Post Your Best Handbag Purchase(s)!

Purr

Reaction score
I thought it would be a great idea to talk about our experiences buying handbags. For some people handbags are... a piece of fabric where you put your things, but I am sure for most of us they're treasures and we all have great "love" stories.

Mine:

- A vintage Speedy 30 for $70!!

I am ashamed to admit I got it from Ebay. Yes, it's authentic :-)

I had a hard time choosing between the 25 and the 30. The 25 is the cutest, in my opinion, but people are crazy about it. I can't believe it, some have huge creases and the zips don't even work yet people are paying hundreds for them. I overwatched a lot of auctions before doing this, and the one that went for the lowest was still over $125 -and the zipper was broken!

In the beginning, I didn't even like the 30. I was not fond of the monogram pattern because it's upside on both sides and cut by the handles. I thought people would believe I was carrying a fake because of this. But after checking with local antique shops in the area, I learnt it is completelly common and that most vintage Speedy 30's don't even have the date code or a LV tag. I was about to buy one from a shop but they cost even more than a new one, and I can't afford that at the moment.

Oh, and I was right -many people belive the 30 is fake, I was emailed by a user on an anti-counterfeit crusade recommending that I cancell my bid because "the speedy does not exist in that size". I mean, thank you for being nice but please do your homework first.

Anyway, the seller said it was in a bad state, and the pictures showed it was indeed used. But $70 is about 50€, over 10 times cheaper than the real thing and so inexpensive that I was willing to take the risk. I was doubtful, though. I thought that for the price of the bag plus shipping and handling fees, I could buy a new pair of trousers. But I don't need any new trousers at the moment, so...

When the auction was about to end, my heart was beating so fast (does anybody else get this or am I crazy?). I kept bidding manually and managed to place my last bid TWO seconds before it was over. I am still wondering how I did it.

3 weeks later, when the postperson ringed my door's bell and told me I had a parcel from the USA, I was about to cry!! I didn't even want to open the parcel. I knew if the bag was in a bad state or fake, I would not fogive myself... so I opened the parcel... really slowly... and saw what was a true gem.

Yes, the handles look (over)used although they have a lovely light honey brown patina. And the inside is dirty. But the outisde is perfect. No scratches, no stains... nothing. The zipper works and the pull-in lock is perfect. I inspected it and truly couldn't see the tarnishing or scuffing the seller was talking about. It looks like the bag was left in a closet for years.

I took it to some antique shops to check authenticy. They all agreed it was a beautiful authentic item. None of them doubted a little. Some even offered a lot of money for it!

Oh, I treat it like a baby. I have other designer bags, but this one is special -I gave him a special place in my closet. I don't take it out if it rains and will not lend it to anybody. I don't even let my friends touch it, although I think they understand.

So that's my long story about my favourite bag, my first Speedy 30.
What's yours? :flower:

edited to correct typos

Originally posted by Purr@Mar 19th, 2004 - 5:27 am

When the auction was about to end, my heart was beating so fast (does anybody else get this or am I crazy?). I kept bidding manually and managed to place my last bid TWO seconds before it was over. I am still wondering how I did it.

Oh! Bless you! You are so sweet. I know how you feel. That was how i felt when i bought my first Gucci bag 3/4 years ago. I walked out the shop, and kept looking at the carrier bag, secretly inside i was screaming with excitementheart:. I wanted to open it right there and then and take a good long look,but felt people walking back and forth might think i was a country bumpkin (no offense to anyone) I waited til i got home. I couldnt stop looking at it. i was in love with my Jackie O:heart:

Anyway i soon got over that excitement, and have bought many more bags since :heart: I totally understand how you felt bidding at Ebay. I really wanted this Vintage Christian Dior travel bag, and was watching and dreaming about this bag for a week! (I know i am sad, but thats cool :rolleyes: )the day finally came and i decided i was going to pay whatever it took to win the auction. The auction was stuck on my silly laptop at the same price for ages, i started wondering if there was something wrong with the bag. Anyway i decided that if i were to ever buy a fake off Ebay, this bag would have to be it. Last minute of auction i placed my bid was outbid with horror, placed a much higher bid, seconds to end tried to place another higher bid than the one already placed. My heart was ready to pop out of my chest, i was sweating like crazy :cry: . Lost by a measly 5.00, Gutted. Anyway i had place several bids on other vintage bags that i had won, didn't ease the pain of losing the one i really wanted though :( . The buyer turned out to be notorious when it came to paying for her won auctions (and has some negative feedback), and therefore hadn't contacted the seller, so i might still end up getting it,if this person carries on the way they are going. :innocent:

Funny how bidding on auctions at Ebay can raise ones temperature and pulse to such high levels :lol:

I got a vintage Fendi satchel ... for like 35 bucks. I love it. The fact that it looks older gives it charm. :heart: :woot:

OriginalGucciGirl:

I can so relate to your story! I have had my heart set on a number of items only to be out bid at the VERY LAST SECOND! I had the racing heart, sweaty palms, etc. And, I was furious when I lost! I'm getting better at the bidding process and have actually won a couple of items.

Some of you might remember my DIOR purchase a few weeks ago. I thought it was fake, but after taking it to DIOR for inspection it is, in fact, the real deal.

