Attachments

• tumblr_mjp4lpzq481rgh7qho1_r1_500.png
    tumblr_mjp4lpzq481rgh7qho1_r1_500.png
    191 KB · Views: 18
J.W. Anderson Fall 2013 vs. Comme des Garçons Spring 2011

_ARC1601.320x480.JPG
00360m.jpg

style

I thought they were both from Fall 2013 for a quick second, THAT is just sad.

Geez.. I don't even find that black accent fashionable and necessary.

Of course, they're not identical, but still
Miu Miu F/W 06.07 vs. Christian Dior S/S 13

vogue.ru, style

Last edited by a moderator:
Kris Van Assche Spring 2011 / Louis Vuitton Fall 2011

1dd70c16-df3f-411b-ac2f-49b0f8faba4c_zpse85af0b7.jpg
240dc763-7f5a-48fb-9470-d9e313df2a8a_zpsc665d811.jpg

I like the Louis Vuitton better because it's more flattering and on Simon ^_^

style.com

J.W. Anderson Fall 2013 vs. Comme des Garçons Spring 2011

***DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES***

style

Oh my.......ok, so now i can say that the whole collection form JW.Anderson is a rip off...

I love you Phoebe... I really do! ... and I feel really bad doing this.. but... :cry:

Lee Miller 1930...
33tpbpd.jpg

Céline 2012
w2eyl1.jpg

Style.com and christies.com

Another literal copy.
Everyone is usually calling out Wang and MJ, so it's quite surprising to see Philo as another copying designer :/

For some reason, those two Celine copies don't bother me.

Most designers pull from vintage. They'll do inspiration shopping trips, library and museum visits, etc. It's extremely common. Sometimes only details and ideas are lifted from all the research - sometimes things are literally copied.

When someone like Marc Jacobs or Phoebe Philo makes direct copies like this, it always feels like even though it's a literal replication they're somehow recontextualizing the piece and making into something that looks and feels like their work. They have strong enough voices/points of view that are unique and individual. Also - it's not like the entire collection was a copy. It's one look/one piece. I don't feel like these examples reflect negatively on their creativity. Some of the greatest songs in history have used samples from other songs. They've directly taken one particular loop or chorus from another song and integrated it into an entirely new creation. Think of it like that.

It feels different for me when someone like Joseph Altuzarra copies. Because while there usually isn't any direct copying going on of any one particular item of clothing, the whole idea of the collection and the look of the collection and the styling of the collection tends to always be lifted from someone else's past collection. It's almost as if he wishes he had created those older collections himself because he loves them so much and so he sort of remakes it (think of his Fall/Winter 2010 that was essentially a remake of the entire Gucci Fall/Winter 2003 collection). He, to me, has no clear voice as a designer and I find his version of copying far more offensive.

For some reason, those two Celine copies don't bother me.

Most designers pull from vintage. They'll do inspiration shopping trips, library and museum visits, etc. It's extremely common. Sometimes only details and ideas are lifted from all the research - sometimes things are literally copied.

When someone like Marc Jacobs or Phoebe Philo makes direct copies like this, it always feels like even though it's a literal replication they're somehow recontextualizing the piece and making into something that looks and feels like their work. They have strong enough voices/points of view that are unique and individual. Also - it's not like the entire collection was a copy. It's one look/one piece. I don't feel like these examples reflect negatively on their creativity. Some of the greatest songs in history have used samples from other songs. They've directly taken one particular loop or chorus from another song and integrated it into an entirely new creation. Think of it like that.

It feels different for me when someone like Joseph Altuzarra copies. Because while there usually isn't any direct copying going on of any one particular item of clothing, the whole idea of the collection and the look of the collection and the styling of the collection tends to always be lifted from someone else's past collection. It's almost as if he wishes he had created those older collections himself because he loves them so much and so he sort of remakes it (think of his Fall/Winter 2010 that was essentially a remake of the entire Gucci Fall/Winter 2003 collection). He, to me, has no clear voice as a designer and I find his version of copying far more offensive.

I see your perspective, but at the same time, this is a prime example of how selectively biased people can be when it comes to certain designers. It's ok for some designers to blatantly copy others without being ever called out, in this case even justified, while others get slaughtered for displaying similar designs shown by others.

Copying is copying. It happens. But why do some designers get special treatments? I suppose some designers have a cult following that are willing to turn a blind eye and hold them up on a pedestal and claim they "can do no wrong".

I've never understood the Phoebe Philo/Celine phenomenon and always find it to be way overhyped, anyway.

I don't find the Geoffrey Beene and Céline outfits to be copies of one another.

For one, isn't the Beene coat just a *picture* of a coat with its sleeves tied --as in, the coat cannot be worn that way. I don't see separate holes for the arms. One has to untie the sleeves to put it on.

Philo may have been inspired by it, yes, but she took it to a new aesthetic; the Céline coat can be worn with the sleeves tied or untied. She elevated the piece. I think it is okay to recognize her inspiration, but, also, to applaud her for her creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->