Podcasts/podcasting

.francesca

about to fall or fly
Reaction score
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast:

Podcasting is a method of publishing audio broadcasts via the Internet, allowing users to subscribe to a feed of new files (usually MP3s). It became popular in late 2004, largely due to automatic downloading of audio onto portable players or personal computers. Podcasting is distinct from other types of online media delivery because of its subscription model, which uses a feed (such as RSS or Atom) to deliver an enclosed file. Podcasting enables independent producers to create self-published, syndicated "radio shows," and gives broadcast radio programs a new distribution method. Listeners may subscribe to feeds using "podcatching" software (a type of aggregator), which periodically checks for and downloads new content automatically. Some podcatching software is also able to synchronise (copy) podcasts to portable music players. Any digital audio player or computer with audio-playing software can play podcasts. By 2005 some aggregators could play video as well as audio. With increasingly robust personal digital devices, such as Sony's PSP, podcasting is likely to continue to evolve.

"Podcasting" is a portmanteau word that combines the words "broadcasting" and "iPod." The term can be misleading since neither podcasting nor listening to podcasts requires an iPod or any portable music player. A little-used alternate is "blogcasting", although this usually only refers to recordings that are based on, or similar in format to, blogs.

some podcasts that i'm involved with, from http://www.podcast.ckdu.ca/:

popped culture
this show is (super) rad

some podcasts that i like, from http://podcast.wfmu.org/:

aircheck
antique phonograph music program

from http://www.democracynow.org/podcast_help.shtml#feeds:

democracy now

is anyone else podcasting or subscribing to any podcasts?

:heart:

i tried to get into this whole podcast thing
after a frnd was telling me abt this hilarious 'phone tap' one or smthn :lol:
but i could never figure it out ?!
i suck at technology.
do you just download it right ? like an episode & then play it back when you want to listen ? :magic:

Yup, you just subscribe to whatever podcasts you want via iTunes and then it automatically downloads episodes whenever there are new ones available and you can update your iPod. I am a podcast addict. It really kills the time on my long commute to work.

susie, what podcasts do you subscribe to?

chanel if you use itunes you can subscribe to them via their respective websites (i put the ones i like in my post) and they'll automatically update when there are new ones. keep in mind that an actual human being has to update their specific show to be podcast, so say a show is on tuesday nights, if the host (or whomever) doesn't update the file, it won't automatically update your podcast. i usually get to my tuesday podcast late tuesday night or early wednesday. this week, though, i did it this morning! :ninja:

it's a really awesome way to hear what's going on with radio around the world. the stuff from WFMU in new york/new jersey is amazing.

Cinecast, the Chris Moyles show, Britpod and some other BBC radio podcasts.

^ do you mind posting the links? i was hoping to get some sort of podcast database going so that interested parties could check them out.

:flower:

thanks!

ok. i get you !
but when you subscribe do you do it through itunes / the speciic podcast site ?
:lol:

iTunes lets you type in the specific website or you can just use their own Podcast directory.

k. so i just realised the new itunes has a podcast thing :ninja:
& im downloading britpod ? :lol:
& where can you type in the site . . . ?
:flower: cheers my dears !

To be honest I think it takes too much time to listen to people telling about their life in a podcast. I prefer just reading about it instead of listening to something for tons of minutes because you never know when it becomes funny or interesting :lol: I like to just scroll through text.

ohgod. i see how this could make for v.dull listening :ninja:
'a pod cast about nothing' - tht really had me entertained :mellow: !

Listen to their archive. They really are hilarious!
Depends on what you wanna listen to. I tend to use podcast for keeping up with radio shows that I don't have time to listen live or finding new music.
I like trying new ones out. See what tickles your fancy chanel!

it definitely brings a new dimension into audio . . listening to ordinary ppl's opinions & perspective ! instead of just radio !
i know i tried to download 'best of chris moyles' but it was giving me errors
so i gave up :innocent:
just found a decent one. upthetree.com :lol: !

Last edited by a moderator:
i totally know what you mean, brotha...a lot of podcasts are really just people in their rooms, essentially reading aloud from their livejournal, but the ones i listen to are really interesting music shows and news shows...and susie's right...you can just find a bunch to listen too..it's free to download them, and they download fairly quickly..it's easy to just go through them to find a few you like.

my show is music, popped culture is a half-hour of pop culture reporting (issues like DIY, bikes, art, film, etc). podcasting makes me happy because i can keep up with shows i like from california but can't listen to as often anymore!

Thanks francesca, I think I listened to the wrong ones before. I'll definitely give yours a go! :smile:

i just subscribed to the style.com video podcast ^_^ it's really worth checking out !

^^ I agree, I love all the fashion podcasts on iTunes. I also listen to Movies You Should See, Stuck in the 80s, and lots of different radio station podcasts for the interviews with bands/artists.

I'm subscribed to the Ricky Gervais podcast and the Russell Brand podcast.
Ricky's finished fairly recently, but there is 3 free to download on the guardian website at the moment.

The Russell Brand one is really good though, and Noel Gallagher is on there quite alot.

Oh, and I just looked at the style.com podcast - it's definately worth checking out :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->