Prada - What Went Wrong?

Discussion in 'Fashion... In Depth' started by gazebo, Jun 25, 2016.

1. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Active Member

This is what I expressed in the other thread. I don't think Raf is coming to replace Miuccia – come on, she is Prada. To me this looks more like a collaboration or getting control over Miu Miu or maybe Linea Rossa...

YohjiAddict likes this.
  2. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

Via WWD:

3. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Ooh, so the rumor is for Miu Miu. Then I can actually see Miuccia leaving the sister brand and solely focusing on Prada.

4. perfect blue

perfect blue Well-Known Member

I would just to see Raf stay somewhere for more than 5 years this time.

Lola701 likes this.
  5. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Raf at MiuMiu? The hypebeasts are happy, he will be able to wear Prada for free and Katie Grand is out of the equation!

YohjiAddict and RedSmokeRise like this.
  6. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

Only to be replaced by Olivier Rizzo. :doh:

Raf's own brand is suffering and he's taking up another one? Hasn't he learnt anything from the CK fiasco?

Sensation and Benn98 like this.
  7. Lola701

Rizzo did a great Job with MiuMiu...

Is his own brand really struggling? I’ve always felt like his business model worked for him...Even if the hype around him is not as high as it was. I’m actually surprised to see a lot his CK on Yoox or TheOutnet. Even at 60/70% off it doesn’t go away fast.

Maybe Prada might save him. I liked his menswear for CK but i still feel like the hype around him has never been effective commercially. So this might be his last chance....

YohjiAddict likes this.
  8. style_expert

style_expert Active Member

There was a time when Miu Miu had menswear too, and it was pretty good. Maybe they want to re-introduce it with Raf at the helm for both womens and mens wear?
    It’s pretty clear the Prada Group is beyond desperate at this point. Honestly, I don’t believe hiring Raf Simons in any capacity would make that much of a difference. The novelty has worn off and Raf has had too many (commercial) failures to really make it something new and fresh.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  9. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

Raf took on Calvin Klein as a blank slate which is shocking because his aesthetic was very similar to Costa. We were all expecting that kind of Calvin Klein. How do I put this nicely?.... Our expectations were not met. Miu Miu is a horse of another color. It's sophisticated at its core and far more complex than Calvin Klein ever was. If he could take it in the same direction as Jil Sander and twist it with Miu Miu then he will surely have a hit. Miu Miu is significantly smaller than Dior and bigger than Calvin Klein, so it will be a good middle ground. It's enough work to keep him busy, but not so much as to have him spread as thin as he was at Dior. Four collections per year (2-RTW, 1 Resort, 1 Pre-Fall Lookbook) is much better than six full scale productions which was absolutely absurd. I don't blame him for leaving Dior. That job was a major commitment. Miu Miu has been neglected for years so maybe one dedicated designer will bring it back to life. As long as Miuccia keeps doing Prada, I'll be more than happy.

Lola701, YohjiAddict and perfect blue like this.
  10. dodencebt

"For instance, Adidas x Prada’s collection of white bags and sneakers emblazoned with both brands’ logos helped the German sportswear label increase its overall earned media value (a metric that estimates the value of publicity, engagement and mentions online) to $26.9 million in November 2019, up 10 percent from the month prior, according to analytics firm Tribe Dynamics. However, Prada’s declined by 1 percent to $13.8 million.

It makes sense that Adidas benefited from the collaboration, which included a pricier collectable version of its classic Superstar sneaker. But Prada failed to capture the imagination of either its regular consumer base or new customers with what was ostensibly a limited take on an established sportswear staple. While Highsnobiety’s Chris Danforth said he found the combination of quality and timelessness “pretty appealing,” many on Instagram panned the two-piece collection for being “lazy” and lacking in thoughtful design."
    businessoffashion.com

11. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Active Member

There is another article on BOF behind the paywall about Prada being possibly for sale.

12. Lola701

^^
    The value of Prada might be pretty insane...It might be close to or bigger than Tiffany.

Prada, from a business point of view is not exploited to it full potential but with the L’Oreal deal and maybe the hiring of Raf for MiuMiu, it sends a signal of wanting to take things to the next level.

I don’t think that Prada will sell before trying to see if they can take things further on their own. And, let’s not forget that Prada is a group...

13. tatouejeremie

tatouejeremie Active Member

[​IMG]

bof.com

#173 tatouejeremie, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  14. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Active Member

Thanks for posting this!

About the "no markdowns" policy: Matches Fashion has just put a lot of SS19 and FW19 pieces from Prada on sale with up to 70% off.

Benn98 and Lola701 like this.
  15. dodencebt

A last minute Prada press conference has been announced for today.

Lola701 likes this.
  16. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

In a way, I find it interesting not that Prada is in such a dip, but that they don't know how to get out of it. Maybe the privilege of always being on top after all these years when so many brands had ups and downs is part of the problem. The Adidas deal, the jumbled marketing approach, the beauty range, and now Raf....I really doubt all of this is making the brand more attractive to shareholders or the end user.

jeanclaude likes this.
  17. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

Prada started to look ugly when they drop Meisel from the campaigns and they start with that 365 concept. I never like the Vanderperre ads, even if he is one of my favorite photographers. Same happen to VI in 2015/16. Those years were a break for fashion,and since then everything gets worse (Dior, hahaha).

Benn98 likes this.
  18. depordetioz

depordetioz New Member

There are rumors that Prada is selling to Kering. Opinions?

19. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Active Member

These rumors have been around for quite some time now. I personally don't believe for a number of reasons:
    • First, Prada itself is a group. There's MiuMiu, Church's, Car Shoes and even Marchesi. The transaction would be rather complicated
    • Second, Miuccia and Patrizio are extremely proud. I bet they'd rather close than sell. I can't imagine anyone from the family working for Kering.
    • Third, they wouldn't have hired Raf if they wanted to sell.