Raf Simons >creative director at Jil Sander

Fashion Puss

Reaction score
Taken from Vogue.co.uk

RAF SIMONS just might be the next Jil Sander. The Belgian designer is said to be close to signing a contract to head up the mens and womenswear collections at the house which Sander herself walked out of for the second time last year. "There's about a 99 per cent chance," a source told WWD, adding that there might even be an announcement later today. When asked earlier this month whether he might hire a new creative director for the label, which has been designed by a team since Sander's departure, Prada ceo Patrizio Bertelli said he hadn't ruled out the idea. Asked however, whether Simons might be the man for the job, he simply joked: "Who's that?" (May 26 2005, AM)

Last edited by a moderator:
JIL SANDER has confirmed that star Belgian designer Raf Simons will take over as creative director at the house as from July 1. Bringing months of speculation to an end, the Prada-owned company released a statement today announcing that Simons will be responsible for the womens and menswear collections, beginning with the autumn/winter 2006-7 collection that will be unveiled in Milan in February 2006. "I couldn't be happier to work for a brand as pure and clean as Jil Sander," Simons said today. "I am eager to carry forward the simple, pristine design that the Jil Sander name has come to represent. There is a strong affinity between how I perceive my own design and the core values that the Jil Sander brand embraces." Simons, who was born in Neerpelt, Belgium, in 1968, began his career as a furniture designer for galleries and private interiors after graduating in industrial design. He launched his own fashion collection in 1995 and has since won a variety of accolades. He was also made head professor at Vienna's University of Applied Arts in 2000. "We are exited about this decision, which we have made together with the Prada Group," said Gian Giacomo Ferraris, ceo of Jil Sander. "Working with Raf Simons will ensure strong continuity in the product that has distinguished the Jil Sander brand throughout the world." German designer Jil Sander herself launched the label in 1973. She left it four months after selling to Prada in 2000 amid rumours that she could not get on with the bossman, Patrizio Bertelli. She returned in May 2003 amid much fanfare, only to walk away again in November last year, apparently for the same reason. (May 26 2005, PM)

thanks for the info guys...:flower:
i don't really see the connection...
but i guess the collection will be the evidence...

great news
looking forward to his first take on sander, he can do this well

well thats a bit of a shocker I'd say. I am really surprised actually. I wonder what it will be like - I imagine it will be quite different from JS's last collection. I also wonder how Raf will find Prada's business. interesting times.

Exactly, Helena. It's v. good for JS but I am wondering how Raf Simons will cope with Prada's enviroment, outside his studio at Antwerp.

A big "start" in woman's wear for Raf Simons, it is. Finger crossed for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
raf simons doing womenswear?....YES!!!

I am so excited about this!

The road to ending up like Jil Sander is paved with sellouts. Let's hope Raf doesn't sell any of his own label to Prada...

man i dont know about this, i hope the raf stuff doesnt look like the collections when Jil first left.

I think he will be great, i hope he keeps a clear head though.

I’m quite surprised by this, but I’m definitely looking forward to see how it’ll turn out!

awesome! cant wait to see what he can do for the label.

nqth said:
Exactly, Helena. It's v. good for JS but I am wondering how Raf Simons will cope with Prada's enviroment, outside his studio at Antwerp.

A big "start" in woman's wear for Raf Simons, it is. Finger crossed for him.

Exactly what I fear. I don't know about this....feel a bit weary about that entire thing. Going from such a small business(despite his popularity it is extremely small)to a corporation...that's tremendous. Not to mention,down the road how the relationship with Bertelli will fair. Remember it was all flowery at the beginning for Helmut but look how it eventually ended. I hope that won't happen.

i am very excited about this.

i can't wait to see his first collection :heart:

I won´t judge for now, but it is clear that these are very difficult shoes to fit... I actually liked Jil´s collections a lot when she returned to her house, I think especially the S/S 2005 was such a strong, clean image that didn´t look boring at all...let´s see Raf´s take on her vision, since he doesn´t have a lot of experience in the women´s business, I´m guessing he might focus on tailoring instead of the flirty, feminine allure that Jil has shown in the last few collections.

tricotineacetat said:
I won´t judge for now, but it is clear that these are very difficult shoes to fit... I actually liked Jil´s collections a lot when she returned to her house, I think especially the S/S 2005 was such a strong, clean image that didn´t look boring at all... .

agreed tricotineacetat, her comeback collections were maybe her best ever
hard to follow up taking her place but i have faith in Raf, plus he's so hyped, he's destined to be a hit :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->