Party looks on a budget

Reaction score
Am on a really tight budget at the moment as I'm just setting up my own business, which is amazing in that it gives me creative freedom over my work, but it also means I am pretty broke at the moment.

There are A LOT of parties coming up in November and December (some of them black tie, some more house party style things) and I'm looking for inexpensive ways to update my look.

Is any one else in this position? Has anyone got any ideas? What party staples are really worth spending money on? I would be willing to splash out a little bit on 'the perfect black dress' if anyone can recommend one, but otherwise I want to create a look as inexpensively as possible.

Any one with any ideas, please help!

Lots of different accessories - different scarves, belts, bags, jewellery can completely alter the look of one dress/outfit. You don't need to spend a lot as Accessorise, New Look, Primark etc. have lots to choose from if you are on a tight budget. Just use your imagination as how to style your outfit for the occasion.

I mostly buy simple dresses which I jazz up with different accessories. I'm willing to splash out on key pieces like lbd/lwd/lrd because they can last forever and you can style them differently for each day of the week! For jewellery I usually just go to New Look/Primark etc

One of the downsides to Edinburgh when you're on a small budget is no primark! Will it ever open?! :lol: Having said that it isn't a bad thing,there are some cracking charity shops.

Accessories definetly make an outfit. As do shoes,a brightly coloured pair of shoes goes brilliantly with a black dress. As everyone has said so far,New Look should see you sorted for cheap and cheerful shoes.

Thanks. I'm going to definitely have a rummage through charity shops this weekend, as well as heading into accesorize and new look to look for scarfs, earrings, hairclips, pattern tights etcetera. It's going to be so hard to walk past Jenners without being sucked in but I will manage it. I have some beautiful parisian wine coloured suede (top bit perfectly preserved) shoes which belonged to my Mother at my age but they need reheeling, so I might see how much that would cost.

I got inspired by one of my friends the other day who was making scarfs from the off cuts box at edinburgh fabrics, so might go there as well.

I know...having no Primark makes it difficult as primark is amazing for budget buys.

I am a thrifter from way back. It constantly surprises me the amazing things you can find if you're willing to go often, take your time, try everything on, and have a little creativity. It might be dirty and tedious, but it's completely worth it.

I recently found a champagne-coloured lace 1940s dress with a dusty pink lining and black beading around the sleeves and collar. For $3. And black t-bar heels for $4 to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rachelmartini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->