Riccardo Tisci is Leaving Givenchy

dodencebt

Reaction score
Riccrado Tisci is leaving Givenchy. The French design house confirmed his departure exclusively to WWD, noting that his last collections were last month's fall-winter 2017 men’s wear and fall 2017 couture. Sources described the parting as mutual and amicable, the separation effective January 31, following the expiration of his latest employment agreement.
thefashionlaw.com

So the rumors were true, he will head Versace so Donatella can retire

I wonder if he will go to Versace?! All these changes are exciting....

Bravo Riccardo for the accomplishments at Givenchy. What he did wasn't an easy task and above all he made relevant again a legendary name that hasn't been relevant at least 30 years prior to his arrival.
I'll always remember the flawless collections he delivered at Givenchy and the inspiration and influence he had on people...

Sadly enough, he showed a real lack of interest in his work since maybe 2013-2014. He is just leaving at the right time...He is still has influence in the culture, has developped a kind of cult around him and the house is doing beyond good financially.

I can't wait to see him at Versace...He has basically transformed Givenchy into a modern version of early to mid 90's Versace.

Now, Bernard Arnault will have to be very clever for the Givenchy thing to not make a lot of mistakes like Pinault did.

Hedi Slimane could be the one but i believe he only have Chanel in mind...
Alber could be a little bit too sophisticated and joyful

Peter Dundas can do the job. What he did at Cavalli wasn't that great but he can do wonderful things.

I'll put Lucas Ossendrijver at the menswear.

My personal favorite at the womenswear is Ronald Van Der Kemp. He is just perfect for this and the house will not risk to loose it edge with him...

Wow I really didn't think the Versace rumors would be true.

Glad he's leaving tho. His tenure at Givenchy was definitely one of the most impactful in recent history, but his work there became unbearable to me circa 2011. Too much noise and too little work.

Slimane would be great for Givenchy...

God, not him at Versace!!! That's awful. Givenchy hasn't even been nice since 2010.

But i agree about Peter for Givenchy! If he doesn't **** it up like how he did with Cavalli though.

Another one of the industry's worst kept secrets, now let's see if the other half of the rumors are true and he goes to Donatella's rescue.

I wonder if they have already tapped a successor at Givenchy or the team will design the women's Fall 2017 collection. I hope they do not chose some all-hype, flash-in-the-pan cool designer. Pilati please!!

^ The team is designing women's Fall 2017. There won't be a show, only a private presentation for buyers.

I don't really mind what Ricardo will do from now on, I loved what He did during his early years at Givenchy but his vision is so tired and redundant at this point. Good for him if He takes over Versace...

Hopefully They will choose someone who is interested in Hubert's legacy and not a random fashion insider to keep doing streetwear.

My vote goes to Alber Elbaz :magic:

Another one of the industry's worst kept secrets, now let's see if the other half of the rumors are true and he goes to Donatella's rescue.

I wonder if they have already tapped a successor at Givenchy or the team will design the women's Fall 2017 collection. I hope they do not chose some all-hype, flash-in-the-pan cool designer. Pilati please!!

Pilati can be great even if he is a little bit too bourgeois for Givenchy. That FW12 Menswear collection he did for Saint Laurent is still IMO one of the best menswear collection ever in this decade.

We all know from now that Bernard Arnault is not afraid for his brands to change directions as long as they are backed by a strong creative force.

I'm sure they will choose someone with a strong vision.

I just hope that this time, Carine will not be involved in the hiring process...:lol:

I haven't been paying attention for a while so I did not see this coming. His work at Givenchy has been amazing but I agree with the consensus that in the last few years his work has bit kind of eh. Him at Versace though, I'm not sure exactly how I feel. I love Donnatella's work even though she has had some bland moments. Maybe she could bring something fresh to the house, assuming the rumors are true.

Tisci has done wonders at Givenchy but I can see his lack of enthusiasm since Fall 2014, everything he has created since then were mostly repetitive. I hope this move wouldn't end up being like Dundas at Cavalli. And I really hope Pilati would make a comeback and take over the brand. This man has been so underrated and I genuinely miss him so much.

YES! Finally! That's all I can say. His early collections for the house were awesome, but the last few years were boring and awful. Getting in bed with Kardashians and the like only made matters worse.

Ronald van der Kemp would fit Givenchy perfectly
Hope he gets the job

Good for him.. the second half of his tenure started to resemble that government worker that's been zombie-filing the same thing for a little too long.. lazier and more corrupted every passing day. I actually hope he doesn't go to another house right away and instead takes a couple of years off to reflect and evaluate things a little... he used to create such beautiful work and of course the potential is still there, but so polluted by this fame-wh*re needs (endorsing the bottom of the barrel of the celebrity world, turning himself into a recognizable celebrity at all costs). Maybe after some time off, he could revive his own label.. I think fashion is aching for some sense of independence..

