Russian Street Style

I love the pictures, FIFA! The floppy sunhat is an especially nice touch, but I agree that most of the looks come off as slightly tacky.

A friend of mine just returned from summer study split between Moscow and St Petersburg. She told story about her host family calling her to the television to watch a very popular late night TV host and was surprised to find a drag queen who puts Boy George to shame. She didn't come across a lot of gay pride in Russia so she was initially taken aback by his popularity. Between that and their 15 year old White rapper who thugs it up as much as he can but is most famous for his cutesy hit "Drink Beer!", she playfully postulated that Russians just lack the cheese factor. Everything is done seriously and to the utmost -- if you're going to wear logos, wear as many of them as possible. If you're going to dress as a woman, do it as convincingly and shockingly as possible. And apparently if you're going to dress to impress, do it constantly and look as put together as these ladies do on the streets of St. P. ^^

I'm going to go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart later today and buy more batteries and memory for my camera so that I can take some pictures of people on the street (and everything else :smile: ) and post them when I come back.

I can't believe that I'm leaving in less than two weeks. I'm beyong excited. :D

Kseniya said:
I'm going to go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart later today and buy more batteries and memory for my camera so that I can take some pictures of people on the street (and everything else :smile: ) and post them when I come back.

I can't believe that I'm leaving in less than two weeks. I'm beyong excited. :D

you don't need a new battery - just buy a battery charger adaptor for $1 in a hardware store.

The girl with the red hairband looks decent enough compared to the others.

Czilla, that was such an interesting post. I have never been to Russia, but what you say is characteristic of all of Dostoyevsky's characters. :P
Perhaps that sheds light on why they excel so much in all the performing arts and many sports...ballet, opera, tennis, etc...is it because they go at it full force?

I had one glamorous Russian friend who went back to Moscow; she was glamorous through and through; rich, tall, blonde and beautiful, she wore nothing but high end designer and sashayed down the street talking in a loud, domineering voice as if she owned the entire town, what a character!! She never asked, said, or told: she demanded. :lol: Actually she was quite lovable and sweet though, I miss her.

[ I She never asked, said, or told: she demanded. :lol: [/QUOTE]

:D It so in russian

Welcome to SPb, Kseniya :flower:

More pict

Pinkomania

345135.jpg
345134.jpg

346111.jpg
345057.jpg

Bleh,the girls all look like they've been in Paris Hiltons closet.Im going to Moscow next year,I assume the fashion is the same there?

I'm leaving tomorrow and I'm arriving in St. P Monday afternoon. I can't wait and I'll make sure to take lots of pictures for you guys! :smile:

ok, this may be a little off-topic, but many of the Russian women here in SF still dress like its 1982 (and I'm sure most of them have been living in the states for some time now). I can always spot a Russian woman by her overprocessed hair, (often worn with a large puffy clip-on bow), too-tight pants, nylons in the summer (sometimes worn with sandals, UNDER the too-tight pants), fluffy pastel cowl-neck sweaters, and topped off with heavy makeup (in lovely pastel shades) and heavy perfume. Oh, and let's not forget the '80s blouson-style leather coat...

this sounds bad, I know...but I can spot them a mile away. and the thing I don't get is that there are so many gorgeous Russian models that they can use as inspiration RIGHT THERE in the magazines next to the check-out line at Safeway. why can't they leave the '80s behind? i don't get it.:shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
gawd awful. what are these women thinking?

faust: "but that's a learning curve which I think Russians are zooming through quite quickly" I don't know about that. I live in SF and the Russian women that have been here since the '80s still dress that way. I think they think its pretty.:shock:

ok the younger ones look better. I think the cut-off age for cool here is 25.

Ella those Moscow streetstyle photos are great karma for you,
thanks for putting these here cause we've been slightly worried regarding Russian streetstyle, seems its not all that 'bad' after all .. :smile:

please kindly POST SOURCE of pictures posted :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"