Russian Street Style

stl said:
They do have Zara in Moscow :rolleyes: Though it's considered like a "brand" rather than high street fashion.
yeah, they do have a good selection of high-street in moscow but I was talking about provinces where most Russians live :(

This is a STREESTYLE forum, do not post runway/award show pics. Thank you.

TheFLUFFER said:
yeah, they do have a good selection of high-street in moscow but I was talking about provinces where most Russians live :(

oh okay, I can only talk about Moscow :unsure:

TheFLUFFER said:
The difference is HUGE. Only 17% of russian women buy fashion magazines (compared to 70% who do it regularly in america), there is practically no middle class in russia if you dont take in account Moscow and maybe two or three larger cities. Therefore there is no such thing as mid-range affordable shops with fashionbale clothing in the provinces, no H&M, GAP or Zara. In America or Europe most people can go in a shop and buy a top that is affordable and resembles something they saw in Vogue, it would vary in quality of course but at least they can have the "look".

First of all, this post has nothing to do with your original post. In your original post you said that you see a ton of D2, Cavalli, and Juicy. And I asked you how is it different from the US/UK. Now you are talking about magazines and street fashion stores. Magazines, who gives a s**t about those? If you dress how the magazines tell you to dress, I feel sorry for you, really.

Then you are actually making a point that it is much harder for Russian women to dress "fashionably" (whatever that means in your book, I am confused by your conflicting posts now), because they don't have all the choiced that Westeren women have. Now think - if they did have all those choices, wouldn't they dress differently? How can you say that they have so few choicy and blame them for the way they look at the same time?

The last pictures you posted are pretty terrible, I agree. But look at MTV or Oscars, is it really that much better? Russians only copy and exaggerate what they see in Western pop culture. So, whom should we really blame?

Look, I am not saying that Russians have less style than people in the west, all I am saying that they have less MONEY and therefore less choice. That's all. A whole lot of Russians couldn't give a sh*t about their clothes cause they have to think about feeding their families. I am not saying they lack style as a genetic trait or that Americans are in any way superior in the style department.
When I was talking about people wearing Cavalli, D&G etc. I was refering to Moscow and a couple of larger cities, and ONLY to the little percentage of people who can actually afford to choose between designer lables.
Also, when I mentioned magazines I wasn't implying that dressing according to the trends in magazines is the ultimate path to style, I was just bringing up this statistics to emphasize the interest in fashion in society. This is, again,a street style tread and most people on the streets of moscow who care about trends and looking fashionable are guided by what they see in magazines. This is just reality. :wink: I am sorry I was misunderstood, i didnt meant to say anything offensive :flower:

hey i just joined this site and i love it!
i am half russian and have been living in london,england all my life. i HATE 'russian' fashion.im sorry to say it...they dress so cheap and tacky..if a woman over here were to wear what russian women do then cars would be stopping left,right and centre to ask them how much they charge an hour.most of the designer labels/clothes in moscow are either fake,crappy imitations imported from china or like 5 seasons old. how can anyone think the three girls in the first picture are dressed nicely?!?!?!
for starters, look at the one on the very right:what is with the overly faded jeans?i swear they sell cheap stuff like that in walmart or something...maybe not anymore seeing as the whole unnaturally faded jeans look went out like 5 years ago.seriously..theyre just so..cheesy.im not going to start on the rest of the girls in that picture or well be here all day...

there is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that women in places like england,america,japan,france and othere parts of europe, dress 1278907325061232525707 times better than russians do...WHO EVEN DECIDED TO COMPARE THEM TO RUSSIA???geez...thats my rant done. every country has its strengths and weaknesses but fashion is certainly russia's biggest downfall.i love my country and all but living here in the uk has made me see how lucky i am that i dont live there anymore and wear the cheap,tacky,tarty clothes like the rest of the girls there.

OMG, Donnie, get ready, somebody is going to get MAD once they read this haha :nuke: :boxer: actually, my boyfriend whos american, and most of his expat friends think majority of russian women dress like they want to bone, however there are lots of exceptions, you shouldnt generalize like this. I've been living outside of russia most of my life but come back here a lot and i really do begin to see the improvement, people have more money, they travel more and are beginning to get influenced in a positive way by what they see in other countries. Every year I find the average crowd less and less ridiculous/tarty/cheap :wink:

yea i agree with u a little,fluffer,they are imrpoving but you have to admit that t hey are no way near 'western' standars or whatever one chooses to call them.im not going to say any more..just go back a few pages and look at the so called russian 'fashion gurus' and celebrities(and the sort u know what i mean--ppl with money and access to a lot of shops etc) and look at how they are dressed.

i seriously dont know whether to laugh or cry.they are just...a joke.

found them refreshing:smile: from www.livejournal.com/~fruits
DSC_0248.jpg
DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg
DSC_0017.jpg

exactly my point!!
although the second batch of pics arent as bad as the first!
i actually like the shoes on the two goth girls!

This is so different from anything we wear in America---I love the Street Style threads!

Some of your comments are a little harsh. When Teen Vogue featured the "Decora" girls people were applauding them for dressing so differently. I admit its not the best,but you can't say they don't have style just because it happens to be different from yours.
529_1809_34527.jpg

1147_1804_f3649.jpg

327_1806_aad73.jpg

Didn't Camren Diaz wear a similar outfit to the Nickolodean Kids choice award?

136_1753_bc17d.jpg

And contrary to popular belief fashion isn't a new concept to Russia. Before the collapse many Russian woman had that classy tailored look. My mother who happens to be from a small Russian province has some great pictures that will back up my statement(since this is Moscow Street Style I don't think posting those here will be appropriete).If you watch any of the old (Russian) movies you will see that Russians were more influenced by the Europeans and now since the collapse it's nothing but America,and it's obvious what American actress/softcore-p*rn star these women were influenced by. Yes,I know this is suppose to be about fashion,but I just wanted to put my two cents in.

Photos credited-http://www.kto-v-chem.ru/

Yes I know,but some might argue that Im fueling the fire. I really don't want to get in the middle of this whole thing. Both of the sides seem to be over-passionate about the topic.:flower:

SevenWeeksLater said:
And contrary to popular belief fashion isn't a new concept to Russia. Before the collapse many Russian woman had that classy tailored look. My mother who happens to be from a small Russian province has some great pictures that will back up my statement(since this is Moscow Street Style I don't think posting those here will be appropriete)

i know that i can't speak for the whole forum but i'd love to see those pictures. :flower:

They are actully quite nice,Ill scan them tomorow and make a fotki or something I don't want to break the rules:blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->