Riccardo Tisci is Leaving Givenchy

Truly the end of an era... Vanderkemp or Dundas would be interesting choices for Givenchy...

I think Dundas could be a great for Givenchy if he was able to recreate the magic of what he did at Emilio Pucci. Cavalli was an absolute disaster though so I'm not sure.

I want Vanderkemp to keep on with his own label honestly or to take over Balmain.

Don't we all want *insert any designer name* to take over Balmain? :lol:

Bravo Riccardo for the accomplishments at Givenchy. What he did wasn't an easy task and above all he made relevant again a legendary name that hasn't been relevant at least 30 years prior to his arrival.
I'll always remember the flawless collections he delivered at Givenchy and the inspiration and influence he had on people...

Sadly enough, he showed a real lack of interest in his work since maybe 2013-2014. He is just leaving at the right time...He is still has influence in the culture, has developped a kind of cult around him and the house is doing beyond good financially.

I can't wait to see him at Versace...He has basically transformed Givenchy into a modern version of early to mid 90's Versace.

Now, Bernard Arnault will have to be very clever for the Givenchy thing to not make a lot of mistakes like Pinault did.

Hedi Slimane could be the one but i believe he only have Chanel in mind...
Alber could be a little bit too sophisticated and joyful

Peter Dundas can do the job. What he did at Cavalli wasn't that great but he can do wonderful things.

I'll put Lucas Ossendrijver at the menswear.

My personal favorite at the womenswear is Ronald Van Der Kemp. He is just perfect for this and the house will not risk to loose it edge with him...

Same names came into my mind.
Slimane could be perfect but if he knows one day he would have a possibility to go to Chanel he will wait of this day.
Dundas after Cavalli disaster and after Givenchy by Tisci? If he will get the offer , he will accept, imo. His Pucci was perfect but i'm not sure he will get the offer?
Elbaz, no. I can't imagine Givenchy by Alber Elbaz.Too elegant, too sophisicated, too feminine.
Lucas makes very good menswear, i hope for him ,in case he want it.

And, yes ,at the womenswear Ronald Van Der Kemp can make a good job.

I don't know how will be Versace by Tisci, in case he will go there, i think it will be good. Versace in last time is not so good. They stepped out from Couture. Riccardo in my opinion , can make perfect Couture.
Givenchy without Tisci could be second Saint Laurent without Slimane. Not the same as it was before, imo.

Givenchy without Tisci could be second Saint Laurent without Slimane. Not the same as it was before, imo.

The most important thing in fashion is to have a vision. Galliano & McQueen did not have any vision for Givenchy. They had a strong aesthetic and point of view but it cannot work without any vision. Mc Donald did not have any vision or point of view at all so it was a disaster.

If Riccardo's successor has a vision, it will work. Riccardo was a bit like Hedi in the beginning but he believed in his vision. His first collection was seen as very pretentious and i remember the cast of his second RTW collection being criticized for being gimmicky. He did some good couture but Givenchy became Givenchy with the FW2007 collection...Which means after 8 collections.

I don't know if the industry will allow a designer to really settle his vision in that way today.

Vaccarello is maybe talented but it shows that he doesn't have any vision and while Saint Laurent will sell...He will not stay that long. You cannot come after Elbaz, Ford, Pilati & Slimane and do an average version of sexy dressing.

Maybe Dundas Cavalli effort wasn't that great but if he had the time, it could have worked.

I would love for Van Der Kemp to get the job but Dundas also made Mr Arnault very happy with what he did at Pucci. I don't know if anybody remembers Pucci before Dundas...It was mainly a glorified beachwear brand.
Dundas is as socially active as Tisci. The biggest celebrities wore his clothes, all the aristocratic it-girls are his friends and he is supported by big editors. He is more Saint Laurent than Givenchy IMO but who knows...

He did amazing things at Givenchy but the past few seasons were honestly awfully boring. Perhaps he'll do great things at Versace, he's a great designer after all.

I don't like Dundas at all so I don't want to see him at Givenchy or anywhere really. It's just sad to see incredibly talented guys like Elbaz and Pilati still unemployed even though I wouldn't necessarily associate them with Givenchy. But who knows..

Riccardo was amazing with Givenchy. I hope he goes to Versace. What an incredible talent he is. I wish him well.

Excited to see Tisci at Versace. His muses Mariacarla, Joan, Imaan, and Jamie will look stunning in the campaigns.

I don't really mind what Ricardo will do from now on, I loved what He did during his early years at Givenchy but his vision is so tired and redundant at this point. Good for him if He takes over Versace...

Hopefully They will choose someone who is interested in Hubert's legacy and not a random fashion insider to keep doing streetwear.

My vote goes to Alber Elbaz :magic:

It would be wonderful if he's ready ...

Save

Maybe Dundas Cavalli effort wasn't that great but if he had the time, it could have worked.