However, my favorite bag is one I purchased at a consignement store a couple of weeks ago. It's a grey (silver really) LV vernis Thompson Street bag. It retails for about $800, but I got it for $550 and it is in MINT condition. It looks like it's NEVER been used!

Uhm I guess a handbag for a girl is a wallet to a guy ehh? :D

Well mine wasn't really a purchase it was a gift, an excellent suprising gift. My mom boyfriend got me a Louis Vuitton brown monogram wallet on New Years. My mouth literary drop because I was suprised and all. And similar to Guccigirl I wanted to scream with delightment right than and there. Of course we were at dinner so I excused myself and scream with excitement in the bathroom. The look I got when I left the stall wasn't so friendly but I didnt care I lusted for anything LV way before it was popular so yes thats my special story.

Originally posted by Toxiiic@Mar 20th, 2004 - 7:31 pm
Uhm I guess a handbag for a girl is a wallet to a guy ehh? :D
Sometimes, but not necessarily. Guys can have "handbags" too! :D

Not much of a "story" here but anyway heres my best handbag purchase.....

I went to the Christian Dior store to buy a handbag there and the lady said there would be a 6 week wait. I prepared myself for the LONG wait but she called back a day later saying they had new deliveries in the day AFTER i placed a deposit down. yay! :lol: So my 6week wait was actually 1 day lol :flower:

These stories are the best. DallasDiva68 - i am so glad your bag turned out to be real. I know how you felt when you weren't sure about it. Your story is so much like mine, you know i actually thought i was the only one, who got all shaky, sweaty etc bidding on stuff, its fantastic to know im not alone. :heart:

I get the Ebay hype thing too... I keep my computer on and the webpage open until it ends.. and if I lose, I get really angry! :angry:

Originally posted by luna@Mar 21st, 2004 - 12:11 pm
I get the Ebay hype thing too... I keep my computer on and the webpage open until it ends.. and if I lose, I get really angry! :angry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

i was fixated on the balenciaga motorcyle bag for a long time and knew i couldn't afford the original so when I spotted the simplified balenciaga motorcycle bags I snagged one for under 200....a few months later I go back and they're selling for like $500..

i 'm saving up to get the Dior Copacabana or Boston Bag, and I wanna be all gutsy and purchase them at a boutique, wearing sweats, in front of all those snobs......hahaha...or should i just suck it up and pay a lower price at eluxury.....oh the dilemma!!

My best buy is my LV Beige bedford which I got for $550 and it was MINT. Even smelled new. no patina at all. At that time, it was retailing for $980. i love ebay!! Oh, and sweaty palms, racing heart - that's all part of the deal :P

i'm not exactly loaded with cash so i can't go about paying top $ for bags. but i bought my very first gucci a couple of days ago...am not sure what it's called (i'll try to post a pic later)...bought it a gucci store (that was my third time to actually GO in the boutique...i usually just walk past it since i don't have the dough to buy anything there).

anyway i finally got the balls (haha. if i HAD balls) to go in and purchased said bag. i was triply excited because a friend of mine bought the same bag a year go and i was kicking myself in the **** for not buying the bag...then it became available again...since i didn't want to do another year's worth of ****-kicking, i FINALLY bought it. and i LOVE it! :woot:

I got myself a Coach Signature Resort tote about two weeks ago from the Coach store at Easton Mall in Columbus, OH. Dropped about $380 for it... it's spacey and is really comfy to wear, too.

...and oh yeahm I couldn't resist to buy a matching scarf with it, cuz it's the new thing for this season. :-D

I remember how I got my first desiigner bag. It was(still is) Fendi. I got in a vintage thing store really cheap for 4$, and the best thing is that is completly authetic. It wasn't used complitely. Whole interior was so clean. I wear this bag nearly every day. The best purchase i have ever had.

How anyone has the ability to tell the fakes from the legits on ebay, i'll never know. I certainly don't have it, that's for sure. So, thanks to my lack of fake spotting ability, i've been doomed so far to pay full price to pretty much all of my bags. This could be why my collection remains modest, although i'm very happy with it.

The only "bargain" I've gotten so far is on a Burberry patent leather covered basket bag which was on the sale table at Holt Renfrew's heh.

Dee

dont be ashamed Purr- alot of auth things are from Ebay that I own...its cool. Sometimes it is a risk though, but I guess we got lucky- youll hear all the horror stories from other members Im sure.:wink:

My baby is the Louis Vuitton Multicolore Speedy...
I did the waiting list and all... I went to many stores, called around, I was even considering having it shipped from Mexico!
But I finally got it, white and soo pretty.
Sometimes I talk to it (ok, I just lost my TFS friends...:( ) but I do adore it. I seldom wear it though because I dont want anything near it... I even wear gloves (SJP stlye) when I wear it so I dont stain the leather...:blush:

My best purchase (and still my favorite) is a little Gucci pochette that I bought off of ebay. I was so excited when I got it that I shrieked [font=&quot][/font]with delight and sent the upstairs neighbor running down the stairs (he thought I was being attacked!)

Plastic'sWife said:
Sometimes I talk to it (ok, I just lost my TFS friends...:( ) but I do adore it.

:clap: so glad to hear I'm not the only one!! I talk to my little gucci when I go on long trips, I'm not fond of driving ever since a rather nasty accident, it seems to calm me down a bit...or maybe we both just need some therapy! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->