Phoebe Philo - Designer

I am still wondering where is the luxury here (apart from the prices)...because not even the packaging seems luxurious to me.
The 8000 euros bag looks like in a few months it will be torn (specially in the handles). And the leather jacket looks nothing out of the ordinary.

Maybe the luxury here is so quiet, that can´t be seen or heard. "Invisible luxury" perhaps?? :ninjas:

i'm not sure if i would be happy to receive that leather jacket in such a creased condition with fold lines etc. i'm usually a huge supporter of phoebe but something about the end results leaves me wanting. still feel her products will fare better in an actual store. i want this URL to be IRL.

i'm not sure if i would be happy to receive that leather jacket in such a creased condition with fold lines etc. i'm usually a huge supporter of phoebe but something about the end results leaves me wanting. still feel her products will fare better in an actual store. i want this URL to be IRL.
I was just thinking about the creased leather jacket and scarf. Should you really be expected to go the trouble of steaming the leather (or paying someone to steam it for you) after paying the exorbitant price so it becomes wearable? Isn't there a way to package and store it so it doesn't have those horrible factory folds?

The jacket isn't so bad with the creases, the ruching of the elastic hides it a bit and it is pretty voluminous too so some creasing is going to happen unless it is hand delivered, hanging or in a full scale box with extra room, with padded arm inserts and shoulders. The scarf though is bad. They should have rolled it in the box, loosely with a dense tissue paper to prevent it from entirely flattening.

Laying leather out flat when it's rolled is an easy fix to flatten and smooth it (like paper from a roll). Steaming or pressing creases in leather... depending on how it is treated, can go bad very quickly.

The pics of the clothes had the creases. I think thats part of the look shes going for. A sort of Shein fresh out the pack look. Its pretty humorous to me. Like when she had Celine Paris Made In Italy on the OG Celine bags.

Last edited:
Rich people pay 12K bills for a gold-foiled steak or 100K for a week eating raw carrots in some cleanse spiritual ritual, or 10K in bottles of champagne just to throw it to a bunch of idi*ts who celebrate that waste. Phoebe is just following that path. Starting with that criminal logo which has a "I don't give a f*ck about any of this" vibe. Ugh.

Karen Elson could wrap herself in her room curtains; and she would make them look like Haute Couture.

^^
I might pass on that second delivery except maybe for some sunglasses…
I’m satisfied by my Phoebe Philo Edit A1 experience…

I think that the people who are complaining about the clothes and everything weren’t Celine customers in the first place. Either they bought into the Philo hype when she left Celine or they were introduced to her work through The Row, Proenza Schouler and all the brands born or who picked from her aesthetic.

After all, Celine started to have an e-shop only the last year of her tenure. So her clothes were less out there..

In terms of quality and sizing, it’s super coherent to her work for Celine. In a way, the complete rebrand of Hedi allowed her to have a kind of template for her brand.

^^ Phoebe's Celine era felt even more accessible than the the tenure under Hedi, even though I see billboards and can shop online now. The customer was much more vocal and it was nonstop (relatively free) press about the brand. Even after she's left, all I hear about and see on resale websites/IG/copycats is Phoebe.

Personally, I guess that's why the new namesake brand felt boring. While I understand the continuity, I had assumed that having some time off and her name attached to it would result in iteration rather than repetition. The pricing also seems a bit crazy.

I say all of this as a Phoebe fan who has since gotten tired of the archival obsession. I probably would have purchased if there was something *new* and the pricing was more competitive.

It's 9PM CET where the hell is this new drop?!
I hoped that her first launch –at 11 AM EST– established a regular shopping time for each new drop.

So many items sold out last time in the first 20 minutes. If you happen to be occupied or in a meeting, then there's no chance for you. Given that the ultimate luxury in life is time, it's greatly inconsiderate to make her client sit around refreshing a website all day when we could all block off our calendar for a known 30 minutes to take in the collection and decorate the manufactured shopping frenzy with a wisp of luxury.

^^ Phoebe's Celine era felt even more accessible than the the tenure under Hedi, even though I see billboards and can shop online now. The customer was much more vocal and it was nonstop (relatively free) press about the brand. Even after she's left, all I hear about and see on resale websites/IG/copycats is Phoebe.

I don't know that I agree that Celine was "more accessible" under Phoebe than it is now under Hedi. Sure, there was the crazy success of the accessories, what with the insane ubiquity of the "Luggage" bag. But at the same time...Celine under Phoebe had no social media. They didn't do e-commerce for the clothes. And despite Kanye the shout out from Kanye early on, the brand's relationship with celebrities overall remained very unique; using Joan Didion and Marisa Tomei for ad campaigns is much different than the constant courting of K-pop stars and Hollywood it-girls that Hedi has likely been pushed to do by LVMH execs. And I may be wrong, but I don't recall Phoebe ever attending the Met Gala or Celine dressing someone during her era.

To be clear I write all of this out of admiration for Phoebe, and how she was able to make Celine so successful and influential, while maintaining so much discretion and rigorous control. I think under Hedi's reign it's perhaps become more well-known, but again I think that's largely due to LVMH directives to churn out the logos and really pump up the celebrity factor. Funny to think back a decade ago when Hedi had the lead singer of indie band DIIV leading a Saint Laurent menswear campaign...to now having members of Blackpink and BTS as "ambassadors" for his brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theseaswell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->