Opening & Operating a Retail Store / Boutique (Brick & Mortar or On-Line)

in opening a boutique or store what are some of the most important things to do/know? if you were to give lets say just 5 things what would u recommend doing in order to be successful in your first year?

1. Make sure you have at least 6 months worth of savings to pay major expenses, rent, phone,electric,...
2. Have a good customer mailing list to send out 20% off cards, info about upcoming events ...
3. Know enough about how to run a business, accounting, finances
4. Get creative with displays, incentive programs, events, do have trunk shows and fashion shows, major thing is to brand your name...do surveys to know what your customers are looking for, always ask alot of questions, KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER
5. take credit cards, this is a major way people pay for items, I take all of them...don't work about the percentage the credit card companies take you will make this back..people love convience.
6..Sorry I had to add one more...Location, location, location..
Oh and a website is always helpful...
I know this is more than five but I hope it is helpful

^^ how much money did you need to start? and did you do it on your own or with a partner?

BellaDawn beautiful site...love ur stuff...
How much was ur total capital for your boutique? was it costly?
How many brands did u start with ?
For all you boutique owners, i would be interested in knowing what type of brands u carry and how many brands u carry..and most importantly how much it costed u?
All the best.
Thank u :flower:

tricotineacetat said:
We currently focus on selling Y´s Yohji Yamamoto, Rochas, Bruno Pieters, Nicolas Andreas Taralis, Stephan Schneider and Anne Valérie Hash for women and Dior Homme, Martin Margiela, Stephan Schneider, Kris Van Assche and Raf by Raf Simons for men... it´s then rounded up with brands like Acne Jeans, Nudie Jeans, A.P.C., Schiesser (German company with extremely high quality jerseys) and assorted footwear/accessories to allow a less strictly runway-based styling with the designers... arguably, they also allow ourselves a faster cashflow, since the prices are remarkably lower than, say, a top from Rochas or Dior.

Are you able to sell the lesser known designers?

I'm asking because there's a boutique in Copenhagen, and i spoke to the buyer, she told me that they stopped carrying Undercover because it just didn't sell, because no one actually knew what Undercover were..

Hello all, I'm fairly new to tfs, I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm very interested in this topic. I'm in the midwest with no fashion at all, seriously, except for 1 poorly stocked saks, but I believe there is a market here, especially for fabulous accessories. Are there any areas that some brands like, chloe, balenciaga, y-3, ysl, etc can't or won't send stock to? thanks

Dulcisima said:
BellaDawn beautiful site...love ur stuff...
How much was ur total capital for your boutique? was it costly?
How many brands did u start with ?
For all you boutique owners, i would be interested in knowing what type of brands u carry and how many brands u carry..and most importantly how much it costed u?
All the best.
Thank u :flower:
Thank yo sooo much...
It was pretty costly for me I had to take out a loan over $50,000
I started with about 10 up and coming designers...luckily I live close to the city so I was able to go to alot of showrooms and trade shows to find good lines to selll

Bella Dawn.
I would really like to be in contact with you over the next few months. I am really interested and would like to be able to ask you questions here and there. IS that okay.?

What was the first thing you did?
How did you approach the designers?
Did you write a buisness plan?
:P

I have another question..How did you set up your accounting system? what was the most costly thing you had to pay for? is the first couple of months negative profit or neutral or profit making?

belladawn, so kind of you to share this information, appreciate it! your website is LOVELY :smile:

Claudette said:
Bella Dawn.
I would really like to be in contact with you over the next few months. I am really interested and would like to be able to ask you questions here and there. IS that okay.?

What was the first thing you did?
How did you approach the designers?
Did you write a buisness plan?
:P
That is no problem..I would love to help...
I did (do) have a business plan, it took sometime to write it up and really get the information accurate. To get started I first created a business name and registered for my tax id # this is very important most companys will ask for this or in other states like cali they want a resale # once I had this number I planned a small party at my house( my parents house in the dinning room!) I had about $3,000(wholesale) worth of product just to get my self started...when people arrived (family friends) I had them all fill out a small survey,what they like, how much they would be willing to spend, what location would be convience for an actual store..this really helped me I basically broke even but it got me to know a few designers and help build a small customer base. So that was the first thing I did...I basically contacted the designers with an e-mail stating I was a new business, my customers were trendy women in thier 20's that would love to have their product available to purchase at my store... they pretty much all e-mailed me back telling me thier minimums etc...

Dulcisima said:
I have another question..How did you set up your accounting system? what was the most costly thing you had to pay for? is the first couple of months negative profit or neutral or profit making?
Actually the first year is pretty much negative..because the money you make you are putting back into the company to keep it running...I basically do most of my accounting maually I have quick books but I have yet to really get it working for me..I hired an accounting to do my end of the year books...The most costly thing is the merchandise you need to have enough and you are constantly buying to keep the store looking fresh and new...

Last edited by a moderator:
belladawn, may I ask what your genera profession was before opening your boutique?

belladawn said:
Thank yo sooo much...
It was pretty costly for me I had to take out a loan over $50,000
I started with about 10 up and coming designers...luckily I live close to the city so I was able to go to alot of showrooms and trade shows to find good lines to selll

how much money all together though? including rent, inventory etc. must have been over 100,000?

kellylove said:
. Are there any areas that some brands like, chloe, balenciaga, y-3, ysl, etc can't or won't send stock to? thanks

i wouldnt think so..
as far as they dont have a contract with someone else and one can pay 'cash' for the order i wouldnt think they'd object to sell anywhere

kellylove said:
belladawn, may I ask what your genera profession was before opening your boutique?
I worked at nordstrom part time and was an office manager

CHADiLer said:
how much money all together though? including rent, inventory etc. must have been over 100,000?

All together the start up cost was about 65,000 my rent is very good only 1200 a month which has really made my business last...

thanks so much belladawn and Lena for the replies, much appreiciated. The prospect seems very doable to me know and not so scary :smile:

glad to hear you are optimistic about your project kellylove.. dont give up :flower:

kellylove said:
thanks so much belladawn and Lena for the replies, much appreiciated. The prospect seems very doable to me know and not so scary :smile:
no problem...I love help especially when it involves fashion!:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->