He was kind of the best thing that could've happened to a house like Givenchy at the time, considering how it was (even McQueen sucked at it and don't get me started on Julien Macdonald :lol:).. hopefully they'll find someone with a refreshing and kind of "pure" approach to design the way Riccardo was at the beginning.

No, no, no at Peter Dundas. The designer who takes over must at least have an intellectual veneer... Pilati, Elbaz are capable.

Good for him.. the second half of his tenure started to resemble that government worker that's been zombie-filing the same thing for a little too long.. lazier and more corrupted every passing day. I actually hope he doesn't go to another house right away and instead takes a couple of years off to reflect and evaluate things a little... he used to create such beautiful work and of course the potential is still there, but so polluted by this fame-wh*re needs (endorsing the bottom of the barrel of the celebrity world, turning himself into a recognizable celebrity at all costs). Maybe after some time off, he could revive his own label.. I think fashion is aching for some sense of independence..

He was kind of the best thing that could've happened to a house like Givenchy at the time, considering how it was (even McQueen sucked at it and don't get me started on Julien Macdonald :lol:).. hopefully they'll find someone with a refreshing and kind of "pure" approach to design the way Riccardo was at the beginning.
Completely agree.

The arch of Tisci's time at Givenchy is very interesting and very clear to see. He was so critically panned early on. I think this was the best thing for him. He had something to prove. It's clear he worked really hard on those first several years worth of collections. I can still look back at his Couture collections from 2006 and 2007 and find new details and ideas and fabrications that are really stunning and frankly, haven't aged hardly a day. Very innovative and fresh approach to Couture.

Then - around 2008 (The Latin/Catholic RTW collection) he found critical success. At that point, he started to get comfortable and began to rely on codes he established. Then, the ultimate transition was when he stopped showing Couture on the catwalk and from that point on, everything looked the same. Pretty much every dress designed since that show was a sheer mermaid gown embellished to death.

I, too, would love to see him take some time off, refresh, collect his thoughts, find some new inspiration and new perspectives. It seems inevitable that he will move to Versace, and I can see that being an fruitful move - as long as he really puts in the effort. I would HATE to see a Tisci / Versace world consist entirely of digital and kaleidoscope prints. That would be hell! Haha!

In a dream world, he would revive his own label - much like Theyskens has done - I think a much smaller budget would serve Riccardo well. It would force him to innovate again - make something spectacular out of very little (comparatively to his Givenchy budget). And that kind of intimacy would serve him well, too. That was what was so great about his own label and his first two years at Givenchy. The genuine intimacy and care.

As far as who should take over Givenchy - I am not particularly hopeful the suits will pick someone who will shake things up and be brave and bold and sophisticated. Unfortunately, I suspect they will pull a Vaccarello / Saint Laurent and bring in someone cheaper who will essentially carry on the established narrative. That's just the fashion climate we are living in.

Last edited by a moderator:
all in all, i'm sad this is ending. i still somehow had faith he could be exciting again, but alas.

he really phoned it in in the past few years but many of his collections delivered some all-time-favorite fashion moments of mine.

is it confirmed he's going to versace? olivier zahm wrote on IG 'riccardo is leaving givenchy for versace' as if its a done deal but i've been away all day and haven't been following official news

It's definitely the end of an era, on par for sure with Tom Ford's departure from Gucci and John Galliano's departure (however disgraceful) from Dior. Riccardo did an awful lot to change Givenchy's entire identity, but really, to change fashion as well. I mean what he's consistently done throughout his time has truly altered how people who follow fashion dress. Like everyone else I've sort of been increasingly ambivalent about his collections over the past few years because they've become more and more familiar and formulaic, but even still he's provided fashion with a consistent pulse. I think he's leaving at a good time though. He's still someone that people look to as a tastemaker, he's more than proven his skill, and he's still young. He's got nothing but opportunity ahead of him, and if Versace is indeed in the cards then I'm truly excited to see what he'll do.

That said, I don't envy the person who will inherit Givenchy at all. Tisci is a very, very tough act to follow both creatively and commercially.

At last! Tisci's Givenchy had become so monotonous, besides the couture and a few rtw collections once in a while (fw08), there are only so many times you can reimagine a rottweiler. I hope they don't go for a stand-in like Vaccarello at YSL, there are too many brands at the moment rehashing their greatest hits. Looking forward to seeing what Tisci does at Versace, if he goes back to the Gianni aesthetic, the house could be the next Gucci and make a comeback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inafrombaki
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->