicolerichienews, I was thinking about your situation and had another idea. Are there any local designers who might work with you on consignment? That lowers the cost of inventory, anyway. Just a thought.

@CoutureCouture - I'm SO glad that you found my blog helpful, it's always great to hear that from other aspiring boutique owners :D Yeah Laurens line went into Kohls and I really dont think she'll be doing her boutique line anytime soon but I do hope she tries it again someday. I know the line gets a lot of flack but its still the fastest selling line I've carried, and the pieces were cute and fun.

Im not that bummed about not getting Black Halo now because they're still knocking off the same 4 dresses they've been doing for like 3 years (you know the jackie o, the ruffle dress and that 3 color one...zzZZZzz) and their new styles are awful.

All the lines I already buy from, I haven't told the reps yet that I'm starting a brick and mortar store so no lol. But I think only one of the lines I have is carried here in my town and we buy totally different pieces so it wouldn't be a problem. I actually didn't even have problems picking up a couple of lines for Spring that are already carried in town, surprisingly.

@Anjo - Yeah I didnt have anywhere near enough money to start a brick/mortar so I did online. I'm glad really because I learned a lot w/o a big investment. And still, it's not really a full scale boutique; I'll have a few racks, a table and a case inside of a salon. I'm moving in in about a week and I'll post pics when everything is set up!

Are there any boutique owners here that sell (or have tried to get) Alice+Olivia, Elizabeth & James, Milly, Nanette Lepore, Tibi, or Corey Lynn Calter? How difficult are those labels to get when you're starting out?

kimberwyn can I ask you something else? When going to a trade show for the first time, is it hard to get reps to talk to you if you're a "new business" or are do a lot of them take orders as long as they need them? I hope that makes sense.

so here s my story.

i ve been planning on opening a ''real'' store for 2 yrs now, but the area where i wanted it to be is a very expensive one and since i wasn t gonna take a loan to get the store, i couldn t afford the almost 1M$. anyhow, i just had a baby and that put my idea into hold.
BUT i was thinking i should open an online store this way at least i would ve done something and gotten closer somehow to my first goal.
now question is...Where to Start??

thank u

kimberwyn can I ask you something else? When going to a trade show for the first time, is it hard to get reps to talk to you if you're a "new business" or are do a lot of them take orders as long as they need them? I hope that makes sense.

Sorry I didnt see this! I know what you mean here. It really depends on the brand. The labels you're looking for might be kind of hard to get for an online store, but not necessarily for a brick and mortar store; that will depend on a) your location and b) the other lines in your store. But basically when you go to a show, if you plan on really talking to the reps have as much information as you can. They'll want to know where you're located (even if you're online), what other brands you're carrying (or which ones you want, what price point you have in mind at least) and sometimes they like to see pictures of your store/website.

But like I mentioned, some brands that have been around for a while might be closed for distribution online. It's getting tough online right now because there aren't any "hot" and new labels that are getting a lot of press like when Gypsy 05, Lauren Conrad, Love Quotes, LNA and all of those lines came out a few years ago.

so here s my story.

i ve been planning on opening a ''real'' store for 2 yrs now, but the area where i wanted it to be is a very expensive one and since i wasn t gonna take a loan to get the store, i couldn t afford the almost 1M$. anyhow, i just had a baby and that put my idea into hold.
BUT i was thinking i should open an online store this way at least i would ve done something and gotten closer somehow to my first goal.
now question is...Where to Start??

thank u

1. Get a business license, dba, wholesalers license, all your paper work
2. Make a business plan and budget
3. Go to trade shows and talk to reps and start getting an idea of what lines you want/will be able to carry

Online Fashion Business Funding

I am looking to start an online fashion business selling womens clothing, shoes, accessories and lifestyle products by established and up and coming high end designers. I am now looking for funding to get this venture off the ground.

I have written the business plan and have 3 years worth of projections but finding the funding is the hardest part. I am looking for Private equity or Angel investment. I am based in the UK but will be concentrating on a global consumer. The website would be along the lines of Net a Porter and My Wardrobe.

Does anyone know of any companies or individuals I could approach or have any advice. Any help would be appreciated.

I am too old. You need to be under 30 years, I am 34. Thanks RocknNeedle

Also, there is a several months lead time when you place your order, esp higher end lines. Therefore, when you find a place, you need to factor that in before you sign the lease. You don't want an empty store. :lol:

Good luck!

Hi! I've read the whole thread and it's been very helpful!

I'd love some more details on the above note...

how long does it take for an order to be sent out and how long in advance an order must be placed until delivery time?

for example,if a boutiqure is new, and has missed the time when the winter orders are normallybeing placed, can it still place it and expect to receive it within, let's say, a month?

Does this vary from designer to designer?

Thanks for the help!:flower:

I've been an avid vintage collector for years now and I would like to start up an online shop (something simple like Ebay or Etsy). My dream would be to open up an actual store but most vintage stores are shutting down do to the high cost vs. online shops.

My question is, does anyone make a living off of Etsy or Ebay?

How hard is it to get your first label/brand? Every rep I contact asks for a list of the brands I'm carrying, but I haven't found my first one. Will a list of brands I want to carry work or do they want to know that I've actually ordered things before? I'm doing an online store and want to be open sometime this summer.

^It depends on what brand(s) you're going after. Brands are picky about who they associate with and the quality of your store; if you're online they're especially picky, and sometimes it's tough if you don't have a site designed to show them. And also if it's a more popular brand it might be closed for online distribution.

I would just be honest and tell them your store isn't open yet and you're just starting buying, and then explain what type of brands you're looking for and labels you're planning to buy from. It's also a little late to buy for Summer, unless you're planning on doing immediates.

^ I'm planning to launch the online boutique in summer but with fall merchandise. Reps also want to see the site but I'm a bit confused as to why they'd want to see it before there is anything for sale? Just to see how professional and customer friendly the layout is? How soon before/after you placed your first order of merchandise did you design your site?

^Yup, they want to see the quality of the site, because they don't want to associate their lines with shops that arent up to their "Standards" (exact words I heard from the snotty Black Halo rep who rejected my shop *rolls eyes*).

I did my buying in August and October or November (whichever month that market is in) and I didnt design my site until around the time I launched, which was in May. I luckily got in good with a well known label that is a bit more lenient (and one other, which wasnt known at the time) and then when I went back to market a few months later I was able to tell the reps who I bought from and they made an exception for me. But I always tell new boutique owners, if you dont have a site up at least put up a really nicely designed coming soon page with your logo up, and some matching business cards, so at least you'll have something to show them.

^ A detailed business plan can also help you in the beginning...
This will show the brands you aim at (and to them with whom they will be associated as mentioned above), the positioning of your store, as well as your strategy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->