I would love for Van Der Kemp to get the job but Dundas also made Mr Arnault very happy with what he did at Pucci. I don't know if anybody remembers Pucci before Dundas...It was mainly a glorified beachwear brand.
Dundas is as socially active as Tisci. The biggest celebrities wore his clothes, all the aristocratic it-girls are his friends and he is supported by big editors. He is more Saint Laurent than Givenchy IMO but who knows...

Dundas Pucci was really good, it was perfect. I loved his Pucci. Giorgetti's Pucci is flop. Dundas Cavalli was also flop but he is talented designer. But has he a vision for Givenchy? It will be difficult for any new designer after 12 years of Tisci, IMO.

Me too, i think Vaccarello will not stay long. I don't know if they sell but if not than Vaccarello will leave , see, he closed his brand, so easy for him in this case will be not.

Elbaz is not Givenchy.Sincerely, i can't imagine him there. Which vision has he, his imagination of Givenchy women?

Anyway, it will be interesting to see who and where will go.

Dundas Pucci was really good, it was perfect. I loved his Pucci. Giorgetti's Pucci is flop. Dundas Cavalli was also flop but he is talented designer. But has he a vision for Givenchy? It will be difficult for any new designer after 12 years of Tisci, IMO.

Me too, i think Vaccarello will not stay long. I don't know if they sell but if not than Vaccarello will leave , see, he closed his brand, so easy for him in this case will be not.

Elbaz is not Givenchy.Sincerely, i can't imagine him there. Which vision has he, his imagination of Givenchy women?

Based on LVMH history it will probably be a hyped up designer that will be forced to produce commercial collections. In a few short years they will find themselves drifting into irrelevance and will eventually leave. Nobody will be shocked or disappointed, especially Bernard Arnault.

Ricardo has done some amazing collections for Givenchy, but the last few seasons were rather disappointing. You could feel his heart wasn't in it anymore, so I think it's time for his next move. And Tisci x Versace sounds like a very good idea!

I love Giorgetti clothes for Pucci...The not so great thing is the marketing of the new Pucci. The lookbooks and the clothes in stores are perfect but from the campaigns to the runway shows...it's all confused.

Dundas's Cavalli felt like a low-budget affair...From the casts to the presentation. The first season, he tried to tap into the Slimane frenzy and after, in reaction to the critics, he did very conventional Cavalli clothes with a very modest un-Cavalli
communication.

It must be difficult to go from a relative "big brand" supported by a big group where yo have all the ressources possible to a not so big brand that is big in people's mind and where your ressources are more limited.

Vaccarello doesn't have that aura, that charisma that all YSL previous designers had. You wanted to enter their world or at least, to be a part of it...With Vaccarello, it's maybe too pragmatic. And when you're doing decent clothes, you have to give something else.

Slimane's clothes weren't extraordinary but he had everything else.

i've heard gosha being mentioned for the menswear

Hopefully, it was just someone trying to be funny and release chaos upon us. I would rather see the brand dissolving than having a gimmick designer destroying it. Balenciaga is proof enough of the effects of hyped stylists/marketing directors. :wink:

Elbaz spent 14 years at the same brand, so I'm not sure anyone has a realistic view of the scope of his vision at this point. The original Givenchy was Audrey Hepburn's Givenchy, which isn't out of step with what we know of Elbaz at all. This Givenchy was a complete reinvention. What makes this Givenchy more worthy of preservation than the original?

As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the top designers in the world, capable of anything, and I'd be thrilled to see him at Givenchy and learn what his vision would be.

Elbaz spent 14 years at the same brand, so I'm not sure anyone has a realistic view of the scope of his vision at this point. The original Givenchy was Audrey Hepburn's Givenchy, which isn't out of step with what we know of Elbaz at all. This Givenchy was a complete reinvention. What makes this Givenchy more worthy of preservation than the original?

As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the top designers in the world, capable of anything, and I'd be thrilled to see him at Givenchy and learn what his vision would be.

That's why i can't imagine Elbaz there. I loved many of his Lanvin collections except last season,last collection i loved was a Morocco inspired collection , after this one i have nothing to remember, the last were absolutely See-Forget collections. Depends of Elbaz, he is surely very talented but i have the feeling that he has no interest to make a fashion anymore.

I highly doubt Hedi Slimane will return once again, especially now he's declared to have returned to his mediocre photography. As some have said, Ronald Van Der Kemp would be a rather good match, except that I believe he's said to be more interested in further developing his own brand...

LVMH really needs to make a good decision for once, especially after that recent Dior flop. Alber Elbaz would have been a dream at Dior, but I can see him at Givenchy as well. I agree with fashionista-ta he's capable of anything...And at least he could perhaps make Givenchy more of a luxury brand again.

Also would not mind to see Stefano Pilati popping up somewhere soon. His YSL wasn't all that bad considering what is being 'designed' nowadays by some hyped-up designers.

Tisci at Versace sounds like a good idea, and I'm glad he made the move right on time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welp. Not going to say that I am surprised as this was bound to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inafrombaki
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->