Jil Sander

Originally posted by Fashion Wire Daily Milan June 24@ 2003
sander--130x180.jpg
Pure Vision: Our Chat with Sander

By Godfrey Deeny

"All my male friends told me it would never work. That I should not go back," admits Jil Sander as she presents her first new designs since returning to her house last month.

"They are practical people, my friends, and they said it would be too difficult. So when I was talking with the people at Prada of coming back I thought very hard and took a lot of care to understand how this would work," she adds. "But look at Apple, Steve Jobs came back did he not? And he created the IPod. I even have a metallic Apple myself."

Dressed in a navy blue cotton pants suit and signature white shirt, Sander is clearly delighted to be back at the helm and presenting her ideas.

After quitting the house, Sander found it too painful to enter any of the house's boutiques. Instead she got Internet friendly. "I could go online and see the collections, and learn what people thought. I could read Fashion Wire Daily. I made it one of my favorite pages!"

Since settling her differences with Patrizio Bertelli, Sander spent four and a half weeks in her Milan atelier pulling together concepts with her original team here. Though models wore only 14 looks fully by Sander out of some 500 displayed in the house's Milan headquarters, already one can discern a her hand in the collection.

Starting with the models themselves -- neatly coifed young English public school types -- and finishing with the footwear, including a selection of new neat brogues, the changes were already evident.

"I decided to be more functional but sophisticated. I wanted a look that is not so equipped and suits that are in superfine cotton and relaxed, yet classical enough for a professional man like a lawyer to wear," explains Sander as a model appears.

He's attired in a new suit with pointed shoulders and more forgiving pants, made from what Jil calls, "a superfine, seersucker that almost looks like corduroy."

Sander also showed some great graphic shirts, with columns of bold stripes embroidered on one side, and color bands that stop halfway down the back. "I call them broken kilometers," Sander explains.

Sander, who is generally credited with making the first "designer sneaker" with Puma, also showed some great slip-on sneaks with ankle bands and high-tops with elastic laces.

"With Puma we started making really cool looks based on 1930s boxers shoes. We were not aware of what we had. We could have sold five million pairs!" recalls Jil, who ironically is wearing Adidas sneakers herself.

While on her enforced sabbatical, Sander kept her wardrobe fresh with looks from Comme des Garçons and Yohji Yamamoto. "I also once went into Brooks Brothers and bought myself a white shirt for a 15-year-old boy. The first thing I did when we decided I was coming back was to order 15 white shirts from my old atelier," she says, feeling the collar of the one she's wearing.

"I think it's a time for more tailoring," adds Sander, who is also studying developing a made-to-measure business. "Think of offering that sort of service in our great boutique in London. It would be fabulous to see that on Savile Row."

Jil is often called the high priestess of minimalism, though it's a title she's not completely comfortable with. "I think pure would be more the right word. Minimalism without a sense of quality and class doesn't mean very much. It's like this glass of water. We all know there's also sorts of differences between types of water, though we often can't see it."

"In these past three years there have been all these colors, prints and hippie ideas; lots of fantasy at Dolce & Gabbana and others. But I feel a correction is on the way. Anyway, I will do my own visions," Sander stresses.

Sander also bucked a recent unfortunate trend in fashion of designers dissing their predecessors. Asked what she thought of the tenure of Milan Vukmirovic during her three years away, the lady had this to say:

"In these three years I tried to have as much distance as I could. I don't want to criticize. I think it's very hard to take over a line with such a strong vision. But I believe for him that it was a wonderful experience to work with a great atelier. I understand from Mr. (Patrizio) Bertelli that Milan was going to leave anyway, but he has to think of this as a wonderful experience. Sander is like a big truck. It's not easy to drive. But if you see what Milan did when he was here it was okay."

Below are few pictures of what to expect for S/S homme collection.

Attachments

• 74644.jpg
    74644.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 20
:woot: yesss

i love the white shirt with the red stripe and those yellow trousers, Jil is such a low profile designer, I really respect her for what she is, use to see her choosing fabrics at PV, it was always just herself and one assistant while other designers just sent an army of their team to have their job done :rolleyes:

thanks for this astrid :flower:

So good to see Jil back where she belongs :flower:
I have such respect for her designs

:P
The master of simple clothes is back :blush: But who is the man who presented this spring's collection :unsure: ? :blink: Probably her loving son :wink:

Not bad at all. Nice to see her back,indeed.

