Roberto Cavalli Scandal

AD122915

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Tomas and I used to be Cavalliholic. It was during rainy april when I spotted new Cavalli Fall Winter 2005 collection on style.com. I immediately fell in love with it... I considered it to be flawless show and Roberto as a creative and innovative designer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRxp0W3ZD3o

Time was passing. One evening I was reading "Francois Baudot - Mode du siecle" and suddenly certain picture caught my eye... There was a woman sitting in wheelbarrow wearing Lucien Lelong gown. This photography was taken in 1937 by Man Ray. I was like: Wait, Roberto Cavalli had excatly the same dress at FW05 show. This gown was also worn by Kate Hudson at the Red Carpet!...

e1ef4e810f.jpg

At first I thought it was just a coincidence, but I was wrong! couple months later I was reading another book and I discovered another Cavalli outfit! It was worn by Joan Crawford in movie Letty Linton (1932) {also worn by Sharon Stone at Beckham party}. I was overwhelmed and disgusted! I kept investigating, I became very eager about seeking the truth...

fb699236cb.jpg

Then I found another proof! Jean Harlow in 1933! It was also very suspicious that each of these gowns was originally designed in 1930's!

6cfe225ac9.jpg

Then there was this certain black dress worn by Julia Stegner at Cavalli SS06 and Kylie Minogue had the same dress much earlier at party with Jean Paul Gaultier and Boy George...

One thing is to be inspired by the fashion of the last century. It is very crucial to make some progress and to reedit and reinvent the dress in a whole new way. But cavalli just copied it and changed couple details.. I was shocked.. I can also copy some dresses form the past, change couple tiny details and sell each of them for $15 000. But this isn't what fashion is all about! Fashion is about creativity, progression, expressing new thoughts and going forward together with the society...

To sum up, I'm not saying that Roberto is a bad designer. He has been working very hard to get where he is nowadays. But it is very unprofessional when one of the top designers is doing something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought designers call this sort of copying "inspiration."?

when it's not done exactly exactly it should be fine...
anyway i find these 'interpretations' at least feel like Cavalli

i think its okay when a few elements are borrowed. i do think that this straddles the line between inspired by and completely jacked from. i think the one that would cause real stir is the black and white gown.

Well...it wouldn't be the first time designer has done such a thing.

Striking Fashion...you will have to provide a source for the images you posted. Please see the Community Rules.

Thank You!

Congrats Striking Fashion - for your discoveries - and for picking the catchiest thread title lol. I was expecting something very damaging =)

i think its okay when a few elements are borrowed. i do think that this straddles the line between inspired by and completely jacked from. i think the one that would cause real stir is the black and white gown.

I agree. I'd rather see him push his own 'interpretation' a bit further and more originally.

i so agree with that but due to lack of new inspiration nowadays, they said that the 20 year period may be enoigh to revive the trend but being one of the most anticipated in the business, it is so unforgiving and they are all in one collection in one season.

too bad, that i believe that was one of the best collections of mr. cavalli ever. i used to like him....

^ditto. it was one of his best collections. And now I find it's copied. Disappointing.

Great to see you here, TOMAS.
and i love some Cavalli collections too, some Menswear suits are great.

sad but not surprising. oh he's a genius all right :rolleyes: i know it's one thing to find influence,but sorry,those dresses are just too much alike to be considered mere inspiration,imo. they look like they come from some kind of costume reproduction company not a high-end fashion label.

there s inspiration then there s copying and in this case it s the latter:innocent::innocent:how sad!!!!

i still think it's more "inspiration" than "copying". he even said that some collections were inspired by "Old Hollywood", no?

The feathers on that black and white gown (that aren't on the original) look similar to the feathers used by Schiaparelli on a certain dress for Marlene Dietrich.

Oh wow, good detective work. The first two dresses don't look very "original" to me! Very little alteration in design in those two. Lazy, lazy design team!

^lazy designer! don't blame the team....its his ideas....he dictates,examines and approves everything they do.

2 MissMagAddict: Cavalli FW05 pics are from style.com
First photograph is from the book "Francois Baudot - Mode du siecle", other two are from the book "The Fashion of a decade: 1930's"
ps: why did you move my topic to gossips? nobody reads gossips!

HAhahahahahahahaha
HAhahahahahahahaha

OMG!
This is SO good ... tho MJs scandal was better ..
:P

As much as I disliked Cavalli before....I think I dislike him more now. Why copy? Isnt he such a great designer that he cant come up with designs of his own? :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zr90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->