Russian Street Style

Yeah, sorry forgot, first pics are from 9lines.ru and the sunglasses pics are from www.go-magazine.ru!

The people in the Moscow pics dress waaaaay better than the others on this thread.

i think i love russian style i'm afraid. i mean...i know a lot of the clothes are rather tacky, but they're at least enthusiastic about style. i hate that style which is "i just rolled out of bed, and didn't think about my appearance".
yay russians!
(i'm part russian :smile: )

Hi everyone, I am new here and I just want to share some of my opinion on this topic. I am not Russian, but I'd been living in Moscow for some time and here's what I had learned:
1) Russian people are over-sensitive when it comes to Western articles (especially American) on their culture, politics, etc.
2) Propoganda is their beloved word.
3) People in Moscow do dress up alot. Personally I think we all have our own style, someone likes comfy stuff and some need to catch everyone's attention. But in Moscow, you're either with them or you will get weird looks.
4) They are brand - obsessed, though I saw many girls on the streets with fake LV, Gucci bags.

Okay, let me think of other points.

henriette said:
gawd awful. what are these women thinking?

faust: "but that's a learning curve which I think Russians are zooming through quite quickly" I don't know about that. I live in SF and the Russian women that have been here since the '80s still dress that way. I think they think its pretty.:shock:

what you are looking at are middle aged emigres who came to the US in early 1980', which is in no way connected to how they dress today in moscow and st.p. the batch of pictures that EllaH posted are better than 90% of what you see anywhere in the US.

what do you dress like? why don't you post a picture in 'what are you wearing today?' or describe it? let's see if you are fit to judge these people.

stl said:
Hi everyone, I am new here and I just want to share some of my opinion on this topic. I am not Russian, but I'd been living in Moscow for some time and here's what I had learned:
1) Russian people are over-sensitive when it comes to Western articles (especially American) on their culture, politics, etc.
2) Propoganda is their beloved word.
3) People in Moscow do dress up alot. Personally I think we all have our own style, someone likes comfy stuff and some need to catch everyone's attention. But in Moscow, you're either with them or you will get weird looks.
4) They are brand - obsessed, though I saw many girls on the streets with fake LV, Gucci bags.

Okay, let me think of other points.
:woot: I agree with all the points mentioned above - russians do get pissed when somebody is trying to potray them as anything but "civilized and cultured", civilized has to be their second favorite word after "propaganda" of course. The thing is Russia is still a brutal savage country. ALthough there are boomtowns like MOscow and St. Petersburg (much less so) that have gone a long way from having 3 varieties of wintercoats in shops, the majority of people in provinces live below the poverty line and are reduced to buying the vietnamese crap on the market. The percentage of people with decent disposable income who take advantage of fashion magazines, shows, boutiques etc. is very very small. There is defintetly a growing interest in Russian designers and places like Le Form and Marki do make money. HOwever if you go to the streets of moscow most of the stuff you see is, well... tacky. D&G are GODS, also Cavalli and Dsquared, Cavalli now is what Versace used to be to Russians ten years ago. Juicy Couture appeared two years ago and its a big hit now I saw a girl in a trendy restaurant wearing a pair of UGGs for the first time in moscow last weekend. :blink:

TheFLUFFER said:
The percentage of people with decent disposable income who take advantage of fashion magazines, shows, boutiques etc. is very very small. There is defintetly a growing interest in Russian designers and places like Le Form and Marki do make money. HOwever if you go to the streets of moscow most of the stuff you see is, well... tacky. D&G are GODS, also Cavalli and Dsquared, Cavalli now is what Versace used to be to Russians ten years ago. Juicy Couture appeared two years ago and its a big hit now I saw a girl in a trendy restaurant wearing a pair of UGGs for the first time in moscow last weekend. :blink:

And this is different from the US/UK how?

I'm sorry , but we are not so bad and we have style

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, I was hoping for pics in this thread... I'm from Moscow but I haven't been there in ages. :-( I'll go one day.

WEll, I understand the contoversy of this thread. She said Russian women dress tacky, he said they have been known to dress well. She asked how is it dirrerent from any other nation. You have to understand that russian people have a different mindset. I wouldn't say this if i weren't Russian. Communism did its thing, people are still straving for 'pretty'. So come on over Dolce & Gabbana!

Not saying any of this to be mean, I'm just saying what I think-_-..Understated elegance? That seems to be a hard concept to understand in Moscow, sorry but..Miuccia Prada is often called a 'hideous woman'. But interestingly enough, Italian style predominates. French chic? Eh..

Living in Canada now..the difference is that individual style is a known concept here.

WEll, I understand the contoversy of this thread. She said Russian women dress tacjy, he said they have been known to dress well. She asked how is it dirrerent from any other nation. You have to understand that russian people have a different mindset. I wouldn't say this if i weren't Russian. Communism did its thing, people are still straving for 'pretty'. So come on over Dolce & Gabbana!

Not saying any of this to be mean, I'm just saying what I think

faust said:
And this is different from the US/UK how?
The difference is HUGE. Only 17% of russian women buy fashion magazines (compared to 70% who do it regularly in america), there is practically no middle class in russia if you dont take in account Moscow and maybe two or three larger cities. Therefore there is no such thing as mid-range affordable shops with fashionbale clothing in the provinces, no H&M, GAP or Zara. In America or Europe most people can go in a shop and buy a top that is affordable and resembles something they saw in Vogue, it would vary in quality of course but at least they can have the "look".

1031_1769_caafa.jpg
Russian Fashion Awards from www.kto-v-chem.ru

Actually I don't think Americans are known for their style either...and it's scary how most of the world seem to look to them for style. But hey just my observation.

These are the richest and allegedly the most stylish people in Russia

840_1748_07d6a.jpg

553_1761_0a87b.jpg

This is the girl who works as the "fashion expert" on MTV Russia

TheFLUFFER said:
The difference is HUGE. Only 17% of russian women buy fashion magazines (compared to 70% who do it regularly in america), there is practically no middle class in russia if you dont take in account Moscow and maybe two or three larger cities. Therefore there is no such thing as mid-range affordable shops with fashionbale clothing in the provinces, no H&M, GAP or Zara. In America or Europe most people can go in a shop and buy a top that is affordable and resembles something they saw in Vogue, it would vary in quality of course but at least they can have the "look".

They do have Zara in Moscow :rolleyes: Though it's considered like a "brand" rather than high street fashion.

Here are some thoughts on Moscow's street fashion scene:
1) Lots of see through
2) Lots of tight jeans, tees, tops, pants...
3) Heels and pointy toes
4) Bright colors
5) Designer bags (even if fake)

I would say Moscow looks like a big catwalk for Dolce & Gabbana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->