Originally posted by Spider Girl@Jun 29th, 2003 - 10:12 am
:P
The master of simple clothes is back :blush: But who is the man who presented this spring's collection :unsure: ? :blink: Probably her loving son :wink:
Milan Vukmirovic designed this past S/S 2003 collection. He's done a not so great job at Jil Sander. He turned a great artistic name into something uninteresting and commerical. :ermm:

I'm so glad that Jil is back. :heart: I can't wait for her S/S 2004 collection.

Milan Vukmirovic designed this past S/S 2003 collection. He's done a not so great job at Jil Sander. He turned a great artistic name into something uninteresting and commerical

Lol! Commercial? The Jil Sander brand wasn't doing very good business since Jil left. Guess he was doing uncommercial commercial clothes :P .
Astrid I'am just kidding, I understand what you are saying and it's perfectly true. :wink:

Watch out for Jil's new scent PURE (her First perfume already had the same name Pure Woman), in stores in Europe for fall.

That's weird, Kit! I was just about to post the same article but then I couldn't be bothered...

I always thought Giorgio Armani did it better than Jil though...

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jan 11th, 2004 - 1:15 pm
That's weird, Kit! I was just about to post the same article but then I couldn't be bothered...

I always thought Giorgio Armani did it better than Jil though...
Hi again Prince of Cats :flower:

I like JIL'S minimalism , the quality and genius that Giorgio Armani also possesses.

I know Rita Britton , as an ex-pupil of mine worked with her as a buyer for Pollyanna ( check out the shop's website which proves it's not ALL grim , fashionwise , up north !!! ) .

Regards KIT B)

There's a headline on WGSN about a new Jil Sander clsh , this time with ' Massardi ' . :o

I don't have access to this site for full news . :huh:

Does ANYONE have any info ? :unsure:

Thanks in advance . :flower:

KIT :innocent:

Originally posted by kit@Mar 9th, 2004 - 9:12 am
There's a headline on WGSN about a new Jil Sander clsh , this time with ' Massardi ' . :o

I don't have access to this site for full news . :huh:

Does ANYONE have any info ? :unsure:

Thanks in advance . :flower:

tick, tack, tick, tack...

i read the article but it doesnt say much, its apparently taken from NYPost but i could not trace the original article there either. :wacko: i'm quite useless :P

so the wgsn says that
"Jil had a new personality clash with Roberto Massardi
who seems to be general manager of her company and a trusted lieutenant of Prada's Bertelli.
She often ignores him on meetings and the problem appears to be Sander's belief she does not have the creative freedom she was promised to lure her back"
truth is that Sander's comeback collection (which i saw and is wonderful) is not going as well as it was expected.. personally i have the idea that Prada is somehow 'copying' some of Sander's own ideas and incorporate them into their 'own' Prada collections

(i noted this while browsing both their ss04 collections.. some of Prada's 'pronto' >not in the fashion show< lines were very much in Sander's spirit)

edited: i cant even type, save posting big shot opinions :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 9th, 2004 - 11:04 am
i read the article but it doesnt say much, its apparently taken from NYPost but i could not trace the original article there either. :wacko: i'm quite useless :P

so the wgsn says that
"Jil had a new personality clash with Roberto Massardi
who seems to be general manager of her company and a trusted lieutenant of Prada's Bertelli.
She often ignores him on meetings and the problem appears to be Sander's belief she does not have the creative freedom she was promised to lure her back"
truth is that Sander's comeback collection (which i saw and is wonderful) is not going as well as it was expected.. perosnally i have the idea that Prada is somehow 'copying' some of Sander's own ideas and incorporate them into their 'own' Prada collections

(i noted this while browsing both their ss04 collections.. some of Prada's 'pronto' >not in the fashion show< lines were very much in Sander's spirit)
Many many thanks , LENA :heart:

It all hangs together , unfortunately . :unsure:

I DO hope that she will NOT flounce off again , as many of my female friends have welcomed her back with open arms . :flower:

does someone have a nypost account? and could do a little copy and paste? :innocent: i'm dying to know...

the link to the the original article

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->