Post a Totally Random Moment From Fashion History...

I have a grievance about designers hawking unconventional attractiveness and dating the most conventionally beautiful people. Raf is another example. Like commit to the bit, please!!
because it's only the tip of the iceberg of a whole psychological s*it show happening with some men: felt ugly since forever, relates, celebrates and defends all things unconventional/quicky/'ugly'/'weird' as a result (and will openly call you out if you criticise them) and makes underdog a part of his brand... but, back in real life, the social status (especially in the fashion industry) of dating younger + a model is too high up in the chain, it validates him in front of other men, and socially it makes him less 'ugly' too so..

When Jean-Michel Basquiat walked a Comme des Garçons HOMME Plus show, in 1987 I think? or 1988?

Grace Mirabella found out she was fired and replaced by Anna Wintour by watching the news on TV
Marc Bohan found out he was fired by Bernard Arnault in the press…
Galliano dressing Foxy Brown for the opening of the CD New York store.
*side note* I hated that he cited Lauryn Hill as his source of inspo for SS 2000, instead of someone like Foxy or Lil Kim, for many reasons.

TMOL was the biggest album of 1999. And clearly Lauryn walking in denim looks in EIE inspired the first segment of the collection…

However, he dressed Foxy for the album
That followed this performance, right?

because it's only the tip of the iceberg of a whole psychological s*it show happening with some men: felt ugly since forever, relates, celebrates and defends all things unconventional/quicky/'ugly'/'weird' as a result (and will openly call you out if you criticise them) and makes underdog a part of his brand... but, back in real life, the social status (especially in the fashion industry) of dating younger + a model is too high up in the chain, it validates him in front of other men, and socially it makes him less 'ugly' too so..
This kind of thing is very endemic to fashion and beauty-oriented industries. It's a vice like every other. Live by beauty, die by beauty.

TMOL was the biggest album of 1999. And clearly Lauryn walking in denim looks in EIE inspired the first segment of the collection…

However, he dressed Foxy for the album
That followed this performance, right?
Besides the faux locs, denim, and soundtrack, there was nothing “Lauryn Hill” about that collection at all imo. I always read that statement a digestible way of saying “I’m appropriating hip-hop/black culture.” Not to take away from Hill or Galliano, but she was much more palatable reference than other female rappers at the time. That’s why I like that he eventually embraced Foxy.

Ok but in 1999 LH was the only rapper doing numbers like a popstar. I think she still is. foxy brown was like obscure and hard to learn about. I lived at tower records at this era in my life and it was like impossible to find any Inga content. I think this lack of distro is why her career never took off despite having a lot of good will. By the time she got full backing we had moved onto Britney and Missy. Mia X was better distributed at this time. Kylie Minogue had superior distribution and she wasnt even released in the US at the time.

Ok but in 1999 LH was the only rapper doing numbers like a popstar. I think she still is. foxy brown was like obscure and hard to learn about. I lived at tower records at this era in my life and it was like impossible to find any Inga content. I think this lack of distro is why her career never took off despite having a lot of good will. By the time she got full backing we had moved onto Britney and Missy. Mia X was better distributed at this time. Kylie Minogue had superior distribution and she wasnt even released in the US at the time.
Foxy may have been confined to an “urban” audience, but she was not obscure in 2000. Neither was Kim. I actually think Ill Na Na went platinum in the late-90s. But, of course she wasn’t going to reach pop-level success with an album essentially titled “Great P***y.” Lauryn Hill was the direct opposite of that, aiding in her mainstream success.

RIP Mia X 🙏🏾

Besides the faux locs, denim, and soundtrack, there was nothing “Lauryn Hill” about that collection at all imo. I always read that statement a digestible way of saying “I’m appropriating hip-hop/black culture.” Not to take away from Hill or Galliano, but she was much more palatable reference than other female rappers at the time. That’s why I like that he eventually embraced Foxy.
Lol the story-telling of John. And you forgot his faux locs. Everytime I look at this collection, I think about how we have come a long way…
It’s great that he embraced her but it was also an interesting era for HipHop Black American artists. Every brand had their R&B singer or Rapper but I have always wonder why those artists never nurtured those relationships, that were based at first in mutual admiration. Nicolas embraced Kelis, Karl embraced Monica and later Eve, for John it was Foxy, Kim had Donatella but later she actually nurtured a relationship with Marc Jacobs.

When I think about the It Girls era, at some point, we invited actresses who never appeared on films. They were clever in nurturing relationships with designers. When I think about the names I mentioned, at some point they were less present. They could have been part of « friends of the house » but never played the fashion game.

Because the perception of those artists is/was literally different in Europe than it is/was in US.

Lol the story-telling of John. And you forgot his faux locs. Everytime I look at this collection, I think about how we have come a long way…
It’s great that he embraced her but it was also an interesting era for HipHop Black American artists. Every brand had their R&B singer or Rapper but I have always wonder why those artists never nurtured those relationships, that were based at first in mutual admiration. Nicolas embraced Kelis, Karl embraced Monica and later Eve, for John it was Foxy, Kim had Donatella but later she actually nurtured a relationship with Marc Jacobs.

When I think about the It Girls era, at some point, we invited actresses who never appeared on films. They were clever in nurturing relationships with designers. When I think about the names I mentioned, at some point they were less present. They could have been part of « friends of the house » but never played the fashion game.

Because the perception of those artists is/was literally different in Europe than it is/was in US.
All of this ❤️❤️❤️ ^^^^

4ACE3B3B-51D1-4DE2-AD50-2097A3CDBCBC.jpeg

Mia X was better distributed at the time because she was with No Limit, which was a huge juggernaut at that time. With Foxy going from Jay-Z to Nas, and then back to Jay-Z, that probably didn't help her career in the slightest.
Foxy may have been confined to an “urban” audience, but she was not obscure in 2000. Neither was Kim. I actually think Ill Na Na went platinum in the late-90s. But, of course she wasn’t going to reach pop-level success with an album essentially titled “Great P***y.” Lauryn Hill was the direct opposite of that, aiding in her mainstream success.

RIP Mia X 🙏🏾
Mia X is still alive. Might you be thinking about Gangsta Boo from Three Six Mafia?

Also, when Vivienne walked for Yohji…not once, but 3 times, if Google images is any indication.
It was his Menswear FW 1998 and she had three looks. BTW, this show can also be considered a "totally random moment from fashion history", because despite being menswear, Yohji had an all-female cast for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wahayoyo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->