Post Your Best Handbag Purchase(s)!

DeeGroovy said:
How anyone has the ability to tell the fakes from the legits on ebay, i'll never know. I certainly don't have it, that's for sure.

i really can't explain it, i just do :doh:
i think it's just from being around such things all the time ... you quickly learn to decipher between what's authentic and what's not.

perhaps I'm wrong on this (and if so, someone please tell me) but I've always thought that when the handles of bags are wrapped in plastic it's a good chance the bag is a fake because plastic is usually taken off at the store by a sales associate. Also, I have found that asking the dealer flat out "is this a fake" and assuring them "I will be taking this to (insert store name) to be sure" helps to weed out those less than authentic sellers

Wixxxle said:
perhaps I'm wrong on this (and if so, someone please tell me) but I've always thought that when the handles of bags are wrapped in plastic it's a good chance the bag is a fake because plastic is usually taken off at the store by a sales associate. Also, I have found that asking the dealer flat out "is this a fake" and assuring them "I will be taking this to (insert store name) to be sure" helps to weed out those less than authentic sellers

I don't think that's a really reliable guide because what if a bag was shipped to you as soon as it hit the store and was never placed on the floor? I reserved an LV Papillon in the Seattle boutique which was shipped to me the second they got it from France -- I'm not sure they even opened it! so the handles were wrapped in plastic and it had all the cardboard, etc. unfortunately, by that time I was sick of the bag so I sold it on eBay in the original packaging. granted, it's going to be uncommon but there are many more useful things to look for.

cool Wixxle! Maybe we could be friends... better yet when youre on the Westcoast, maybe little Gucci and Baby Louis can play together...
ha ha ha:lol: :wink:

my best handbag purchase?

it wasnt a major designer bag....

three years ago i scored the cutest nylon camouflage(sp?) tote with red/green handles for $3 from urban... i think the original price was around $80.... and i used it everyday as a school bag so.... :D

meeyowsa said:
I don't think that's a really reliable guide because what if a bag was shipped to you as soon as it hit the store and was never placed on the floor? I reserved an LV Papillon in the Seattle boutique which was shipped to me the second they got it from France -- I'm not sure they even opened it! so the handles were wrapped in plastic and it had all the cardboard, etc. unfortunately, by that time I was sick of the bag so I sold it on eBay in the original packaging. granted, it's going to be uncommon but there are many more useful things to look for.

hmm...I suppose that's right, my only experience with the "plastic" issue is buying directly from a boutique and the sales girl made sure to take off all the wrapping, etc. before handing it over to me. agreed, not the best way to tell, perhaps something to be slightly suspicious of at most?

went away for spring break to florida... went to Dillard's.. which was a new experience for me. Got a green bcbg signature hobo for 90 DOLLARS. I paid 362 for the same bag in blue this past summer... plus.. the color of the green is very me. That was the only good thing that happened on my vacation. :lol:

i'm glad to hear that you're back, luna :smile: :heart: and that's also great that you got that bag for such an amazing price!! :shock: i didn't even know that dillards carried bcbg... i should check the one at the mall near me...

OMG.. Dillard's had TONS of amazing sales.. You should totally go, Brian. There were other bags I wanted to buy.. but My boyfriend woulda disowned me.

my best handbag purchase was a chloe bracelet bag in the christmas sales down from £695 to £395 , the one with the red beads, possibly my dream bag and one that I had wanted for ages! I saw it from across the room and some other customer picked it up before I could get to it!!I dont think she knew what it was beyond a nice looking bag but i,m sure she was wondering who the manic looking woman hanging around behind her was. As soon as she put it back on the stand I whipped it out of her way so fast i'm sure she got friction burns on her fingers.

I have never seen the bracelet bag on sale in england and I was v. lucky to be there right place right time. It is now my fave bag - I love it!

My best purchase is a classic caramel bottega veneta bag I found on Yoox for 400 euros. It's brand new but from 2003 or 2004 collection, so it costed half the price. I also found a vintage 1970 tan bowling bag on ebay. Not that cheap (150 euros), but so beautiful, soft and lined in suede. I use this bag a lot, it has something of the chloé paddington, but unique and cheaper. I bought two others vintage bags on ebay, but I was less lucky... :blush:

my best purchase was a vintage Isabel Marant bag in brown distressed leather for €50...It's a handbag but big enough to fit books and more mess...I still use it for everything!
I also bought a black Balenciaga le dix before the hype @ +-€350 in sales, it's not that popular here so I carry it a lot, very useful bag!

I bought a Chloé paddington on ebay for 400 euros, before it had become a 'fashionista' item, in march 2005. Totally lucky, since I had to pay top dollar for my second paddington!

I've been really lucky to have had 3 great bag purchases:
1. (summer 04) before the botkier became popular, I bought it for $350 and now its selling for $600!
2. Gucci medium gold hobo for $500 in HK (almost 50% off!)... when I wore it at Neiman's back in the states the SA was saying how lucky I was for snagging the gold
3. YSL black leather mombasa for $800... great deal on a classic! (in the Manila store)

My best bag is probably my Gucci bowler. I adore the thing, and I was so paranoid when I first started carrying it, because its white. :unsure: But my paranoia was preventing me from enjoying it. So I relaxed and had alot of fun carrying it. Two times. :lol: Its been in my closet ever since. hahaha

_Users_jpc_Desktop_Gucci_Bowler_Bag.jpg

Image: Google

brian said:
i really can't explain it, i just do :doh:
i think it's just from being around such things all the time ... you quickly learn to decipher between what's authentic and what's not.

Exactly. Knowledge comes with experience. I dont buy bags off ebay anymore, but the few I did buy, Ive NEVER been conned. There are all sorts of variables to consider, but the key is to be an authority, expert, master and critic of the particular designer you want to buy. I even made it a pastime of looking at bags on ebay, and picking out the real ones. I do it to pass time at work lol, its a game to me. ^_^

DP woman, don't be afraid to use that bag! i have it and my gucci boutique had it treated so it doesn't stain... i've used it for work, i've had it rub against my jeans... and whenever i get a mark on it, i just rub it out with my thumb and its as good as new. it's a beautiful bag, enjoy it!

^^I have 2 or 3 bags i would like to get treated. I will do it before the summer for sure. Is this your favorite bag as well? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->