Prada 2006 Skirt Event

There is an article on NY Times about this. It's in the style section of the Times:smile:
Thanks for sharing, Guccigal!

i'm psyched! this coincides perfectly with my four-day trip to new york next week!:woot: :woot: :woot:

that will be a TON of fun. go to the SOHO one...and the store is redone bc of the fire.....so its all new and cool

I've been to this PRADA WAIST DOWN skirt event in Shanghai last summer.
Muccia was at the opening party.
20051202-016.jpg

guccigal07 said:
that will be a TON of fun. go to the SOHO one...and the store is redone bc of the fire.....so its all new and cool

Oh yea i heard about that fire...have no fear there are like 4 other locations to go to :lol:

^ correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the exhibition held only at the soho store?

i was just there- the exhbit is at the prada EPICENTER aka-the soho store...
:wink:

starts wed 4/19

oh great! I am guessing they aren't going to let people order what they want?

Was hoping that they would let people order. Gonna swing by the event regardless.

softgrey said:
i was just there- the exhbit is at the prada EPICENTER aka-the soho store...
:wink:

starts wed 4/19

What did you think?

from style.com

The Other Half
"Waist Down" puts the spotlight on Miuccia Prada's favorite pieces

April 17, 2006 – Last Thursday, a crew of multi-culti Prada staffers worked into the night at the company's Epicenter concept store in SoHo, exhibiting some of the fevered focus you see before a fashion show. No live models were involved here though. The team was testing the elaborate set of tableaux vivants that comprise the exhibit, "Waist Down: Skirts by Miuccia Prada." The show, which coincides with the reopening of the store after a five-alarm fire closed it on January 21, will be unveiled at a party for over 1,000 guests tomorrow night. It will then be on view to the public from April 19 to May 31.

"It's definitely going to be different than the previous cities, Tokyo and Shanghai" said Prada's Tomaso Galli, referring to the other locations where this traveling exhibit has been presented. "They've adapted the exhibition to the space." The show's roughly 100 skirts were selected by Miuccia Prada from collections dating back to 1988, and the installations, broken down into ten sub-categories, or "typologies," were conceived and designed by AMO, the creative think-tank led by Rem Koolhaas, who is also the store's architect.

Near the entrance hangs an army of 2D mannequins—cutouts of runway images cropped from the waist up and backed by mirrored panels. Inside the elevators, skirts become makeshift lamps switched on and off by foot pedals. Large swaths of fabric with matching skirts attached decorate the store's long north wall like Op Art tapestries. And in the middle of the Epicenter, on a stage lowered from the zebrawood-curved floor known as the "wave," nine mannequins required the attention of nearly as many assistants to arrange their skirts and give them each a proper pose. Come Tuesday, they will be dressed in elaborately embellished pieces that can be examined through dinner-plate–size magnifying lenses.

"The point is to be surprised," said Galli.

–Sarah Cristobal

That would be incredible. I, too, hope she picks the lipstick skirt. I've wanted that skirt since I was in high school. The collection was great but the skirts were the best.

^ i am so stoked!:ninja: this is one of the best coinsidences ever:P

here a related article from wwd.com

Skirting the Issue
By Miles Socha

PARIS — If Kayoko Ota wears more skirts these days, she can surely blame Miuccia Prada.
Ota is the curator of Prada's much anticipated "Waist Down" exhibition making its debut this week at its SoHo flagship, and while trolling through more than 30 collections, Ota gained a new appreciation for the circular garment. "I'm in a skirt every day. I find it more comfortable to be in a skirt, and more interesting than pants," she told WWD.
And how. Ota and Sho Shigematsu, who helped design the exhibition, concocted 10 display methods to instantly reveal the unusual characters of Prada's varied designs. Some spin to show off a flurry of pleats. Others are perched on a pedestal, revealing their architectural qualities and sturdy fabrication. Still others are worn by mannequins that glow, illuminating the inner workings of a garment that can be surprisingly complex in the hands of the acclaimed Italian designer.
Ota and Shigematsu are both employees at Rem Koolhaas' Office for Metropolitan Architecture in Rotterdam, a think tank for contemporary architecture and a frequent collaborator of Prada's.
Not surprisingly, their take on fashion yielded some fresh observations. "Usually when you focus on fashion design, you tend to look at the whole body or the torso," said Ota, who was once the co-editor of Telescope, an architecture and design magazine in Tokyo, and is currently a consultant to the Italian magazine Domus. "We realized that very little attention was paid to what's happening at the waist or from the waist down. It's actually where a lot of movement takes place."
Enter Shigematsu, who proposed a windshield-wiper motor to mimic the "tick-tock" swish of skirts in motion. Another trick of the exhibition is to use photos of women wearing skirts, but blown up 2.5 times to bring the imposing garment to eye level.
The exhibition, which begins Wednesday and ends May 31, bowed at Prada's spectacular Aoyama building in Tokyo in 2004 and traveled to Shanghai before landing in New York. Ota said it was updated with four new skirts from the spring-summer 2006 collection, including ones inspired by traditional tablecloths with floral prints.
"There are actually amazing ideas taking place," she said. "A lot of skirts can trigger the imagination."
Ota and Shigematsu engineered "Waist Down" to be entertaining, above all, but it is also disconcerting because it blurs the line between shopping and typical museum exhibitions. "Shopping is more of a free act. It's intuitive," Shigematsu explained. "An exhibition is a more serious obligation, where you're absorbing information."
And while the show is a testimony to Prada's innovation, it also goes beyond glorifying the brand to making people realize the potential of an unappreciated garment. Well, almost everyone. "I recommended my girlfriend wear skirts more, but that hasn't quite happened yet," Shigematsu laughed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
modeket
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->