Self-cut hair

self-cutting a short style!

did it twice. the reason is i usually go to the hairdresser once a year or once (if i go a lot..) but the last 3 times they cut my hair in the way i specifically told them not to:blink: so i thought, even if i do my worst, i'll be happier with it than if i go to another "professional" that does what i want to avoid.
FIRST TIP (HIGHLY IMPORTANT:( PATIENCE.
fool proof: took little amounts of hair, measuring the lengh with the lenght of a comb and cut at the end of the comb. this way all your hair will have the same lenght. you end up having the style you get when you let your hair grow for two years after shaving it.
the other time, i used a set of mirrors to see the back of the head. the key for not getting a weird area is to not make any drastic cuts. if you do a gradient it's easier to hide a flaw. for instance, i cut the back really short and longer in the front. it looks drastic but the gradient makes it softer and nobody that watched it up close believed i cuted it myself!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always do it. But I'm actually going to the hairdresser on Friday because I know that I can't do anything dramatic...

When I had thick hair (those were the days sighhh)..I would literally just start snipping bits off here and there to give it a layered choppy effect and it actually looked good. it gave my hair bounce because the weight of my hair was pulling it down. Now that my hair is alot of thinner i cant get away it :(
I do think having hair done by a professional is about trial and error. Most of us dont have the patience or time to keep trying different hair stylists, hence why we opt to diy it :smile: Some professionals really are a disappointment (toni and guys- yes im talking about you!) lol

i cut my fringe when i feel like it.. usually in the summer i get my hair done professionally but i tell ya, that 130 bones down the drain hurts

I have and don't plan to do so any time soon. I messed up of course it wasn't so bad. I hid my mistakes and let it grow out. I also trim my own hair. No professionals needed ^_^

thanx for the tips and input! nice to know that it can be done :smile: it turns out a lot of you have the same hair type as i do, so i'll give it a try once my hair grows out.
i cut my bangs several times. it normally works out fine, last time was a disaster.
my hair is wavy, and i pulled my bangs taut to trim at about brow length. when i let go, it sprung back to a curl, and it was much shorter than expected to make kind of a pseudo mullet.
but time heals.

I don't cut my hair myself but let my mom do it. She's pretty good at cutting it and as long as I don't want something extravagant I'm trusting her with my hair.
My sister is cutting her bangs herself and she always looks great.

I have been cutting my own hair since I was 12. Around 20 years old, I started cutting the hair of the others, nothing to do with my job, but I love cutting hair!
I have never liked the way others cut my hair.

My mom cuts my hair, i think it's better this way because usually at the salon they take way too much off or just do their own thing and charge a fortune.

I always cut my own bangs, I have for years. They just grow so dang fast that it's not worth it to go to a stylist every 2 weeks.
I also invested in a pair of thinning shears, I have really choppy layered hair so every couple of months I just run that through the ends and it sort of cleans the layers up. Saves me $ in the long run.
I also suggest to people if you really can't afford an expensive hairdresser (personally I don't have that kind of $) try going to a beauty school. I know there are some great ones in my area, and they don't charge much at all. I've gotten some great haircuts at beauty schools, plus a lot of time you can get it for free if a student needs a model for an assignment :P

that video is amazing! :heart:
i've been cutting my own hair lately.. it's growing out after having shaved it a year and a half ago, and it's pretty curly so it looks okay.. messy but tolerable!. :P i should go and get it done professionally but i'm sort of addicted to doing it myself now.. :o i'm really not very good but there's something satisfying about doing it yourself and learning along the way..

^everything you said there is 100% true for me, down to shaving it a year and a half ago. i have my friends cut the back.

if your hair is thick and not perfectly straight, go for it!

Cutting my own hair would be nothing short of an adventure with an uncertain outcome.

^ that's the fun of it haha
But I've learned to leave any major cutting to a pro. I always cut my own bangs though, they grow so fast that I don't have the time to go to a stylist every 2 weeks for a trim. And I always cut them how I like them and sometimes the stylist cuts them different.

It depends on what kind of look you want. I've done my own cut when I wanted it short (chin-length) and messy. When I tried bangs I always cut them myself, I was really good at it too. :wink:

Now that my hair is fairly long, I want sleek, even ends, so I'd never touch it myself with scissors.

^very true. When I had a very sleek vidal sassoon style bob I wouldn't dare do anything but trim the bangs but when I had a longer shaggy, textured bob it really made little difference if I cut into it myself :P

I've cut my own hair for as long as I can remember.. i've got thick semi-wavy hair so the cut never even shows so it can be cut as terribly as I like :smile: ....

^ haha that's awesome! My hair is the opposite, fine and super straight so if I mess up it's going to show big time, you're lucky.

i think it was about 6 years ago that i visited my hairdresser to cut my hair :P i either do it myself or my mum does it for me (she actually has been a hairdresser for quite a long time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->