Sarah Burton - Designer, Creative Director of Givenchy

unfortunately we live in a world where demna is a fashion designer and burton isnt.
Being a fashion designer means creating fashion. Like it or not, Demna has been super influential for a while. I don’t like him but he did have a vision.

Sarah… she’s belongs in the crafts week at Lyon. She doesn’t have a universe, she doesn’t have any point of view. There’s nothing fashion about her. And to be a fashion designer you need a fashion POV. It’s like considering Elle Saab a fashion designer. He is not. He is a dressmaker of corny dresses. But even him has a stronger POV than SArah tbh.

Givenchy's renown is built on elegant, iconic silhouettes that have always remained stylish, even if they fell out of style. In its bones, it's a rather conservative house. Burton herself has shown a love for shapes, styles, and themes from the past, even while interpreting them for modern life. So a traditionalist designer will be heading a traditionalist house; I think it should be a good fit. Under Burton's watch, Givenchy will likely become the brand for women in the C-suite who want to look polished with a bit of edge and glamor but not outrageous — and who don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb.

Givenchy's renown is built on elegant, iconic silhouettes that have always remained stylish, even if they fell out of style. In its bones, it's a rather conservative house. Burton herself has shown a love for shapes, styles, and themes from the past, even while interpreting them for modern life. So a traditionalist designer will be heading a traditionalist house; I think it should be a good fit. Under Burton's watch, Givenchy will likely become the brand for women in the C-suite who want to look polished with a bit of edge and glamor but not outrageous — and who don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb.
We already have that with the current incarnation of Dior under MGC. It wouldn't be smart for two LVMH brands to target the same market.

We already have that with the current incarnation of Dior under MGC. It wouldn't be smart for two LVMH brands to target the same market.
I'd disagree in that Dior is 1) not exactly what I'd consider sober, what with the slogan t-shirts and "Miss Dior" writing all over everything; and 2) the price point is beyond C-suite executives and more geared to heiresses and nepo babies. Dior is aiming to rival Chanel these days. Pricewise, Givenchy should definitely be on a tier beneath Dior, more on the level of Ferragamo and YSL.

^There are many C-suit clients at Dior though. They have the boutique line that is a best seller among corporate ladies and the price is not outrageous a la Chanel suit.

MG brought many clients from the offices for her reinterpretation of the Bar jacket…

Being a fashion designer means creating fashion. Like it or not, Demna has been super influential for a while. I don’t like him but he did have a vision.

Sarah… she’s belongs in the crafts week at Lyon. She doesn’t have a universe, she doesn’t have any point of view. There’s nothing fashion about her. And to be a fashion designer you need a fashion POV. It’s like considering Elle Saab a fashion designer. He is not. He is a dressmaker of corny dresses. But even him has a stronger POV than SArah tbh.

yikes i just cant take any of this seriously... statements like this make me realize we deserve ancora guy, new mcqueen guy, and ludovic doing jpg.

Demna had his time but he is stuck in that world now. atleast the crafts week designer was able to reinvent her signature looks every season. upto now mgc wish she could design like burton, and unfortunately for her, burtons givenchy might be a direct competitor to her dior c-suite clients. Lets not even talk about burtons upcoming couture collections... If she delivers, givenchy will lead couture week and sales. The nepo babies, influences, and monogram enjoyers will remain at dior though so mgc will be just fine.

EXCUSE ME??????????????????????????? Image-making / a brand's visual identity is a marketing tool and all the names you've mentioned have produced iconic imagery for their brands that is still revered and referenced today. Ghesquiere's runway shows are, for many of them, iconic, and so are Margiela's etc.

I'm indifferent about her appointment, like many said, she's not a creative director to me. Good at making clothes, but that's about it. I always found it ironic that when she left McQueen some acted as if we had lost a major name in fashion after years of ignoring her work there. La mode...

At least, the clothes will look sharp. Can't be worse than what they have produced for the past years.
I don’t think she is a CD either but Givenchy doesn’t need that tbh. We don’t need a change of logo, a particular vision for stores. I think her work as a designer will work perfectly for a house like Givenchy.
Sometimes, enough is just perfect.

Then marketing, merchandising and communication teams will do their work. I think that this is a perfect match.

Givenchy is a big name but has never had that much influence in terms of fashion.

I think the brand needed a strong voice. She has voice. She doesn’t scream but it’s noticeable enough to pay attention. And she is a safe bet.

I expect nothing from her...and I am sure she will deliver! Sarah at Givenchy fits better than at McQueen.

A parade of pretty, pretty dresses coming in 3,2,1...

i somehow feel she will go the john galliano route, go to dior right after givenchy.
yeah but if she can design or direct her team to do hit bags if no then won't happen (MC did bags before doing RTW at Valentino that's why she is working well at Dior feeding the acc machine season after season some bags/shoes work out others die seasons later but she provides enough novelty to keep the stores selling like it or not)

Sarah is super weak in the acc game beside brand building this is the bottom line of business.

yeah but if she can design or direct her team to do hit bags if no then won't happen (MC did bags before doing RTW at Valentino that's why she is working well at Dior feeding the acc machine season after season some bags/shoes work out others die seasons later but she provides enough novelty to keep the stores selling like it or not)

Sarah is super weak in the acc game beside brand building this is the bottom line of business.

Her accesories were quite strong but mcqueen was/is never really anyones choice for leather goods as its mainly a fashion brand. We will see how her accesories do at givenchy. She atleast had the sneakers and maybe the knuckl clutch, curve got some popularity too. The heroin was nice but never caught on unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zyasiagrissom
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->